[Q] How to root Huawei U8860(Honor) with Android 4.0

Search This thread

tekplyrx

Nov 6, 2010
No your getting confused.

if your doing a straight upgrade to 4.0 you need to copy the update.app you downloaded to a folder on your sdcard. name the folder dload. Then you can Settings->storage->software upgrade.

The update.zip method is for use in recovery-v8 mode. for things like installing gapps or a rooting fix.

Oh, and the language is somewhat irrelevant. The first thing it will ask you when you boot to 4.0 is what language you want to use. English, Eskimo etc.

:cool:

---------- Post added at 02:02 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:58 AM ----------

I installed an app called "notification toggle" free from the app store. Works for me.

Thanks for the clarification :)

the258

Dec 12, 2011
McAllen TX
Tried the 4.0 upgrade for the Honor and the Mercury, it is not compatible. Wont pass the 2/2 part of the upgrade. Just thought id put my .02 for any Mercury users browsing through.

tekplyrx

Nov 6, 2010
I just flashed mine to ics with no issues except no android market and google apps. installed the recovery, root and gapps and everything works perfectly (so far).. google apps link i found here is outdated though google gapps-ics-20111128.zip for the updated one.

Edit.. spoke too son, i can't install any apps, i get the error message "App name" could not be downloaded due to an error. installed the gapps package from the first link gapps-ics-20111125-2.zip and now in market its says downloading but nothing is being downloaded, the progress bar just keeps going on and on.. any ideas?

Last edited:

tekplyrx

Nov 6, 2010
So I gave up on Gingerbread. I am now running ICS with Gapps.

I did it by the following steps.

1.) install the ICS demo provided by huawei
2.) Replace the recovery.img with the v8 one via the pink screen method mentioned in my previous post.
3.) download the gapps ics .zip to your sdcard and rename it to update.zip in the root of sdcard.
4.) Boot to recovery menu by holding power button and volume up button, then slect update zip, then chose the update.zip. once completed reboot.
5.) when you boot into ics login to google talk with your account first via 3g data not wifi data. then gmail.
6.) now market should work!

Also you can root ICS easy with any rooting tools. I used RootThat-v1.0.0

PS I emailed/pm'd the gingerbread rom to all who requested it. I found it unstable though.

how did u get rootthat to work? i am on the huawei 4.0.3 ics build and when i run RootThat and click root devices i get the following errors

adbd cannot run as root in production builds
List of devices attached
XXXXXXXXXXXX device

remount failed: Operation not permitted
failed to copy 'C:\Users\ZZZZ\Desktop\Honor\RootThat\su' to '/system/xbin/su': Read-only file system
Unable to chmod /system/xbin/su: Read-only file system

failed to copy 'C:\Users\ZZZZ\Desktop\Honor\RootThat\Superuser.apk' to '/system/app/Superuser.apk': Read-only file system
Unable to chmod /system/app/Superuser.apk: Read-only file system
::Success!!::

any other way of rooting? i even tried the downloading su-3.0.3.2-signed.zip and flashing thru recovery but no success (even though it worked when the phone was on gingerbread)

n3mz1z

Apr 1, 2011
Motueka
how did u get rootthat to work? i am on the huawei 4.0.3 ics build and when i run RootThat and click root devices i get the following errors

List of devices attached
XXXXXXXXXXXX device

remount failed: Operation not permitted
failed to copy 'C:\Users\ZZZZ\Desktop\Honor\RootThat\su' to '/system/xbin/su': Read-only file system
Unable to chmod /system/xbin/su: Read-only file system

failed to copy 'C:\Users\ZZZZ\Desktop\Honor\RootThat\Superuser.apk' to '/system/app/Superuser.apk': Read-only file system
Unable to chmod /system/app/Superuser.apk: Read-only file system
::Success!!::

any other way of rooting? i even tried the downloading su-3.0.3.2-signed.zip and flashing thru recovery but no success (even though it worked when the phone was on gingerbread)

Rootthat worked on the demo version of ICS. it will not work on this official release 4.0.3.
su-3.0.3.2-signed.zip works really well. What happens when you try it via the recovery-v8 method any errors? did you rename it to update.zip and place it in the root of the sd card?

---------- Post added at 10:46 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:41 AM ----------

I just flashed mine to ics with no issues except no android market and google apps. installed the recovery, root and gapps and everything works perfectly (so far).. google apps link i found here is outdated though google gapps-ics-20111128.zip for the updated one.

Edit.. spoke too son, i can't install any apps, i get the error message "App name" could not be downloaded due to an error. installed the gapps package from the first link gapps-ics-20111125-2.zip and now in market its says downloading but nothing is being downloaded, the progress bar just keeps going on and on.. any ideas?

with the market issue, Turn off wifi and try loading up the market via 3g only. Just for the first time. I think it has something to do with the device serial number.
if you have no luck clear the app data in Settings>Apps>all>market and try again.

Also it might pay to install http://goo-inside.me/gapps/gapps-ics-20120207-signed.zip as its more recent. I have not tried it yet but about to. ( I have calender issues )

Good luck!

tabletmagduru

Jan 11, 2012
How to Huawei honor root 2.3.6

how to root Honor 2.3.6 Rom ? or is there someone that is installed on the phone to send a rom?

tekplyrx

Nov 6, 2010
Rootthat worked on the demo version of ICS. it will not work on this official release 4.0.3.
su-3.0.3.2-signed.zip works really well. What happens when you try it via the recovery-v8 method any errors? did you rename it to update.zip and place it in the root of the sd card?

---------- Post added at 10:46 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:41 AM ----------

with the market issue, Turn off wifi and try loading up the market via 3g only. Just for the first time. I think it has something to do with the device serial number.
if you have no luck clear the app data in Settings>Apps>all>market and try again.

Also it might pay to install http://goo-inside.me/gapps/gapps-ics-20120207-signed.zip as its more recent. I have not tried it yet but about to. ( I have calender issues )

Good luck!

Yeah what i didn't know was that the su-3.0.3.2-signed.zip actually rooted the phone but because i couldn't run some adb commands (logcat especially since i develop) i kept on thinking it wasn't. Eventually i realised i had to enter the engineering menu and turn on the logging and that resolved it.

For the market issue i installed the 4.0.3 version and it works.. all in all though i feel this is not the "final" rom that huawei is gonna release, some parts of the rom that one would expect them to have customized (e.g. contacts) were left as stock, no video player. Also, the rom's chinese, i had to navigate through the settings menu to change to english.

Does anyone know how to change the homescreen transition animations in the ics rom? I know it could be changed in the 2.3.6 rom but i can't seem to find the option in this rom

***DiMaC***

Mar 23, 2011
Hey guys, need your help.

For testing i've installed de ICS 4.0.3 from de chinese Huawei website (dated 2012-02-08).
But there's a strange thing!

Everything works fine, only there are no google-based apps.
When i go the the internet browser and enter "android market" in the google searchbox i get de market website.
After selecting it prompt "open with" and i can choose "market" and it will open android market, after logging in with my gmail-account i have a working market.

Now the weird thing, when i close the market its nowhere visible to select in de apps and i can't find it anuwhere else.
All the other gapps are also still not there, but i can receive my gmail an the phone automatically updated maps.

I also did al the steps as described here (recovery-v8.img etc etc.) but still the same, no gapps.

Any idea???

(sorry for bad English)

Edit: there's also a new kernel on chinese Huawei website kernel-3.0.8-U8860 date 2012-02-13

Last edited:

nsasseon

Dec 2, 2010
Help

Can someone write me here all the steps to Root the Huawei Honor with ICS?
with links and exactly steps
I didn't understand what you wrote here before.
thanks!

usman.muhammad

Feb 17, 2012
want your help guys...

i got the u8860 but it does not have google, like gmail, gtalk, market, twiter,facebook etc.

when i started the phone some "Wo" type logo appear at first screen when booting... and "Wo" type logo is also present at the backside of the phone casing. and it has lots of CHINESE app installed(which don't have uninstall option enabled).

i have tried the pink screen method and then on the phone by holding volume UP and power button and then i have selected update.zip, ICS.zip(downloaded from huawei site), but every time he aborted the installation.

i want to root it and install the ICS.
kindly tell me how to root it and instal the other good rom n from where to download the rom. as i want all gapps in this phone like gtalk, gmail, market etc.

hope u understand my situation.
thanks.

usman.muhammad

Feb 17, 2012
want your help guys...

i got the u8860 but it does not have google, like gmail, gtalk, market, twiter,facebook etc.

when i started the phone some "Wo" type logo appear at first screen when booting... and "Wo" type logo is also present at the backside of the phone casing. and it has lots of CHINESE app installed(which don't have uninstall option enabled).

i have tried the pink screen method and then on the phone by holding volume UP and power button and then i have selected update.zip, ICS.zip(downloaded from huawei site), but every time he aborted the installation.

i want to root it and install the ICS.
kindly tell me how to root it and instal the other good rom n from where to download the rom. as i want all gapps in this phone like gtalk, gmail, market etc.

hope u understand my situation.
thanks.

problem solved... as i just copy the extracted files to the folder DLOAD in the root of sdcard... then go to setting->storage->software upgrade->sdcard upgrage->confirm.... and problem solved... now im using the english version with all the gapps.... happy now. :)

arnt2

May 8, 2008
Oslo
To enable google apps on ICS 4.0.3

Upgrade to ICS 4.0.3

Download ICS 4.0.3 upgrade from huaweidevice.com/cn/downloadCenter.do?method=toDownloadFile&flay=software&softid=NDExNTI=

Make a “dload” directory on SD card root directory

Copy the "UPDATE.APP” and "UPDATE_CUST.APP" to "dload" folder on SD card.

Long press volume up + volume down + power button on the handset to startup you device in upgrade mode.

It will reboot few times.

Delete "dload" forlder on sdcard

Root access

Download recovery image at mediafire.com/?2e8prgk99e3n0f7

Download su-3.0.3.2-signed.zip at mediafire.com/?burku15l62eb4te

copy su-3.0.3.2-signed.zip to the root of sdcard

Delete "dload" folder on sdcard

Open settings / application then turn off/unthick "fast boot"

Unplug any usb connection and turn the phone completely off

Holding both the volume up + volume down + power button to startup you device. Let go when you see a pink/purple screen.

Attach the usb cable to your computer and wait until a few usb mass storage devices are detected and mounted.

Look for one that has just one directory called "image" in it. Navigate into this directory and you'll see "recovery.img" etc.

Rename "recovery.img" to "recovery.org"

copy "recovery-v8.img" to image folder and rename to "recovery.img", unmount the mass storage device (safely remove in windows) and then pull the battery out to turn the phone off

Long press volume up + power button on the handset to startup you device in recovery mode

Select “Install zip from sdcard”
Select “choose zip from SD card”
Find and select "su-3.0.3.2-signed.zip"
Select "++Go Back++"
Select "reboot system now"

Add google apps to ICS 4.0.3

Download gapps-ics-20120215-signed.zip at goo-inside.me/gapps/gapps-ics-20120215-signed.zip and copy to sdcard

Long press volume up + power button on the handset to startup you device in recovery mode

Find and select "gapps-ics-20120215-signed.zip"
Select "++Go Back++"

On dial pad type ( *147258369# ) select "Display GMS apps" and "Ok"
Reboot phone

All done :)

Arnt

Last edited:

rhonl

Feb 19, 2012
I have the same problem as Dimac, I updated my unrooted Huawei Honor gingerbread to the 4.0.3 official ICS build, but have all the apps missing/hidden. It says Google Market, Google maps are all already installed but I can't find them listed in the Apps option. How do i get the missing apps restored? Because my phone is unrooted, I am unable to boot into recovery mode to install the Gapps package.

I don't consider myself a computer noob (have a diploma in IT), yet all this android debugging is making me really confused. Can anyone shed some light please?

Thank you so much

tekplyrx

Nov 6, 2010
I have the same problem as Dimac, I updated my unrooted Huawei Honor gingerbread to the 4.0.3 official ICS build, but have all the apps missing/hidden. It says Google Market, Google maps are all already installed but I can't find them listed in the Apps option. How do i get the missing apps restored? Because my phone is unrooted, I am unable to boot into recovery mode to install the Gapps package.

I don't consider myself a computer noob (have a diploma in IT), yet all this android debugging is making me really confused. Can anyone shed some light please?

Thank you so much

Have you tried the last steps outlined by arnt2?

Reboot phone

Try and see whether it works. If it doesn't, root the device and try again.

---------- Post added at 07:44 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:40 AM ----------

I just realised today that there's an update (Settings->About Phone->Online Upgrade-Firmware Upgrade. It reports a new version U8860_normal_B972SP02 release date 2012-02-04 Update package size 34.87mb but nothing under update details. Will try the update when i get home as there's no wifi where i am right now and the 3g is xpensive. Has anyone tried it yet?

Reactions: rhonl

n3mz1z

Apr 1, 2011
Motueka
I just realised today that there's an update (Settings->About Phone->Online Upgrade-Firmware Upgrade. It reports a new version U8860_normal_B972SP02 release date 2012-02-04 Update package size 34.87mb but nothing under update details. Will try the update when i get home as there's no wifi where i am right now and the 3g is xpensive. Has anyone tried it yet?

Yes, about two weeks ago. At the time I had no idea about the gapps unhide trick I thought it was blocking the gapps all togeather. it was the first time I had installed gapps and not seen a single gapp icon in the apps list afterward.

If you have rooted your phone the update will not work. :mad:

You can root it in the usual way after the upgrade though. but not before. must be clean install before.

Now though I would be keen to try as I am about to wipe my phone and move to the WCDMA network here in nz. Glad that this phone supports both!

biglazy

Feb 24, 2012
Thanks a lot, arnt2 's post at #53 helps me solved the problems about root and gapp .

shehraz1983

Feb 26, 2012
huawei honor with ICS 4.0.3 - Gtalk wont install/cant find on market (phone is rooted

Hi,

I've got a huawei honor with ICS 4.0.3 - Gtalk wont install/cant find on market (phone is rooted using your method (post #53)).

Gtalk just wont install using the latest gapps files. Also, wont show up on the market.

How to get it working???? Please help!!!...

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    To enable google apps on ICS 4.0.3

Upgrade to ICS 4.0.3

Download ICS 4.0.3 upgrade from huaweidevice.com/cn/downloadCenter.do?method=toDownloadFile&flay=software&softid=NDExNTI=

Make a “dload” directory on SD card root directory

Copy the "UPDATE.APP” and "UPDATE_CUST.APP" to "dload" folder on SD card.

Long press volume up + volume down + power button on the handset to startup you device in upgrade mode.

It will reboot few times.

Delete "dload" forlder on sdcard

Root access

Download recovery image at mediafire.com/?2e8prgk99e3n0f7

Download su-3.0.3.2-signed.zip at mediafire.com/?burku15l62eb4te

copy su-3.0.3.2-signed.zip to the root of sdcard

Delete "dload" folder on sdcard

Open settings / application then turn off/unthick "fast boot"

Holding both the volume up + volume down + power button to startup you device. Let go when you see a pink/purple screen.

Attach the usb cable to your computer and wait until a few usb mass storage devices are detected and mounted.

Look for one that has just one directory called "image" in it. Navigate into this directory and you'll see "recovery.img" etc.

Rename "recovery.img" to "recovery.org"

copy "recovery-v8.img" to image folder and rename to "recovery.img", unmount the mass storage device (safely remove in windows) and then pull the battery out to turn the phone off

Find and select "su-3.0.3.2-signed.zip"
    Select "++Go Back++"

Add google apps to ICS 4.0.3

Download gapps-ics-20120215-signed.zip at goo-inside.me/gapps/gapps-ics-20120215-signed.zip and copy to sdcard

Find and select "gapps-ics-20120215-signed.zip"
    Select "++Go Back++"

Reboot phone

All done :)

Arnt
    The recovery image linked in post #53 named "recovery_v8.img" --> http://www.mediafire.com/?2e8prgk99e3n0f7
    Doesn't seem to be able to make Nandroid Backups. It seems to correctly create a boot.img and a system.img, but while creating the data.img it crashes, leaving the data.img either with a size of 0 bytes or sometimes with a few MB but corrupted. After a bit of testing I found that the problem doesn't seem to be the backup process, but just the time of how long since the boot of the recovery image. It also reboots if I don't do anything.

Is there any other recovery that works for the U8860, besides the original one and this one? I would like to have these two features from a recovery image:
    -) flashing custom stuff
    -) creating (and restoring) nandroid backups

I searched the web, but I couldn't find anything satisfactory:
    this links to the same recovery image:
    http://naw32fsystem.blogspot.com/2012/01/how-to-install-recovery-on-huawei-honor.html

and here they have another image but it doesn't seem to boot for me, if I try to boot it, it just keeps hanging on the huawei logo
    http://unleashedprepaids.com/index.php?topic=491.0
    --> http://www.mediafire.com/?lwhyfr9kgho80ap

I managed to get the dmesg output a few milliseconds before such an unwanted reboot -->
    Code:
    /root # dmesg -c
    <3>[0, swapper] [  145.652458] 
    <3>[0, swapper] [  145.652458] SMSM: Modem SMSM state changed to SMSM_RESET.
    <3>[17, modem_notifier] [  145.652489] Notify: start reset
    <3>[17, modem_notifier] [  145.652489] Notify: start reset ch:0
    <3>[17, modem_notifier] [  145.652489] Notify: start reset ch:1
    <3>[17, modem_notifier] [  145.652519] Notify: start reset ch:2
    <3>[17, modem_notifier] [  145.652519] Notify: start reset ch:3
    <3>[17, modem_notifier] [  145.652519] Notify: start reset ch:4
    <3>[17, modem_notifier] [  145.652519] Notify: start reset ch:5
    <3>[17, modem_notifier] [  145.652519] Notify: start reset ch:6
    <3>[17, modem_notifier] [  145.652550] Notify: start reset ch:7
    <3>[17, modem_notifier] [  145.652550] Notify: start reset ch:8
    <3>[17, modem_notifier] [  145.652550] Notify: start reset ch:9
    <3>[17, modem_notifier] [  145.652550] Notify: start reset ch:10

EDIT: Okey, I seem to have finally found a recovery that seems to work, but the problem with it its in chinese... I attach it since for downloading it from this site you first have to register and reply to the post..
    http://www.deepin.org/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=2092884
    It's a bit easier to find your way around this recovery menue by looking at the screenshots with english text from here:
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1465957

EDIT2: I checked the chinese forum again, and found another post that has the same recovery but with english language! --> there -->
    http://www.deepin.org/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=2087367
    I replace the attachment file with the english version
    U8860 root

Greetings to all!
    First of all I must apologise for my bad English. Lack of practice...

I've found how to gain root access for Honor running ICS with locked bootloader.
    It is simple and ugly.
    Getting root is based on mempodroid exploit and modified n95-offsets.
    Everything was rather simple except I've got some headache while getting the conclusion :)

technical and other information
    On June 15 Huawei released firmware for CIS marked as official. Shame to Huawei for locking pinkscreen filesystem mount and many useless software. Also this firmware was really greedy for RAM. Less than 100Mb or mostly less was available after boot.

Russian community was really upset due to locked pinkscreen issue. We started root privilege search. We choose mempodroid as a primary tool. Another part was n95-offsets.
    As all of you know, n95-offsets use pattern-search scenario to find required memory offsets. Huawei (or some other company or even compiler) slightly changed source code such a way that n95-offsets didn't find necessary addresses. With the help of hexedit I've found that one (of two total for exit function) instruction was changed a little. 0xB0FFFFFF (source of n95-offsets) was changed to 0xB7FFFFFF (run-as application). Among that, while browsing binary copy I got memory address before n95-offset.

Simple code replace did the trick. mempodroid works. Root access gained.

Addresses for mempodroid usage
    Assume that you've got android SDK (just for adb), and YOU KNOW WHAT YOU DO. Rooting may violate warranty. Mind it.
    Assume you copied a recent copy of mempodroid to /data/local/tmp and started adb shell right there :)
    Code:
    shell@android:/data/local/tmp $ ./mempodroid 0xd454 0xaac3 sh
    $ in the end of command prompt became #.
    It means that ACCESS GRANTED! :D
    So...
    Exit code offset is 0xd454
    SUID code offset is 0xaac3

Cheers!

P.S. These adresses work for U8800 Pro also. :)
    did you guys managed to sync calendar? the option is not even available when i log my google account, it can only sync contacts and gmail.
    For those who have problems with calendar synchronization on ICS, perhaps you can use the way I use:

1. Go to the calendar
    2. Go to the Settings
    3. Tap/click ADD ACCOUNT
    4. Tap/click Corporate
    5. Insert your Google email address & password
    6. In the Account setup, fill the Domain\username with full of your Gmail address, for example; oke@gmail.com, for password, enter the password you have, for server, fill with m.google.com, checklist Use secure connection (SSL) Accept all SSL certificates, just tap/click Next buttons to continue, later you can choose wether you want to checklist all the options or severals... :D
    hello, we got Root, I can not insert a link (no rights), copy the post:
    1. Set the wood on your computer.

2. We enter the engineering menu of the body. (*#*# 2,846,579 #*#*) further ProjectMenu - Background setting-Log setting - Logswitch - LOG on - turn on, return to the ProjectMenu - Damp & Log include all items (total 4 points). Exit and restart ProjectMenu of the body.

3. Connecting to a PC the "Settings" - "Applications" - "Unknown sources" - turn on, then "Quick" - disable, then "Development" - include "Debug on USB" and "left on"

4. On the PC, disable antivirus, run SuperOneClickv2.3.1. and in the upper left corner click "ROOT".

5. On the pop-up windows give the "OK", a window with a proposal where a register just turn it off.

6. The ending of the whole operation will be a few lines (about half the screen) at the end of the last word "OK"

7. Turn off SuperOneClickv2.3.1, then "Options" - "Applications" - "Development" - turn off the "Debug on USB" and "left on" turn on "Quick", disconnected from the PC, restart the body.

8. If done correctly then open desks and one of them will see the icon "Sueruser" versiya3.0.7.

9. Return to its original condition and value of LOG on Damp & Log

PS
    A small addition to the previous post, namely, after the root note two folders on the SD card and bugreports sleeplog. Remove the contents. If they continue to be replenished, then go to step 2 do the engineering menu, and then claim 9. Restart the body, clean folder on your SD card.