Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,781,609 Members 42,284 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Horrible battery life after 2.3.6

Tip us?
 
DragonQ
Old
#161  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter 2
Posts: 21
Join Date: Oct 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Entropy512 View Post
See my "known battery drainers" thread in this forum section - Skip straight to the Wireshark section of the first post.
Thanks, I'll check it out!
 
DragonQ
Old
#162  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter 2
Posts: 21
Join Date: Oct 2011
Haven't had a time to read that stuff yet (will do so this afternoon) but interestingly, I turned on the WiFi at home last night and the battery was fine. Dropped ~2% per hour with ocassional use, as opposed to the ~10% per hour with no use at all I was getting at work. I'm now at work with the WiFi off and it's only dropped 3% in 4 hours with negligible use (2 texts).

Maybe it's some weird compatibility issue with the WiFi I connect to at work? In fact, I'm sure I still get the drain with the WiFi on at work but not actually connecting to any access point...
 
Entropy512
Old
#163  
Senior Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 24,242
Posts: 13,216
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Owego, NY

 
DONATE TO ME
Drain without connection sounds weird, unless you are getting hit with the BT-AMP bug which is mentioned throughout this thread.

Drain with connection - Some networks are "dirty" with lots of various broadcast traffic (a work network would very likely be in this category). You'll see a few reports in this thread (and I now have it as an item in "known battery drainers" of misbehaving routers that send out ARP spam for example - There's a small bug in XXKI3 (and probably in XWKI4) that disables the wifi chip's packet filters that SHOULD be enabled when the screen is off. As a result, even though it's not prone to the BT-AMP bug, XXKI3 is prone to drain on a "dirty" network.
*so much sig updating needed*

My Github profile - Some Android stuff, some AVR stuff

An excellent post on "noobs vs. developers"

A few opinions on kernel development "good practices"

Note: I have chosen not to use XDA's "friends" feature - I will reject all incoming "friend" requests.

Code:
<MikeyMike01> Smali is a spawn of hell
<shoman94> ^^^ +!
Code:
<Entropy512> gotta be careful not to step on each other's work.  :)
<Bumble-Bee> thats true
<jerdog> compeete for donations
 
jhermit
Old
#164  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 36
Posts: 193
Join Date: Feb 2011
I have been going crazy with this battery life problem. I started with stock 2.3.4 and everything was great. Then AT&T upgraded me to 2.3.6 and things were really bad. Android OS showed upwards to 80% consumption and I was getting over 6% per hour idle consumption. And my saga began:

- I downgraded to 2.3.4 and I thought everything was great, but no, it was not. Somehow it started going south again.
- So I went with SHOStock 1.9.1 and 1.9.2 and same thing
- I read all of (well, most of) Entropy's writings and ran wiresharks, BBS, CPUSpy etc and nothing really looked that off
- I went to UnNamed 1.3.2/DD 1208 as everybody said that was the one. Nope
- Went with the Hellraised European ROMs (several). Nope
- Tried about every Kernel out there. Nope
- Went back to try all those ROMs without any apps added to ensure it wasn't one of my apps. Nope, they were all horrible battery life still.

Finally I decided that the only thing that was constant in my phone was the HW. So most likley there was something physically wrong with my phone. Before going to the store to return it, I decided to Format my SDCARD. So I did and guess what... <1% drain per hour. I added all my apps from TiBu and still <1% per hour today. It has only been a few hours and last time when I reverted to 2.3.4 it worked for a while and then went back to bad, so I cannot claim that this is a fix. However, formatting my SDCARD storage definitely made a difference.

I am sharing to see if somebody can make any comments on if it makes sense. I will post again in a couple of days to let you know if the good battery life has continued or the drained returned.
 
Entropy512
Old
#165  
Senior Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 24,242
Posts: 13,216
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Owego, NY

 
DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhermit View Post
I have been going crazy with this battery life problem. I started with stock 2.3.4 and everything was great. Then AT&T upgraded me to 2.3.6 and things were really bad. Android OS showed upwards to 80% consumption and I was getting over 6% per hour idle consumption. And my saga began:

- I downgraded to 2.3.4 and I thought everything was great, but no, it was not. Somehow it started going south again.
- So I went with SHOStock 1.9.1 and 1.9.2 and same thing
- I read all of (well, most of) Entropy's writings and ran wiresharks, BBS, CPUSpy etc and nothing really looked that off
- I went to UnNamed 1.3.2/DD 1208 as everybody said that was the one. Nope
- Went with the Hellraised European ROMs (several). Nope
- Tried about every Kernel out there. Nope
- Went back to try all those ROMs without any apps added to ensure it wasn't one of my apps. Nope, they were all horrible battery life still.

Finally I decided that the only thing that was constant in my phone was the HW. So most likley there was something physically wrong with my phone. Before going to the store to return it, I decided to Format my SDCARD. So I did and guess what... <1% drain per hour. I added all my apps from TiBu and still <1% per hour today. It has only been a few hours and last time when I reverted to 2.3.4 it worked for a while and then went back to bad, so I cannot claim that this is a fix. However, formatting my SDCARD storage definitely made a difference.

I am sharing to see if somebody can make any comments on if it makes sense. I will post again in a couple of days to let you know if the good battery life has continued or the drained returned.
Corrupt SD cards can cause mediascanner to go nuts - usually there's evidence of this in BBS and such though. (I'm not sure as it's never happened to me.)
*so much sig updating needed*

My Github profile - Some Android stuff, some AVR stuff

An excellent post on "noobs vs. developers"

A few opinions on kernel development "good practices"

Note: I have chosen not to use XDA's "friends" feature - I will reject all incoming "friend" requests.

Code:
<MikeyMike01> Smali is a spawn of hell
<shoman94> ^^^ +!
Code:
<Entropy512> gotta be careful not to step on each other's work.  :)
<Bumble-Bee> thats true
<jerdog> compeete for donations
The Following User Says Thank You to Entropy512 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
jhermit
Old
#166  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 36
Posts: 193
Join Date: Feb 2011
Well, never mind. It's back to sucking batteries. I hate this!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using Tapatalk
 
weaver4
Old
#167  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 8
Join Date: Jan 2012
I am more than a little irritated that Samsung has not fixed this issue yet.

Samsung if you are listening: "If you want to be like Apple then you need to be like Apple." Admit the issue and fix it!
 
Entropy512
Old
#168  
Senior Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 24,242
Posts: 13,216
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Owego, NY

 
DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by weaver4 View Post
I am more than a little irritated that Samsung has not fixed this issue yet.

Samsung if you are listening: "If you want to be like Apple then you need to be like Apple." Admit the issue and fix it!
They have - AT&T is just not releasing the fix. XWKL1 has no BT-AMP bug and the wifi packet filters work correctly, it seems like XWLA4 is also working properly.
*so much sig updating needed*

My Github profile - Some Android stuff, some AVR stuff

An excellent post on "noobs vs. developers"

A few opinions on kernel development "good practices"

Note: I have chosen not to use XDA's "friends" feature - I will reject all incoming "friend" requests.

Code:
<MikeyMike01> Smali is a spawn of hell
<shoman94> ^^^ +!
Code:
<Entropy512> gotta be careful not to step on each other's work.  :)
<Bumble-Bee> thats true
<jerdog> compeete for donations
 
JustinW3
Old
#169  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 46
Posts: 173
Join Date: Feb 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Entropy512 View Post
They have - AT&T is just not releasing the fix. XWKL1 has no BT-AMP bug and the wifi packet filters work correctly, it seems like XWLA4 is also working properly.
Any idea why they aren't releasing it? I'm getting very frustrated with this and haven't worked up the nerve to root since I'm still on warranty. Right now I'm in the process of doing a discharge of my battery relevant to this thread.... I have a screenshot that of my battery draining overnight. 9h 17m 10s on battery. Down low enough for bar to be under 20%. Usage list: Android OS 98%, nothing else on the list.
 
jhermit
Old
#170  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 36
Posts: 193
Join Date: Feb 2011
Default sec-battery-monitor

I keep looking at this problem and have noticed that my top three wakelocks are SVNET, WLAN_RX_WAKE, and sec-battery-monitor.

So the first two tell me, from what I have read here, that I have an app that is asking for data quite a bit. I am freezing things trying to figure out which one is my rogue app. I am currently on UnNamed 1.3.2 (XXKH7).

The one I am puzzled about and have spent a bit of time researching is the sec-battery-monitor. From what I read that is the Android built in battery monitor. Why in the world would that thing have that high of a wakelock count? Is that a bug? I have tried several ROMs at KH7 and KK6 and both bases show the sec-battery-monitor high wakelock. Maybe when I fix my data problem this one will go away, but after reading for hours trying to see if anybody knows why this wakelock is there, I have not read a root cause explanation that makes sense (most people conclude an OS bug).

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes