[Guide] How to restore to pure stock (no root, FFF, etc.) with TWRP

Search This thread

iDylan1357

Dec 24, 2010
just thought I'd post as a quick note;

if you wish to restore to stock from CM7 or just go back to stock with no root or FireFireFire at all, TWRP works for it. quick tutorial:

1. download amazon's stock software: http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html/ref=hp_navbox_kspot_fireupdate?nodeId=200790620

2. rename it to update.zip and place on root of sdcard

3. boot into TWRP and wipe cache, dalvik cache and factory reset

4. flash update.zip, however it will stop the install mid-way and say it can not find the misc volume or something, but fear not

5. boot up and you'll be restored to stock! note FireFireFire and TWRP will have to be re-installed as well as re-root

I had issues at first boot like WiFi not working, but a factory reset changed that. now I'm gonna reinstall FFF and TWRP for some kernel action :D

gqkevyn

May 24, 2008
This worked for my Kindle Fire. But it did give me a scare though, since after I flashed it the Kindle Fire seemed to be on a boot loop as it kept blinking the "Kindle Fire" boot screen over and over, but then it suddenly started up.

lonelliott

Dec 17, 2011
When I try to do this, I get an error from TWRP saying that it could not mount /sdcard/udpate.zip, any ideas?

lonelliott

Dec 17, 2011
I will check it again to be safe. Also, I tried to do a restore with a system.img and it said the file was to large, using fastboot and quit the flash.

zonbal33

Sep 30, 2009
This worked for my Kindle Fire. But it did give me a scare though, since after I flashed it the Kindle Fire seemed to be on a boot loop as it kept blinking the "Kindle Fire" boot screen over and over, but then it suddenly started up.

its happening to me now too. im stuck at the "KINDLE FIRE" bootscreen, but it hasn't moved yet. how long did yours sit there for until it fully booted? no clue what to do now?

ive tried everything i could think of: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1443107

if you guys know of anything please let me know...have a giant paperweight until then :mad:

EDIT: DO NOT USE THIS METHOD, YOU WILL BRICK YOUR KINDLE!

Last edited:

kmmxracer

Oct 5, 2010
Phoenix, AZ
This method worked perfectly for me, first go. Way easy. I was on one of the latest CM9 builds and downloaded the stock files from the Amazon link posted by the OP.

-Re-name the file in ES File explorer to update.zip
-Moved it to the root of the SD card
-Booted in to TWRP
-Factory Wipe/Restore
-Wiped Cache
-Wiped Dalvik Cache
-Wiped System
-Installed the "update.zip"
-Wiped cache/dalvik again
-Rebooted
-My Kindle Fire booted back into stock 6.2.2 in less the a minute.

adz1966

Jun 26, 2008
Back to Stock

This method worked perfectly for me, first go. Way easy. I was on one of the latest CM9 builds and downloaded the stock files from the Amazon link posted by the OP.

-Booted in to TWRP
-Factory Wipe/Restore
-Wiped Cache
-Wiped Dalvik Cache
-Wiped System
-Rebooted

Followed these instructions and Robert is your father's brother!!
Thanks!

Reactions: kittyworld

Xplorer4x4

Mar 12, 2010
OnePlus 9
its happening to me now too. im stuck at the "KINDLE FIRE" bootscreen, but it hasn't moved yet. how long did yours sit there for until it fully booted?
I would say a good 5 minuets or so.

EDIT: DO NOT USE THIS METHOD, YOU WILL BRICK YOUR KINDLE!
Just because you didn't do it right, doesn't mean everyone else will brick their kindle. I just used this method and it worked perfect. Just waiting for more charge to finish it off with a factory reset.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    just thought I'd post as a quick note;

if you wish to restore to stock from CM7 or just go back to stock with no root or FireFireFire at all, TWRP works for it. quick tutorial:

1. download amazon's stock software: http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html/ref=hp_navbox_kspot_fireupdate?nodeId=200790620

2. rename it to update.zip and place on root of sdcard

3. boot into TWRP and wipe cache, dalvik cache and factory reset

4. flash update.zip, however it will stop the install mid-way and say it can not find the misc volume or something, but fear not

5. boot up and you'll be restored to stock! note FireFireFire and TWRP will have to be re-installed as well as re-root

I had issues at first boot like WiFi not working, but a factory reset changed that. now I'm gonna reinstall FFF and TWRP for some kernel action :D

-Booted in to TWRP
    -Factory Wipe/Restore
    -Wiped Cache
    -Wiped Dalvik Cache
    -Wiped System
    -Rebooted
    Restore to stock from CM7 worked fine.
    :)
    Quick question, does the restore/factory reset wipe the SD Card?

Thanks,
    ~J

nope, just system.