Sensation advice from a SGS2 owner

Search This thread

THUDUK

Aug 12, 2007
eastbourne
Google Pixel 4a
Am thinking about swapping (well in fact have the opportunity to) my SGS2 for an HTC sensation

I have a few questions if you don't mind...

1) Is the Beats version more powerful than the standard Sensation
2) I read that dust gets under the screen is this common
3) How does the screen compare to the SGS2, will I notice the higher DPI
4) Is the sounds quality better than the SGS2
5) the SGS2 has 16GB built in, how does the Sensation manage with just its 1GB.

Sorry if I am asking all the same questions as done before

Reason I which to come back to an HTC is I used to own HD, HD2 and others with sense and I miss it

I also like the idea of the Higher pixels with the sensation

k0zmic

Jul 16, 2010
London
1.) Not really, they have the same processor, the XE has it clocked to it's full capacity by default while the non-XE doesn't.
2.) Can't comment on that yet but so far it seems okay.
3.) It'll be sharper but the colours are less vibrant and blacks will be less black
4.) Can't comment since I haven't heard a GS2 but the sound quality with headphones is fine.
5.) It manages well, the 1GB is for Market apps. User data goes on an SD Card so unless you have a huge movie or audio collection and don't have a million apps it's more than adequate IMO.

beston94

Apr 24, 2010
Stockholm
1. Its the same due to the processor
2. Hasn't happened to me yet
3. I had a samsung galaxy s2 and switched. You will notice the higher DPI, but the screen is less black as in the blacks will have a sort of greyish tint on them.
4. I must say that the sound quality of the samsung galaxy s2 with the speaker is better but with the headphones, htc all the way :] The beats are a really good feature.
5. You can manage easily.

PS: I also miss my htc hd2 :D The king of all phones IMO!

Xzeven

Am thinking about swapping (well in fact have the opportunity to) my SGS2 for an HTC sensation

Reason I which to come back to an HTC is I used to own HD, HD2 and others with sense and I miss it

I've been lucky enough to play with both phones for the last few weeks so I can give you my side by side comparison

1: I've not had the Non-XE version, but from 3 colleagues who do have it, it seem more buggy than the XE. So for me, I'd fo go for the XE version (it was only €15 difference when I bought it), plus the headphones are amazing for Bass (I normally wouldn't care about sound..but still...wow)

2: Yes, everyone I know at work has this problem, myself included. Though in my case (sensation XE) I only have a tiny single spec of dust, barely noticable, but there none the less.

3: The SGS2 screen is Super AMOLED, and I gotta say Samsung wins on this occasion. I was blown away by the quality. That said though after using it for a few weeks you do notice the lower resolution on the Samsung, especially on 1080 movies/TV.

4: The XE wins this match, the sound from the phone itself and from any headphones you use even the included Beat sound by far better on the XE. If you watch any HD TV and films on the phone you'll notice that the XE does a better job of hardware sound decoding, less likely to ever lag. Particularly noticeable on flash and youtube.

5: This has never been a problem for me, I use both phones A - LOT, and have never had an issue. There was one time where Sense reset it self on the Stock rom, but since "Romming" the phone, I've had no problems.

A few other things to point out.

The weight. While the phones are only a few grams different, the Sensation does feel much heavier. This is because HTC love to use metal, which has a benifit. It feels far more sturdier than the SGS2.

Thickness. Again attributed to the metalic casing of the XE, but only about 2 mm, barely noticable you'd think, but it is very obvious side-by-side.

GSM/3G radio No noticable difference while using on 3 and Meteor in Ireland. However in Netherlands very noticable difference, Vodafone on both phones. The XE was only very slightly weaker in 1 location than the Samsung.

WiFi My Friends with the Plain Sensation have had issues with their phones but on my XE version, I've actually achieved better and faster speeds on both a G and N network.

What others say OK OK, owning a gorgeous phone is one thing, but we all deep down like to show off now and then :) In my experience the few people whom I allowed to even hold my phones remarked that the XE felt sturdier, where as the Samsung felt "plastic-y" More people liked the XE's styling, (though personally I prefer the simple and elegant SGS2).

Camera I really couldn't care about this, no-one, in Europe at least, uses Video calling (that's soooo 2003 :D) and for photos I prefer a proper camera, with proper lenses...who really uses a phone for real "photography"??

Overall I like both phones, but if HTC could load up an XE with an AMOLED screen, It'd be my one and only phone :)

Last edited:

dgenx210

Jan 10, 2011
Manila

1) Nope. The original Sensation has the same SoC as the XE and the original Sensation is underclocked.
2) Thankfully this hasn't happened to me.
3 and 4) I can't testify for either of these since I've only got hold of an S2 for like a few minutes :p
5) I have about 50 user apps tops and I store all of them in the internal memory and I still have around 650MB+ free. I put everything else in my microSD card.