5,596,637 Members 43,254 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[GPS FIX] GPS Fix for all* roms 4/18

Tip us?

mikel.canovas
Old
(Last edited by mikel.canovas; 26th April 2012 at 01:42 AM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 187

DONATE TO ME
Default [GPS FIX] GPS Fix for all* roms 4/18

Who this is for - anyone whose GPS has long lock times, and is inaccurate in navigation.

This SHOULD work with all 2.3+ roms (that includes ICS). If it doesn't work for you or provides consistently poor results, please post and let's see if we can figure out why

What it does - replaces /system/etc/gps.conf with the modified version that has much more servers and various tweaks. Please note some tweaks made sacrifice accuracy for speed.

Results - I'm able to consistently get locks within 5 sec and ~10m with multiple sats. Even indoors, results are similar.
Many (including non captivate users) have reported much improved results as well.

How to use it:
  • Backup your old gps.conf (located in /system/etc) in case you prefer your old configuration. But you can always flash your rom again to get it back as well
  • Download the gps fix (Updated with 8 NTP servers) -- http://dl.dropbox.com/u/17383148/GPS_mod(8NTP).zip to SD Card
  • Reboot into CWM and flash
  • Reboot and enjoy a fast, awesome GPS
  • NOTE - first lock can take much longer that normal. Don't be surprised if it takes over 1 min. Results should improve from there. Should get ~ 10 sec locks, with multiple satellites.

Still not getting the results you want? Try another modem. KG3 is working great for me. This is a great site that has plenty more CM modems you can try out

UPDATE 4/18 : The GPS mod has been edited so that it now has 8 NTP servers. If you feel the old (classic?) configuration was working great for you, it's still up here

Commentary on screenshots: 1 -- Indoors w/ fix and about ~25 sec (cold start). 2 -- outdoors w/ fix and about ~10 sec (cold start). 3 -- outdoors NO fix and about ~15 seconds (cold start). Indoors with no fix could not be completed as I was not able to get a consistent lock with a cold start.

Credits:
  • H3llstorm
  • Xenova

Non-captivate users -- You will have to edit the gps.conf file yourself in order to provide the most accurate results (since I do not know where you live). Xenova's post has some good instructions you can follow.
also read this post.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1334622946432.jpg
Views:	6356
Size:	35.6 KB
ID:	1008234   Click image for larger version

Name:	1334622364868.jpg
Views:	5143
Size:	34.2 KB
ID:	1008235   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2012-04-16-19-28-34.jpg
Views:	4953
Size:	40.2 KB
ID:	1008243  
AT&T HTC One X -- LiquidSmooth
===
Google Nexus 7 - Paranoid Android w/ M-kernel
===
Samsung Captivate [SOLD]
<Free 250 mb for Dropbox>

The Following 79 Users Say Thank You to mikel.canovas For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

DudeWatsThat
Old
(Last edited by DudeWatsThat; 12th February 2012 at 06:45 PM.)
Thanks Meter 26
Finally! I spent all day yesterday looking for solutions to gps issues, will try this immediately and post feedback.

Update:

Gps test:6 sats in view,5 in use,accuracy 40ft
Before:1 sat,1 in use,accuracy 200ft

Rom:Team ICSSGS RC4.2
Modem:UGJL2
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DudeWatsThat For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

TRusselo
Old
(Last edited by TRusselo; 2nd March 2012 at 12:30 AM.)
Retired Forum Moderator / Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 2719

DONATE TO ME
my GPS fix is highly recommended too.

REMOVED- didnt work for cm9

it also replaces files in "vendor/etc/" and files in "vendor/bin" file as well.

Any files in the Vendor folder (in stock roms) are carrier tweaks. AKA Vendor tweaks. and will supercede any files in the system/etc or system/bin folders.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to TRusselo For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

DudeWatsThat
Old
Thanks Meter 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRusselo View Post
my GPS fix is highly recommended too.

EffinGPS.zip
Ill try it as well.
Nexus 5:PA
Kernel:Franco
The Following User Says Thank You to DudeWatsThat For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

adisa
Old
Thanks Meter 5
This is a must-try for me.

ROM: Teamhacksung CM9 build16
'Unbrickable' Samsung captivate
Unbrickable Mod
CM9
Glitch kernel 1.5ghz, LiveOC

Htc Hero
CM7 Nightlies
ClockworkMod recovery
Unlocked SPL http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=589095
2gb ext3.

My dead G1!
T-mobile G1 (white-PVT)
xROM Eclair-v1.0
Haykuro's SPL
Recovery image: RA-dream-v1.5.2
8gb SDHC, ext4

Twitter - @akinrele2

Linwood.Ferguson
Old
Thanks Meter 16
I have a captivate running CM9 (build 16), and decided to give it a try. It has historically been a "fair" GPS captivate, mostly working, never well. CM9 it would not work at all. I walked out of our building with it as flashed from CM9, waited 5 minutes, nothing.

Flashed the one in the OP, walked back outside (about 5 minutes elapsed so not a lot of change in constellation), and did not even get to where I had stood before and it was locked.

One data point does not a trend make, but it was a pleasant surprise.

TRusselo: Had seen yours, but it was much more intrusive in terms of files changed and I had less faith that it was compatible with CM9. Is it?
The Following User Says Thank You to Linwood.Ferguson For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

DudeWatsThat
Old
Thanks Meter 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linwood.Ferguson View Post
I have a captivate running CM9 (build 16), and decided to give it a try. It has historically been a "fair" GPS captivate, mostly working, never well. CM9 it would not work at all. I walked out of our building with it as flashed from CM9, waited 5 minutes, nothing.

Flashed the one in the OP, walked back outside (about 5 minutes elapsed so not a lot of change in constellation), and did not even get to where I had stood before and it was locked.

One data point does not a trend make, but it was a pleasant surprise.

TRusselo: Had seen yours, but it was much more intrusive in terms of files changed and I had less faith that it was compatible with CM9. Is it?
I tried his and I get an error installation aborted.

---------- Post added at 02:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:12 PM ----------

The gps still can't get a fix on me using google maps.
Nexus 5:PA
Kernel:Franco

mikel.canovas
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 187

DONATE TO ME
Linwood - try getting a lock again. As noted, first lock can take significantly longer. Try more tests to see if it improves.
Trusselo - never heard about yours. Can you please give more info about yours and compatibility with roms?

Sent from my SGH-I897 using XDA App
===
===
Samsung Captivate [SOLD]

mikel.canovas
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 187

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by DudeWatsThat View Post
I tried his and I get an error installation aborted.

---------- Post added at 02:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:12 PM ----------

The gps still can't get a fix on me using google maps.
Make sure for your first test you're outdoors with a clear sky view to make sure your first lock is able to complete. Should get better from there

Sent from my SGH-I897 using XDA App
===
===
Samsung Captivate [SOLD]

TRusselo
Old
(Last edited by TRusselo; 14th February 2012 at 05:09 AM.)
Retired Forum Moderator / Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 2719

DONATE TO ME
the effin gps changes 2 copies of each file. (second copy in vendor folder eplained above), no idea about compatibility with CM, dont like it.

huh turns out ICS/CM needs different install-binary.

REMOVED didnt work for cm9

@ mike.canovas - ive already expained more about mine than the OP of the thread did about his. If you want to try it. TRY IT. if you are curious, LOOK INSIDE IT. It worked great for people on gingerbread.

Tags
fix, gingerbead, gps, h3llstorm, ics