Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,730,983 Members 45,786 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

802.1x wifi problem | galaxy gio

Tip us?

runedegroot
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 72
Default 802.1x wifi problem | galaxy gio

Hey,
I want to connect to a 802.1x security wifi network on my school, it does connect.
It sais I am connected but I can't browse the web and all my apps dont refresh either.
Is there anyway I can fix this? Maybe with some setting or change in root?

masbayu
Old
Thanks Meter 6
work fine on mine

runedegroot
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 72
I'll install cm9 as soon as I can, and see if it fixes my probs. Otherwise it could be a chipset problem, that it just doesnt support. Some other people on my school also cant connect (budget phones).

runedegroot
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 72
I think its weird that some devices can connect and others not, on my school, some galaxy s or galaxy ace will connect while others can't. I have cyanogenmod 7.2 with android 2.3.7! I think it should work but someway it keeps connected, so I am connected to the router, but I can't browse the net. Maybe it cant open default gateway in someway?

pawelek110
Old
Thanks Meter 6
maybe that router is not compatible .. i have the same problem in some places..

runedegroot
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 72
I think it's weird some devices connect and other do not, maybe it has to due with diffrence in android versions? I use cyanogenmod 7.2, android gingerbread 2.3.7

atirox
Old
Thanks Meter 3
Oi, there is so much that could be going on here...

Its an Atheros AR6003G chip, which as far as i know, supports 802.11 A/B/G/N, and hardware encryption for WEP/WPA...

Odds are, if its an 802.1x type network, the chip will do the encrypting/decrypting after the handshake is completed, provided its set up correctly. WEP and WPA are set up by using a Pre-shared Key that all users need to have... If you study how to recover the key, you'll find that the hash is created by taking the plaintext passkey, running it through the specified algorithm, then salting it with the name of the network. So long as all devices have the correct network name and the correct plaintext password, any device can connect to the network, because they'll all end up with the same hash.

802.1x encryption is different. It uses an authentication server. This makes it similar to any modern computer you log onto. You provide the computer with your credentials, and it checks it against the server. If they match, then you are allowed access. If they don't you get an error message. Which means, that if anything is broken, it won't work. If you don't use the correct authentication protocol, it won't work. If you don't have the right certificates, it won't work.

Best advice I can give is, double check everything. Make sure your Gio has the correct certificates and that its using the correct protocols. Double check your IP/Subnet Mask/Gateway addresses. If you don't have an IP address, you'll have to manually configure it. If the Subnet Mask is incorrect or the Gateway address is incorrect, it won't work either. Also, check your DNS server addresses. If those aren't correct it won't load any webpages using URLs. It will only load them using the IP address of the server. Which means, telling the browser to go to www.google.com won't work, but if you tell it to go to 173.194.67.99:80, it will load the Google homepage.

Hopefully this will give you somewhere to start...
The Following User Says Thank You to atirox For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

runedegroot
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 72
Yes true, only problem is that static IP's dont work, otherwise I could just copy the DNS and gateway numbers from a device it does work on. It uses DHCP and I think that I have the problem you told about.I dont think our school uses certificates cause a friend of my (Galaxy S) can connect without having installed certificates or something.

I think its an hardware isue and it cant decrypt the code well, my WIFI indicator stays white, with internet acces it should turn blue or green.

voetbalremco
Old
Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 1768

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by runedegroot View Post
Yes true, only problem is that static IP's dont work, otherwise I could just copy the DNS and gateway numbers from a device it does work on. It uses DHCP and I think that I have the problem you told about.I dont think our school uses certificates cause a friend of my (Galaxy S) can connect without having installed certificates or something.

I think its an hardware isue and it cant decrypt the code well, my WIFI indicator stays white, with internet acces it should turn blue or green.
What if you go to wifi settings- menu button - advanced settings- 'regulier domein' I know you are dutch, dont know how it is called in english, something like regular domain I guess.
Then set it to 11 13 or 14 try them out, fixes my wifi, also at school with 8.11x connection mode

Sent from my GT-S5660 using xda premium
Devices:
iPad 3rd gen. 16GB Wifi
iOcean X7 Youth
Samsung Galaxy Gio

buy me a beer if you like my work

atirox
Old
Thanks Meter 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by runedegroot View Post

That is very very odd... I use a Linksys WRT54G2 router at home, and its set up for DHCP. Its address is the standard 192.168.1.1, and it can address 50 clients between the addresses of 192.168.1.100 and 192.168.1.149. However, if i set my computer up to use static settings, it works just fine... Granted the networks are probably set up differently.... but the theory should work just fine...

Code:
IP: 192.168.1.4
Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
Gateway 192.168.1.1
DNS: 64.59.160.13, 64.59.160.15
Are you positive it doesn't work?

If you can get me the encryption type, IP address, Subnet Mask and Gateway address your friends phone uses, I may be able to help more... The more information you can get me, the better.

The only reason I can think of that would cause it to not work is that the IP address is already in use, or the Subnet mask is incorrect... It shouldn't matter what IP address you use, so long as the subnet mask and gateway are correct... In theory anyway...