Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,779,159 Members 46,696 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Different Angle on Bootloader Unlock

Tip us?

DrWowe
Old
Thanks Meter 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frooty View Post
I doubt it. Lying to your customers seems like it would cause so much more negative press and make people not want to buy from you again.
Well Motorola does it all the time and ppl still buy their junk. They promised a bootloader unlocker for the various Droid phones in 2011 and then... silence. Don't ever trust a "promise" from a corporation they mean nothing.

3DSammy
Old
Thanks Meter 308
Asus has worked on the bootloader. A well known dev (Bumblebee) had posted on twitter a message congratulating Asus for taking the first steps in implementing the code necessary to unlock the bootloader. That code appears in the .13 firmware update.

Bumblebee is one of the devs that found rooting exploits for the TF and TFP so I trust what he says. He is often found in the #asus-transformer IRC channel.

dilligaf
Old
Thanks Meter 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyutah22 View Post
I was thinking about Asus's statement that they would release the unlock tool in response to the Facebook, social network, etc. campaign. Has anyone else considered that Asus had no intention of releasing the tool but instead was just calming the flames as quickly as possible so that they could sell off the inventory they had and prevent those who found this to be a deal breaker from returning their tabs. They give a February release date for the tool knowing that the majority of the tabs would be sold in January thereby getting past any 30 day return issues. They then bank on the fact that most would wait out the month for the unlock tool. This is pure speculation but given their history of issues with the release, gps, and wifi, I'm starting to wonder.
Wow. What about the moon landing?

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Tapatalk

di11igaf
Old
Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 666

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by dilligaf View Post

I really just thought my account got hacked for a minute....

johnnyutah22
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by dilligaf View Post

Take it for what it's worth, just a thought. I guess it's crazy to think that Asus wouldn't release the tool in February.

dilligaf
Old
Thanks Meter 12
Funny. I saw a post from you the other day and did a big WTF.

dilligaf
Old
Thanks Meter 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyutah22 View Post
Take it for what it's worth, just a thought. I guess it's crazy to think that Asus wouldn't release the tool in February.
It may not hit in Feb, but I'd attribute that more to legalities and not fraud.

prenedo
Old
Thanks Meter 243
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3DSammy View Post
Asus has worked on the bootloader. A well known dev (Bumblebee) had posted on twitter a message congratulating Asus for taking the first steps in implementing the code necessary to unlock the bootloader. That code appears in the .13 firmware update.

Bumblebee is one of the devs that found rooting exploits for the TF and TFP so I trust what he says. He is often found in the #asus-transformer IRC channel.
Not trying to derail the thread, but I've been wondering... Does anyone know what devs have been working with the prime? I'm never on IRC and am not in 'the loop'. I guess I'm mainly wondering who to expect ROM's, themes and kernels from.