Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,738,501 Members 48,938 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

How fast does this thing charge?

Tip us?

AboveAverage
Old
Thanks Meter 4
+1 on the Samsung charger. When I use all of the other micro USB chargers that I have it barely charges it. One night I put it on one of the other chargers at 1 am @ 23% and when I woke up at 6 am it was only at 77%. So I put it on the Samsung charger and it went to 100% by 7 am.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using xda premium

ahmarchi
Old
Thanks Meter 153
My note charges extremely fast

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using xda premium

pic when this was godly speeds about 6 years ago... REMEMBER WHAT BROUGHT US HERE

PROUD XDA MEMBER FOR 6 YEARS!!!!!

Current Device: Galaxy note 3 (AT&T)
previous:
galaxy note 2
galaxy note
motorola atrix
iphone 4
iphone 3s
htc touch hd
htc fuze ( htc pro)
att kizer

Irishwake83
Old
Thanks Meter 7
Hmmmmmm.

Last night I charged mine on my old HTC charger cuz I didn't feel like crawling behind the bed to swap them. When I woke up (after 8.5 hours of charging) I was at 99%. I suppose it could have been the stupid battery widget reporting incorrectly but my phone was down 8% in the first hour, with only 2 minutes of screen on time.

Guess tonight I'll swap chargers and see if that makes a difference.

epi117
Old
Thanks Meter 1
any harm in using the Ipad charger to charge the note. i use it on my Iphone and it really speeds up the time needed to charge.

My note will be here Friday.

techntrek
Old
Thanks Meter 43
There may be two variables at play here - the cable, the charging source. I know with my Advantage the stock charger (with no removable cable) had an additional pin which told the Advantage to charge at a full 1 amp rate vs. the standard 500 ma available from a USB port. I think the stock Note charger is rated for 800 ma, don't have it here to verify.

Using the Note's stock cable I've seen a fairly fast recharge time both from the stock charger and my computer's USB port. Yesterday I drained down to 6%, plugged into my work computer (stock cable) for 2 hours then 1 more hour in my car and I was up to 77% after. Which included some time streaming XM via blutooth. Then plugged into the stock charger at home and was up to 100% after a few hours even though I was tethering via Wifi to 2 computers with heavy surfing.

We would need several tests to see if there is something special about the stock charger, the stock cable, or both. But compared to my Advantage it charges way faster and uses much less energy - excluding the display.

lowspeed
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by techntrek View Post
There may be two variables at play here - the cable, the charging source. I know with my Advantage the stock charger (with no removable cable) had an additional pin which told the Advantage to charge at a full 1 amp rate vs. the standard 500 ma available from a USB port. I think the stock Note charger is rated for 800 ma, don't have it here to verify.

Using the Note's stock cable I've seen a fairly fast recharge time both from the stock charger and my computer's USB port. Yesterday I drained down to 6%, plugged into my work computer (stock cable) for 2 hours then 1 more hour in my car and I was up to 77% after. Which included some time streaming XM via blutooth. Then plugged into the stock charger at home and was up to 100% after a few hours even though I was tethering via Wifi to 2 computers with heavy surfing.

We would need several tests to see if there is something special about the stock charger, the stock cable, or both. But compared to my Advantage it charges way faster and uses much less energy - excluding the display.

Interesting. I wonder if it's just a good low gauge (thicker, better conducting) cable, because the HTC adapters are rated 1 amp.

big samm
Old
Thanks Meter 34
People who uses the charger that came with the phone must know that these chargers are really weak... They are only 1Amp... I use my blackberry playbook charger which is 1.8Amp charges the phone almost twice as fast than the regular one... Same thing with my ipad and iphone... I use my ipad charger to charge my iphone 4s and it's way faster! Use more powerful chargers! My note gets charged in 2hours top!

Sent from my iPad 3G

CradleRob
Old
Thanks Meter 24
I just posted a thread in the Accessories forum about this very issue. Charge Times vary from 3.4 hours to 10 hours!!!

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1511878

lowspeed
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 42
I'm curious to know what is the max amperage that the note can take. I know my old EVO is limited to about 950ma.

tbran
Old
(Last edited by tbran; 23rd February 2012 at 12:29 AM.)
Thanks Meter 73
Uh...I love my Note, but it charges pretty slowly compared to my Skyrocket. It is also the first phone I have had, that can actually discharge while using it on a car charger. Especially if you are watching video or any screen intensive task.

Sent from Tapatalk Pro on my Samsung Galaxy Note, an AT&T LTE smartphone
Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 3.