Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,786,281 Members 49,900 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

How to Open PWI FIle on Windows XP

Tip us?

6pacman
Old
Thanks Meter 3
Was anyone who used this app above able to redraw "ink" freehand drawings which are written to their .pwi file? http://media.xda-developers.com/images/icons/icon5.gif

M$ sure created a big headache with this pwi crapola.
iMate Jasjar
JWright ROM 1.31.79 WWE
Radio 1.09.00
ExtROM 1.30.176
Blueant Stereo BT H/Phones

6pacman
Old
Thanks Meter 3
Default Open Windows Mobile .pwi files on Windows XP, with INK!

I finally found a complete solution, albeit a somewhat weighty one, to opening .pwi files on my Windows XP PC. Your decision to download the emulator and then install a fair size install, will ultimately depend on how bad you want to see them pesky little drawings you made days/months/years ago.

I downloaded and installed the WM v6.5 emulator SDK from here (225Mb)

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/e...a-ae010e085a6e

Once installed, run the desired emulator from program list (VGA for me).

Then I discovered (after more research) I needed to have a folder on XP that was accessible from the WM6 emulator, within which to place the .pwi file to be viewed.

In the emulator go File > Configure and at the bottom of the General tab "Shared folder", browse for a folder on your XP machine to share. This folder is then accessed via the root directory of the emulated WM6 as folder "Storage Card" in Window Mobile File Explorer.

Viola! I can now open/edit/save .pwi files as if the were on my XP machine.

Thanks for being a massive time vampire M$. Notes suck.

Enjoy. ( -;
iMate Jasjar
JWright ROM 1.31.79 WWE
Radio 1.09.00
ExtROM 1.30.176
Blueant Stereo BT H/Phones
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 6pacman For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Ling1973
Old
(Last edited by Ling1973; 29th March 2011 at 02:49 PM.)
Thanks Meter 1
Smile Solution found to converting .pwi files to word

I'm no computing boff, but I found a simple solution that worked for me using Word 2007.

1) Open Word 2007.
2) Then select File, Open. Make sure "All files" is selected and then select the .pwi file from it's location. Once the file is selected, THEN VERY IMPORTANTLY instead of "All files", select from the drop down menu "Recover Text from any file", and then hit Open.
3) The proceed to clean up the document from any strange or weird characters that might be present. At the end of each line, I was getting a strange character. I highlighted it, and then used the "Find" function in Word to find the same repeating character within the document, and then deleted them in one go.

Please let me know if this helped anyone else. I tried this using Word 2003 and it works also.
The Following User Says Thank You to Ling1973 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

cherrywrc
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6pacman View Post
i finally found a complete solution, albeit a somewhat weighty one, to opening .pwi files on my windows xp pc. Your decision to download the emulator and then install a fair size install, will ultimately depend on how bad you want to see them pesky little drawings you made days/months/years ago.

I downloaded and installed the wm v6.5 emulator sdk from here (225mb)

once installed, run the desired emulator from program list (vga for me).

Then i discovered (after more research) i needed to have a folder on xp that was accessible from the wm6 emulator, within which to place the .pwi file to be viewed.

In the emulator go file > configure and at the bottom of the general tab "shared folder", browse for a folder on your xp machine to share. This folder is then accessed via the root directory of the emulated wm6 as folder "storage card" in window mobile file explorer.

Viola! I can now open/edit/save .pwi files as if the were on my xp machine.

Thanks for being a massive time vampire m$. Notes suck.

Enjoy. ( -;
works great! Finally working solution! Thank you!!!!!!!!

openfile
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Visit the FileExtensions.net homepage for access to an entire File Extensions Library. I have encountered the same problem and this site helps me out!

Z80-Man
Old
(Last edited by Z80-Man; 13th February 2012 at 03:51 AM.)
Thanks Meter 122
Lastest FileFormatConverters extension from Microsoft works OK with MS Office XP it will open .pwi files directly into MS Word (though the sketches are a bit messed up ! ).

MS Office 2010 is supposed to open .pwi files (but I didn't try : I don't own a licence, and hate the new top bar setup anyway).
HTC HD/HD2 with 64 GB SD XC - Energy WM6.5.3 build 29022 French / Sense 2.5 build 2019 / CHT 2.0 - GTX clock - Radio ROM 1.17.25.09/2.12.50.02_2
How-to : FingerKeyboard management and XT9 patch
Wiki : Energy ROMs Wiki
Energy ROMs add-ons & fixes CABs : General mods and fixes *** HD FRA fixes *** HD2 FRA fixes
Non flipping digital clocks for Sense/CHT 1.7/1.8/2.0 : CHT2.0 version ready !

noe lv
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Default Just install ActiveSync 4.5

Maybe this is simpler

Just install ActiveSync 4.5

Then Word (office 2003 or 2007) would open the pwi files