Disappointing battery life. So far

Search This thread

junodragon

Feb 23, 2012
Noob here. I've been following the posts here and I'm experiencing lower than expected battery life too, I think.

Can anyone make any suggestions to increase my battery life? I've installed Juice Defender Beta(balanced), turned screen brightness down(14%), have background data and auto sync on. I had wifi constantly on until I read on here that it sucks up battery life, so I disabled it until I got home. Any help is appreciated! Thanks!

droidal

Jul 12, 2010
Saint Louis
Noob here. I've been following the posts here and I'm experiencing lower than expected battery life too, I think.

Can anyone make any suggestions to increase my battery life? I've installed Juice Defender Beta(balanced), turned screen brightness down(14%), have background data and auto sync on. I had wifi constantly on until I read on here that it sucks up battery life, so I disabled it until I got home. Any help is appreciated! Thanks!

I would let that sucker get as low as you can take it then charge it up to 100%, and only use the wall charger. Charge it with the phone off. The first couple times I charged mine just like that. I also unplugged my phone when it said 100% and plugged it right back in and let it go back to 100% again. Usually took 5 minutes are less. I felt these step conditioned my battery. I'm getting 20 hours battery with 3 1/2 hours screen on time.

If it don't get better walk in to ATT and trade that battery in.

---------- Post added at 09:45 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:44 PM ----------

I'm not using juice defender or anything and keep my screen at 100%.

buckwheat.phd

Aug 17, 2011
Like all other new phones/batts, my experience went like this:

• 1st day - awful. Killed it in about 6 hours
  • Today (6 days later) - batt life has apparently tripled. Been running it since 6am, it's now 10:30pm at 44%. I've been texting, talking, *****ing, playing, surfing and what ever else

So not only have I calmed down on the poor thing since the 1st day, according to the chemical engineers these batts become much more efficient after x# of cycles. Like 2x as efficient after only ~ 1/2 dozen cycles.

So give it some time and watch. And there's always that goofy 5" thick 5A battery w/extended back you can buy - which I HAD to do with my Infuse. The Infuse *never* got any better. I could live with the extra size on the Infuse, but on this one no way.

I just keep it in my pocket, no problem. No case. New backs are only $18 on Ebay if it gets scratched up. I'm always asked what it is, I just tell them it's a micro-tablet. They usually sneak off and buy one but don't tell anyone, or worse let anyone see them holding it up to their face. Then they call in sick the next day to play with it lol.

This thing is a class act.

Reactions: HarmonyFlame

cmjkxa

May 24, 2011
San diego
This is my battery life. 21 hours unplugged, and made it to just over 5 hours screen on time when my battery hit 1%. Totally stock, auto-brightness, streamed music over Bluetooth, browsed the web, watched videos, and used wifi. Also in a LTE area (Atlanta)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using xda premium

how the heck are you getting 5 hours of screen on time?! I can barely make 3.5

Err0xx

Feb 24, 2011
Birmingham, Alabama
how the heck are you getting 5 hours of screen on time?! I can barely make 3.5

I take some extra precautions such as every app that has the option, I select the darkest theme I can find. I have super dark backgrounds, etc. Thats huge for power savings on AMOLED. Also i keep a CLOSE eye on wakelocks using BetterBatteryStats. Other than that I just use my phone. Batteries "burn in" at different speeds depending on slight differences in chemical make-up, so give it some time. Right now I'm at 4h 33m screen-on and 20h unplugged and I'm still at 22%, so my battery life tonight is better than my previous screenshot. Engadget reported 8.5 hours in their video rundown test at 60% brightness in an LTE area on the ATT Note, so my battery life seems about on par with theirs.

Last edited:

cmjkxa

May 24, 2011
San diego
I take some extra precautions such as every app that has the option, I select the darkest theme I can find. I have super dark backgrounds, etc. Thats huge for power savings on AMOLED. Also i keep a CLOSE eye on wakelocks using BetterBatteryStats. Other than that I just use my phone. Batteries "burn in" at different speeds depending on slight differences in chemical make-up, so give it some time. Right now I'm at 4h 33m screen-on and 20h unplugged and I'm still at 22%, so my battery life tonight is better than my previous screenshot. Engadget reported 8.5 hours in their video rundown test at 60% brightness in an LTE area on the ATT Note, so my battery life seems about on par with theirs.

I downloaded betterbatterystats and I noticed that "alarm manager" is on for partial wakelocks for hours. Any idea what that might be?

Err0xx

Feb 24, 2011
Birmingham, Alabama
I downloaded betterbatterystats and I noticed that "alarm manager" is on for partial wakelocks for hours. Any idea what that might be?

That partial wakelock can murder a battery. Samsung phones have incredible deep sleep efficiency. Take that way and you heavily hit battery life.

Charge your phone to 100% and power it off then back on. Go a few hours with it and check BetterBatteryStats using the "since unplugged" option. See if the wakelock is still active. Generally restarts kill wakelocks like that, as its just a bugger in the software that glitched. If its still acting as a wakelock after the restart, thus preventing deep sleep, we'll try to precisely identify what's doing it so you can force close the guilty app should the wakelock repeat in the future. Sounds like maybe something with the native clocks app. Try what I said with a charge and restart first, though. That's fixed my wakelocks.

cmjkxa

May 24, 2011
San diego
That partial wakelock can murder a battery. Samsung phones have incredible deep sleep efficiency. Take that way and you heavily hit battery life.

Charge your phone to 100% and power it off then back on. Go a few hours with it and check BetterBatteryStats using the "since unplugged" option. See if the wakelock is still active. Generally restarts kill wakelocks like that, as its just a bugger in the software that glitched. If its still acting as a wakelock after the restart, thus preventing deep sleep, we'll try to precisely identify what's doing it so you can force close the guilty app should the wakelock repeat in the future. Sounds like maybe something with the native clocks app. Try what I said with a charge and restart first, though. That's fixed my wakelocks.

Thank you so much for your quick response! I'll do exactly that and give my findings. :D

Zabalba

Jun 19, 2010
Miami
I don't know about you guys but my battery life has been stellar.

Sent from my GNote.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1329975984268.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1329975984268.jpg
    19 KB · Views: 83
  • uploadfromtaptalk1329976037372.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1329976037372.jpg
    28.9 KB · Views: 84

Bl00dRunzC0ld

Jan 9, 2012
Spokane WA
My battery life is fine for me. Got the phone on sunday and my battery life has been like this every day.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1329980886923.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1329980886923.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 181

Nicarsu

Feb 19, 2012
Yesterday I factory reset my phone and formatted usb storage and my cf card, just in case it was some filesystem corruption causing my fast battery drain. I wasn't able to diagnose a particular cause for my issue, but I suspect it was something sitting on partial wakelocks all the time.

This time I'm being much more judicious adding software and auditing their effects before continuing. I've now got it working dramatically better than it has so far, and I feel confident that I have proper diagnostic tools to discover future problems.

I'm running the stock rom and unrooted so far. All I've removed are easily removable preloaded apps that I know I'm not going to use.

Attachments

• capture_01.jpg
    capture_01.jpg
    26.2 KB · Views: 145

ElCamino

Feb 5, 2007
I am getting pretty good battery life on the Gnote.

odobo

Nov 9, 2008
SF Bay Area
I would highly recommend a reboot for the guys that their note cant last for a day.... I root the phone the day before and yesterday my battery only lasted 8+ hours before it got below 10%. I checked and found that the phone didnt enter much deep sleep for the whole 8 hours even when its idle, it was sitting in the 384MHz for nothing.

This morning after I fully charged my phone I reboot right away. The phone lasted for 13:35 hr (screen on time about 50% and battery watch show display spent 53% of battery) and entered deep sleep a lot more than yesterday when it is idle....

its still doesnt last as long as my iphone4 did... but I will take it for now and see if I will need a spare battery later :D

CradleRob

Dec 26, 2011
I would highly recommend a reboot for the guys that their note cant last for a day.... I root the phone the day before and yesterday my battery only lasted 8+ hours before it got below 10%. I checked and found that the phone didnt enter much deep sleep for the whole 8 hours even when its idle, it was sitting in the 384MHz for nothing.

This morning after I fully charged my phone I reboot right away. The phone lasted for 13:35 hr (screen on time about 50% and battery watch show display spent 53% of battery) and entered deep sleep a lot more than yesterday when it is idle....

its still doesnt last as long as my iphone4 did... but I will take it for now and see if I will need a spare battery later :D

I've booted and rebooted. Wtf??

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Tapatalk

Attachments

• capture_03.jpg
    capture_03.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 75
Last edited:

Maroon Mushroom

Jul 15, 2010
Portland, Oregon
MM's battery tips!

-Juice Defender. Free app on the market. Although I highly recommend the paid version, it is amazing. It controls your data / wifi / bluetooth and only turns them on when you need them.
-Screen off profile. You can do this in SetCPU. Under the profiles tab, create a new profile to only be active when the screen is off. set your maximum clock at 192mhz. Because you don't need it clocked up if it's just in your pocket or something.
-Brightness. As you guys are probably seeing from your battery usage, the screen is taking up the battery. Just lower the brightness. Sure it won't be a complete flashlight anymore, but you'll get used to it and it will help your battery.

Right now it's not the battery life that bothers me, it's how slow it charges. Hopefully we'll get a kernel that supports rapid charging.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Well certainly seems to be a thorough report and investigation. Guess the battery is crap :(

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using XDA App
    Yesterday I factory reset my phone and formatted usb storage and my cf card, just in case it was some filesystem corruption causing my fast battery drain. I wasn't able to diagnose a particular cause for my issue, but I suspect it was something sitting on partial wakelocks all the time.

This time I'm being much more judicious adding software and auditing their effects before continuing. I've now got it working dramatically better than it has so far, and I feel confident that I have proper diagnostic tools to discover future problems.

I'm running the stock rom and unrooted so far. All I've removed are easily removable preloaded apps that I know I'm not going to use.
    It will take 4-5 full recharge cycles to hit full capacity. The graph you show is fine. How much battery life were you expecting? 12-14 hours would seem about right.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using XDA App
    no *****in about battery life for at least a few days if not a week... it will not stabilize until the phone has been charged up and drained several times. case in point, i took it right out the box and started using it. started at about 50% battery life and was dead in an hour. charged it up last night and been using it for the last 6 hours pretty heavily and its still at 77%.

it will only get better, be patient :) my atrix was just as bad out of the box.
    You should get 24 hrs on normal use and 12 hrs heavy use.i have international for month now
    I can easly make 28 hrs.just phone text and web.no movies or games.first few days dont charge unless almost dead.