Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,737,068 Members 47,468 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Unable to Re-Root Droid 2 after Gingerbread OTA

Tip us?

vincey2kr1
Old
Thanks Meter 27
Wireless tether fixed yet? Having the same problem.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using XDA App

draftmaster01
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Default Droid 2 Wireless tether (not usb tether)

I was wanting to know if the problem you are having is related to the Droid 2 (after rooting since the verizon update in Sept 2011) not being able to connect via wifi to a static IP router with a fixed IP. I need this for a special connection that revolves around a shared computer network that is in not connected to internet. I have tried everything in this thread I found and even got my droid rooted where the USB tether works and I appear to have SU rights now. However, I know nothing about the programing language of smart phones and I rooted with a one click root from Pete Souza. THANKS PETE!!! but just got to get this thing to connect to a static IP without going through this "obtaining IP" "Connected", "Disconnecting" loop problem. If I enable the DHCP on the linksys router, it will connect. However, the particular PLC type network will only function on a static IP system for all of it's clients. The stupid Ipods and Ipads we have will connect to static. Why wont Android??? I am just trying to be able to view and interface the view on the desktop computers on this system so I can operate industrial equipment from remote locations throughout a factory without having to use the Ipads and Ipods.

BigNateG
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Hi There!
Like others on this thread, I have D2G that was rooted with z4root. I allowed the OTA upgrade without un-rooting. It came back up but I am unable to re-root using Pete's Motorola Root Tools. The app finds the phone, runs the exploit, then attempts to reboot the phone, but never succeeds. The phone powers off and then comes back up to the bootloader screen. I unplug it and restart, plug it back in and attempt the steps listed in this thread:
Quote:
Open a command prompt in the support_files folder where adb is located.

Get into the shell by typing: "adb shell"

type "/system/xbin/su"

This will pop-up a prompt on your phone to allow Superuser access - just click Okay.
but I get the message that says '/system/xbin/su: not found'

Please help!

dnilsen
Old
Thanks Meter 0
I'm feeling dumber than usual so hopefully my issue is easier to fix.
My phone was rooted until the last upgrade.

I downloaded the drivers (Win 7/64) and connected my phone.
I ran Pete's Motorola root program (as root).

It found my phone. It said rebooted my phone. then nothing.
I've run it connected for power only and as PC. No difference.
The phone is fine. The rooting process just stops after the phone gets rebootted.

Can anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong so that it stops where it does?

Tracker557
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default Wifi Tether

My Wifi Tether issue issue solved.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...1246184&page=3

gzusphish
Old
(Last edited by gzusphish; 27th November 2011 at 03:38 AM.) Reason: Adding abbreviated quote of the solution. Adding link to solution post.
Thanks Meter 0
Default Thanks for this post

Quote:
Originally Posted by drumster View Post
I have a D2G and I had the exact same problem.

[Contents removed for brevity]

After this just exit out of everything and run the 1-click root again. It should work now.

======================
All credits to psouza [Redacted since forum didn't want me to post links yet]
======================
Rooted Froyo R2D2 with Z4Root. Gingerbread stomped my root. Tried rerooting with SuperOneClick, but failed. Followed Pete Souza's step-by-step instructions in this post by drumster and got a freshly rooted astromech...mmmm...golden, brown, and delicious.

So a hearty and resounding thank you to drumster for posting the instructions. You sir are a scholar and a gentleman. Unless you're not a sir. In which case, you ma'am are a scholar and a lady.

Also, I tip my hat...wait...not wearing it...lemme put it on...there...

I tip my hat to Pete Souza; the gentleman who had the answer to my question. As a token of my gratitude, I give you this comma "," to do with as you please. Feel free to use it the next time you read a list that omits the comma before the 'and', or find independent clauses that are incorrectly joined. You may find it helpful to print your new comma on a transparency and hold it over the screen as you read; that way you can repair sentences as you find them. More than likely you'll find a use for your comma somewhere in this post.

orcson
Old
(Last edited by orcson; 1st February 2012 at 08:53 PM.) Reason: wrong quote
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigNateG View Post
Hi There!
Like others on this thread, I have D2G that was rooted with z4root. I allowed the OTA upgrade without un-rooting. It came back up but I am unable to re-root using Pete's Motorola Root Tools. The app finds the phone, runs the exploit, then attempts to reboot the phone, but never succeeds. The phone powers off and then comes back up to the bootloader screen. I unplug it and restart, plug it back in and attempt the steps listed in this thread:
but I get the message that says '/system/xbin/su: not found'

Please help!
I have exactly the same problem BigNateG. Has anyone found a solution to the problem???

I have a milestone 2 on android 2.3.4; Build MILS2_U6_4.1-22

aod420247
Old
Thanks Meter 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by orcson View Post
I have exactly the same problem BigNateG. Has anyone found a solution to the problem???

I have a milestone 2 on android 2.3.4; Build MILS2_U6_4.1-22

third this problem. anything in a way of a response to this would be awesome!

my issue is that i sbfed the phone, but there is still AFTER the sbf, the apex boot screen and also i think remnats of the root left behind. if an sbf flash wont kill this stuff then what will? how do it get it to flash back to froyo? i had to use a gingerbread sbf to even get it to flash, all the other sbf files were saying chipset type 50 not supported??? will the latest version of rsd lite flash the very first sbf to this phone?

Chuck4197
Old
Thanks Meter 0
I know this is a bit of an old thread but im going to fourth this problem.... same exact thing where the droid 3 one click root (now V 1.8) goes through everything but fails at the final step and throws an error about not being able to add superuser and busybox. Though when i go to the shell in the command prompt it says /system/xbin/su: not found.... i have 2.3.4 and recently just sbf'ed to fresh to that from a previous failed rom attempt (was rooted prior to that too)

not sure what to do to get my droid 2 rooted again...

thanks

supergear
Old
Thanks Meter 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck4197 View Post
I know this is a bit of an old thread but im going to fourth this problem.... same exact thing where the droid 3 one click root (now V 1.8) goes through everything but fails at the final step and throws an error about not being able to add superuser and busybox. Though when i go to the shell in the command prompt it says /system/xbin/su: not found.... i have 2.3.4 and recently just sbf'ed to fresh to that from a previous failed rom attempt (was rooted prior to that too)

not sure what to do to get my droid 2 rooted again...

thanks
It's amazing what you find when you actually look http://rootzwiki.com/topic/29930-new...d-droid2-r2d2/

Tags
droid 2, gingerbread, one click root, ota, re-root