5,595,815 Members 36,240 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

No microSD card extension a new trend lately

Tip us?
 
thelegendarylegends
Old
#21  
thelegendarylegends's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 1074
Posts: 2,966
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Perth
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ouzo View Post
No micro sd card slot is a disaster for me. My music collection is over 40gb, games are often up to a gb each, my European maps are about 2gb and I like to have a few films or tv shows on board to kill time too. With a more powerful phone I'm going to want have hi-def films on board so I can stream to my tv (or to a friend's tv). I also have loads of photos from holidays and stuff which I like to keep on my memory card. Not only do I want a micro sd card slot, I want new devices to support micro sdxc for MUCH greater storage capacities and faster transfer speeds.

The cloud has its place for me, but I don't want to be left looking like a chump when I can't access a photo or song because there is either a slow or non-existent data connection. What about when my phone has to be on flight mode? Why would I want to eat into my data allowance to stream a song that could so easily be on a memory card? Streaming stuff to my phone uses noticeably more battery too.

Manufacturers want us to have fixed storage so we have to upgrade our handsets as our storage needs grow. They also realise that people are prepared to splash the cash on larger memory cards so they figure they would rather put that memory in the phone and take the extra money from us instead of letting that cash go to a card manufacturer. Finally, networks want us to store our stuff in the cloud because sooner or later we will go over our data allowances and they will make a killing in extra charges.....the next time we get a contract we'll all go for more expensive plans with a better allowance. They're not worried about the unnecessary data slowing down our mobile networks because they'll just throttle connection speeds accordingly.

Choice is good. 'Light' users won't mind a lack of SD card slot, but those of us who truly use our devices for media storage, communication, photography, sat nav and increasingly as a dockable pc replacement are really gutted. Windows mobile used to be able to connect in two ways, so there's no reason why our current devices can't pull the same trick.
u said it all mate!!!!
sent by thelegendarylegends

Current Device:

HTC ONE - Android Revolution HD 13.3 + Elementalx 3.9 - S-OFF
HTC Sensation - S-OFF
HTC Legend - S-ON



pls click the thx button if i helped u in anyway
The Following User Says Thank You to thelegendarylegends For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
norazi
Old
#22  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 61
Posts: 488
Join Date: Mar 2010
i used to have a large microSD but find myself using less than 4GB out of my 32GB card most of the time... its simply more convenient for me to stream media using spotify/grooveshark/pandora/netflix/youtube than to have the files on my card these days

also if you have a synchronized picasa account, then you dont even need to bother having your photos on a microSD card since it all gets saved to the cloud anyways. the only thing i use my microSD card for thses days is to store apks (titanium backup) and some game roms (SNES/PS1)
 
moshe22
Old
#23  
moshe22's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 197
Posts: 1,696
Join Date: Mar 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by norazi View Post
i used to have a large microSD but find myself using less than 4GB out of my 32GB card most of the time... its simply more convenient for me to stream media using spotify/grooveshark/pandora/netflix/youtube than to have the files on my card these days

also if you have a synchronized picasa account, then you dont even need to bother having your photos on a microSD card since it all gets saved to the cloud anyways. the only thing i use my microSD card for thses days is to store apks (titanium backup) and some game roms (SNES/PS1)
Doesn't this use all of your data ?

Sent from my HTC Sensation 4G using XDA App
I can do all things through Jesus who gives me strength
---
Follow me on Twitter
---
Current:
GSM Samsung Galaxy Nexus
---
Previous phones:
HTC Sensation
LG G2x
Samsung Galaxy S 4G
HTC HD7
 
norazi
Old
#24  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 61
Posts: 488
Join Date: Mar 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by moshe22 View Post
Doesn't this use all of your data ?

Sent from my HTC Sensation 4G using XDA App
tzones.. unlimited 4G
 
townay
Old
#25  
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 114
Posts: 435
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Chang Hua City
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbkkt1 View Post
The reason...is economics.
When memory was a lot more expensive, it was more cost effective to let the consumer pay for large sums of memory.remember when 16 gig micro sd Coss cost 100 bucks?
Blame Apple who were charging An extra 100 bucks for an extra 8 gigs. Pure profit for phone makers now that memory its so cheap now.
wouldnt it actually be more profitable if say, they give consumers a microsd expansion rather than a fixed capacity and then improve on their device feature/performance wise?
 
mrbkkt1
Old
#26  
mrbkkt1's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 98
Posts: 1,048
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Mililani
Quote:
Originally Posted by townay View Post
wouldnt it actually be more profitable if say, they give consumers a microsd expansion rather than a fixed capacity and then improve on their device feature/performance wise?
nah 16 gigs of micro sd is less than 20 bucks on amazon now. lets say they build in 8 to 16 gigs of storage. add a 16 gig chip internally for 10 bucks, then charge the consumer an extra 100.
not to mention the data usage charges ( more applicable in europe) which service providers love.

motorolla did this with a few phones, on ifixit tear downs, there is a micro sd internally mounted. i forget which phone though.
Current devices: Galaxy Note 2 Stock,Nexus 4-stock, galaxy tab 2-7, galaxy note 10.1
Previous devices:
Sensation 4G Bruce cm10 jellybean, Asus TF300, Blackberry Playbook, Nexus 1, SE Xperia x1a,HTC Kaiser,Nokia N80,Sony Ericsson W800, Nokia 9500, Motorolla MPX 300 (winmo3), and dozens more. also have an iphone 3g and ipad2 in the family.
 
townay
Old
#27  
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 114
Posts: 435
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Chang Hua City
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbkkt1 View Post
nah 16 gigs of micro sd is less than 20 bucks on amazon now. lets say they build in 8 to 16 gigs of storage. add a 16 gig chip internally for 10 bucks, then charge the consumer an extra 100.
not to mention the data usage charges ( more applicable in europe) which service providers love.

motorolla did this with a few phones, on ifixit tear downs, there is a micro sd internally mounted. i forget which phone though.
I see. Thanks for the clarification. I dont usually follow on the price changes of microsd but now that you mentioned it, a 16gb c10 microsd costs more or less the same over here in taiwan.

I dont have a clue about european's telco service though.

hTc Sensation with ARHD 7.2 XE
hTc One on stock
 
masondoctorjt
Old
#28  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 153
Posts: 957
Join Date: Apr 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by boomboomer View Post
I thought the internal sd card was originally to comply with windows mobile specification, then manufacturers used the same hardware for other models e.g. sensation XL is the Titan, just with Android instead of wm7. I'm not sure this will result in a new trend, but being unable to eject the card, also having a known specification of card probably reduces problems to the OS.

Not sure the larger displays on the new crop of phones are an improvement, with only a 1800mAh battery the reviews will probably bitch hardest about the short battery life.
Yes, but isn't wp8 gonna bring back mass storage support? It would suck I'd android did away with it and wp adopted it again.


Sent from my HTC Sensation 4G using XDA App
 
ceza_21
Old
#29  
Member
Thanks Meter 6
Posts: 33
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: london
Guys you will get 32gb + 50gb dropbox =82gb its more than enough :)

Sent from my HTC Sensation XE with Beats Audio Z715e using xda premium
 
thelegendarylegends
Old
#30  
thelegendarylegends's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 1074
Posts: 2,966
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Perth
Quote:
Originally Posted by ceza_21 View Post
Guys you will get 32gb + 50gb dropbox =82gb its more than enough :)

Sent from my HTC Sensation XE with Beats Audio Z715e using xda premium

But u need to use internet to get that tho, so really, it sucks
sent from my beast HTC Sensation powered by my Extreme Sensation Blaze™ 2 with HTC Sense 3.6
sent by thelegendarylegends

Current Device:

HTC ONE - Android Revolution HD 13.3 + Elementalx 3.9 - S-OFF
HTC Sensation - S-OFF
HTC Legend - S-ON



pls click the thx button if i helped u in anyway

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes