[LIST] Devices that CAN, CAN'T or HAVE WiFi hotspot support

Search This thread

vnvman

Oct 31, 2009
Alba
The Samsung Omnia W/Focus Flash has it, but i didn't get it out of the box on my unlocked unit, i had to hack around a little in order to enable it ;)

relietz

Dec 1, 2011
LG C900 series IS capable of Internet Sharing

An update:

The LG-C900/B/K Series (LG Optimus Quantum) is physically capable of Internet Sharing. The C900K did receive a firmware update that turned it on. By installing the firmware for the C900K on my C900B (SaskTel), I now have Internet Sharing working WELL on my phone. In fact, it works flawlessly. No idea, though, if LG is planning on officially releasing firmware that enables Internet Sharing on any of the other Optimus Quantums, they are still claiming that it is a hardware issue not a software defficiency. So, we need to bug them and call them on it until they give in and fix it! Also, contact your providers, please, and bug them to push LG, too. Obviously Telstra in Australia must have bugged LG enough to get them to move on it or they wouldn't have it yet, either. We need enough people speaking out before they will seriously listen!

In the mean time, if anyone else would like to put the LG-C900K firmware on their Optimus Quantum phone, the instructions can be found in my response to a Microsoft Answers question:

answers.microsoft.com/en-us/winphone/forum/wp7-wppics/internet-sharing-on-lg-c900b/ac81a316-f3d0-4105-bf77-df7b4b477d35
(seven comments down)

In order for mms (multimedia messaging system) features to work, and perhaps some other carrier features, you will also need to follow these instructions after you're all done with the others:

answers.microsoft.com/en-us/winphone/forum/wp7-wppeople/problem-with-sendingreveicing-mmsmultimedia/7834506f-c60d-4eb6-b04a-9829131922ee?page=18&tm=1327626182238
(page 18 if it doesn't take you there automatically, seven comments down)

Please be aware that this IS risky (although there if only a little risk). Read instructions through and make sure that you understand them before starting. Everything is done at your own risk, and none of this is endorsed officially by Microsoft, LG, or ISPs. So... enjoy your Internet Sharing!!

dragonide

Jul 9, 2010
Rome
An update:

The LG-C900/B/K Series (LG Optimus Quantum) is physically capable of Internet Sharing. The C900K did receive a firmware update that turned it on. By installing the firmware for the C900K on my C900B (SaskTel), I now have Internet Sharing working WELL on my phone. In fact, it works flawlessly. No idea, though, if LG is planning on officially releasing firmware that enables Internet Sharing on any of the other Optimus Quantums, they are still claiming that it is a hardware issue not a software defficiency. So, we need to bug them and call them on it until they give in and fix it! Also, contact your providers, please, and bug them to push LG, too. Obviously Telstra in Australia must have bugged LG enough to get them to move on it or they wouldn't have it yet, either. We need enough people speaking out before they will seriously listen!

In the mean time, if anyone else would like to put the LG-C900K firmware on their Optimus Quantum phone, the instructions can be found in my response to a Microsoft Answers question:

answers.microsoft.com/en-us/winphone/forum/wp7-wppics/internet-sharing-on-lg-c900b/ac81a316-f3d0-4105-bf77-df7b4b477d35
(seven comments down)

In order for mms (multimedia messaging system) features to work, and perhaps some other carrier features, you will also need to follow these instructions after you're all done with the others:

answers.microsoft.com/en-us/winphone/forum/wp7-wppeople/problem-with-sendingreveicing-mmsmultimedia/7834506f-c60d-4eb6-b04a-9829131922ee?page=18&tm=1327626182238

Please be aware that this IS risky (although there if only a little risk). Read instructions through and make sure that you understand them before starting. Everything is done at your own risk, and none of this is endorsed officially by Microsoft, LG, or ISPs. So... enjoy your Internet Sharing!!

What about the E900 ?

relietz

Dec 1, 2011
An update:

(seven comments down)

Wanted to update everyone on some feedback I got from LG that looks like it actually *may* be more accurate. Unfortunately, it means that we will probably not see an update with Internet Sharing anywhere in North America, and for those of us using the Australia Telstra firmware it may be less healthy/safe. They said:

"Thank you for your comments. Delay was a result of looking into this internally, but we have an answer for you! The reason it wasn't made available as a feature in the software update for the LGC900B phone was due to test resu...lts regarding the Specific Absorption Rate (SAR). The SAR is a North American requirement specified from the Federal Communications Commission and Industry Canada, which would explain why flashing your phone with Australian software (C900K) made it possible for internet sharing. Please note we do not support flashing software meant for other phones. Please let us know if you have any further questions regarding this. Thank you."

(Original Facebook conversation: facebook.com/#!/LGCanada/posts/10150725301499377)

Reactions: bobzero

Kristen9854

Feb 8, 2012
very thanks for your job!!
zhao3.jpg
zhao2.jpg
zhao4.jpg

Last edited:

bobzero

Oct 4, 2008
Wanted to update everyone on some feedback I got from LG that looks like it actually *may* be more accurate. Unfortunately, it means that we will probably not see an update with Internet Sharing anywhere in North America, and for those of us using the Australia Telstra firmware it may be less healthy/safe. They said:

"Thank you for your comments. Delay was a result of looking into this internally, but we have an answer for you! The reason it wasn't made available as a feature in the software update for the LGC900B phone was due to test resu...lts regarding the Specific Absorption Rate (SAR). The SAR is a North American requirement specified from the Federal Communications Commission and Industry Canada, which would explain why flashing your phone with Australian software (C900K) made it possible for internet sharing. Please note we do not support flashing software meant for other phones. Please let us know if you have any further questions regarding this. Thank you."

(Original Facebook conversation: facebook.com/#!/LGCanada/posts/10150725301499377)

Nice job in getting any info from LG when I tried they blew me off with the hardware being limited, ect.

Still I wonder if the CRTC follows the SAR regulations that the FCC puts out. I think LG might be giving another excuse.

droodls

Dec 28, 2011
Saskatoon
Nice job in getting any info from LG when I tried they blew me off with the hardware being limited, ect.

Still I wonder if the CRTC follows the SAR regulations that the FCC puts out. I think LG might be giving another excuse.

Agreed. They pretty much told me to get lost too. I wouldn't be surprised if it is just another excuse.

Come April I am going to need proper tethering seeing as it is my only decent method of getting high speed internet since I'm moving out to a rural location. If there's no update by then I guess I say goodbye to LG forever.

I'll get myself a different WP7.

killerb255

Oct 24, 2007
Agreed. They pretty much told me to get lost too. I wouldn't be surprised if it is just another excuse.

Come April I am going to need proper tethering seeing as it is my only decent method of getting high speed internet since I'm moving out to a rural location. If there's no update by then I guess I say goodbye to LG forever.

I'll get myself a different WP7.

Follow relietz's instructions. They do work.

I flashed the Australian ROM to my AT&T-branded LG Quantum. After changing a few things in the registry, WiFi tethering works flawlessly!

USB tethering has always worked through the MFG menu by switching USB modes.

droodls

Dec 28, 2011
Saskatoon
Follow relietz's instructions. They do work.

I flashed the Australian ROM to my AT&T-branded LG Quantum. After changing a few things in the registry, WiFi tethering works flawlessly!

USB tethering has always worked through the MFG menu by switching USB modes.

Yeah I was considering it but I think I'd rather give some money to a company who will support my phone. Not have me do a work around. If LG doesn't come around, I don't feel like supporting them on the mobile front.

Also, I tether through USB all the time but find it to gives me a lot of connection reset errors in the browser. So I'd rather have real supported tethering I think.

For now I think I'll just be optimistic and wait for LG to come out with an update.

relietz

Dec 1, 2011

I tend to agree with you. Without WiFi hotspot enabled, the Optimus Quantum has an extremely low SAR rating (.86 or lower, I believe). Other WP7 devices had higher initial ratings and were still able to enable this feature under the same standards and regulations. Now, it is possible that the C900B has hardware just different enough to make it impossible, but I'm sure there must be a way for them to throttle the output from within the firmware... At any rate, even though they outright told me that there is no chance of getting it (on the C900B firmware, that is) officially, I haven't completely given up; companies often say they can't/won't to cover their behinds. Still, I plan to upgrade when my contract allows me. SaskTel's new WP7 device is SMOOOOTH... I will miss the physical keyboard, though...

bobzero

Oct 4, 2008
I tend to agree with you. Without WiFi hotspot enabled, the Optimus Quantum has an extremely low SAR rating (.86 or lower, I believe). Other WP7 devices had higher initial ratings and were still able to enable this feature under the same standards and regulations. Now, it is possible that the C900B has hardware just different enough to make it impossible, but I'm sure there must be a way for them to throttle the output from within the firmware... At any rate, even though they outright told me that there is no chance of getting it (on the C900B firmware, that is) officially, I haven't completely given up; companies often say they can't/won't to cover their behinds. Still, I plan to upgrade when my contract allows me. SaskTel's new WP7 device is SMOOOOTH... I will miss the physical keyboard, though...

Just flash the telstra ROM, been using it on my bell c900b without issue for the last 5 months.

relietz

Dec 1, 2011
Just flash the telstra ROM, been using it on my bell c900b without issue for the last 5 months.

Yep, same here. Although I only just got the most recent update, so I was struggling with the disappearing keyboard problem; it was getting annoying! I had that update on my C900B before I flashed the C900K. That was some time ago! But I have the latest update on here too, now.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi,
    as we (or some of us) know, Internet Sharing in Mango requires the WiFi chipset to be able to work in AP mode.

I found that OEMs were using two chipsets: Broadcom 4325 (a/b/g, BT, FM) and 4329 (a/b/g/n, BT, FM).

The difference is not just in the missing N in 4325, but also lack of AP mode.

I will be checking today all (most) of the devices that I will get my hands on their ROMs to see, what chipset they have and make list of them here.

BRCM 4329 equipped phones that HAVE wifi hotspot working
    - Sammy Omnia 7 - info
    - Sammy Focus - info
    - HTC Mozart - in 5.01 ROM! Use the same method for unlocking as ^
    - HTC Titan -- aka all new Mango launched phones
    - HTC Radar (Omega?) -- aka all new Mango launched phones

BRCM 4329 equipped phones and are WAITING (aka support AP mode):
    - HTC HD7
    - HTC 7 Pro
    - HTC Surround
    - HTC Trophy
    - LG E900 (missing SoftAP in drivers)

BRCM 4325 equipped phones (aka unable to support AP mode):

UPDATE: Unknown phones, under investigation!!
    - Dell Venue Pro

I might be wrong somewhere though!

Thanks to Snake. for few more devices!
    BRCM 4329 equipped phones

HTC 7 Mozart
    HTC 7 Surround
    HTC 7 Trophy
    Samsung Focus

BRCM 4325 equipped phones
    Dell Venue Pro

Have not found any info on the LGs. Sorry

PS: 802.11 a/b/g/n neexistuje, iba b/g/n
    An update:

(seven comments down)