Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,781,336 Members 36,471 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[PORT] Ubuntu 11.10 Native (Alpha 0.0.4)

Tip us?

UserNumberZero
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by tanner314 View Post
Thanks for the update your the best I didn't even know there was Ubuntu 12.04
its in development, due out in april i believe.

ive been working on making a custom rootfs with Xubuntu installed, but have had no luck getting any of my builds to boot. they always hang with one of a few error messages; "starting userspace bootsplash", "stopping userspace bootsplash", "starting loading fallback graphics devices", or "stopping loading fallback graphics devices". i can find no way to get around them. if anyone can shed any light on this it would be much appreciated.

JesusFreak316
Old
(Last edited by JesusFreak316; 23rd February 2012 at 03:06 PM.)
Thanks Meter 61
Quote:
Yes I got wifi finally working Thanks to Calc and Jesus(that is both the one above and the one who helped me ) Here is what I did.

Go into Novaterm if you don't have it use Webosquickinstall.
Put JesusFreak316's script:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/11867712/4GB...nstallFixed.sh into /media/internal

For some reason the script alone didn't fix wifi so I did the following:
download CalcProgrammer1's file:
http://www.box.com/s/by3utcdrirtf334tnep7
"Click Tools"
"Then Linux commandline"
run these commands:
Code:
sh 4GBUbuntuReinstallFixed.sh
boot back into webos and then go back on the computer and run these commands:
Code:
mkdir /tmp/linux
mount /dev/store/ubuntu-root
# then send the Modifications.tar.gz to /tmp/linux and run:
cd /tmp/linux
ls
#make sure that mofications.tar.gz is in there

tar xzf mofications.tar.gz
reboot
Boot into Ubuntu and run the following:
Code:
sudo su -
depmod -a
modprobe ath6kl
ifconfig wlan0 up
reboot
#if you get an error such as this 
wlan0: ERROR while getting interface flags: No such device
run the following below in Terminal in  Ubuntu
cd '/etc/'
gedit modules
#add 'ath6kl' at the very bottom and hit save
sudo reboot
WIFI SHOULD WORK NOW!

---------- Post added at 02:55 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:53 AM ----------

Thanks for the update your the best I didn't even know there was Ubuntu 12.04
Glad you got it working but I don't think most of that should be necessary. You SHOULD be able to just run my script then once you boot into Ubuntu run
Code:
sudo depmod -a
sudo gedit /etc/modules (add "ath6kl" to the end of the file and save)
sudo update-rc.d bcattach_srv defaults
sudo reboot
If we ever get fully working touchscreen with multi touch: http://unity.ubuntu.com/projects/utouch/ Mmmmm...

Pretty screenshot: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/11867712/Scr...%3A46%3A08.png.
Device history:
Bunch of dumbphones
Samsung SCH-I760
HTC Fuze (Raph 110) O2 Wireless prepaid to avoid paying for data
HTC HD2 Running Americanandroid and YukiXDA WP7
HP Touchpad 32GB (Got it for $150 )

My projects:
Rockbox VGA port
The Following User Says Thank You to JesusFreak316 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

tanner314
Old
Thanks Meter 3
Can we use a virtual desktop to bring Windows to Ubuntu?
Such as Vmware. Also windows 8 has a ARM leak, this is why I ask

CalcProgrammer1
Old
Thanks Meter 554
Quote:
Can we use a virtual desktop to bring Windows to Ubuntu?
Such as Vmware. Also windows 8 has a ARM leak, this is why I ask
I doubt it. There is no VMWare/VirtualBox for ARM (only x86, which is designed fairly well for virtualization). There is QEMU but this is going to be incredibly slow (ie. it may run Windows 95 at a slow pace, but anything more than that probably won't boot at all, or would take an hour to load). QEMU can run x86 or ARM binaries on ARM because it is an emulator, not a virtualization environment, but this makes it slow.

I think we'd have better luck actually booting the ARM version of Win8 on the TouchPad. The better question is why, just because it's Windows doesn't automatically mean it will run your favorite Windows apps. It won't be able to run Windows games and there isn't an Office for it yet I don't think. The most you'd get is the interface and bundled apps (which is IE, and who uses that anyways).

I think we have a much better chance at making a high quality Ubuntu/Arch/Debian/Whatever Linux port that brings a ton of Linux apps already available for ARM to the platform (including Firefox, LibreOffice, etc.).
Samsung Galaxy Note 3 SM-900T 32GB
Samsung Galaxy Note SGH-i717 16GB
HP TouchPad 32GB
Archos 43 Internet Tablet - 16GB + 32GB mSD
Dell Axim X50v - 128MB + 16GB CF

newellj79
Old
Thanks Meter 232
Wanted to take a crack at this this morning. But I'm lost on the first step. I can't find novaterm to use with Ubuntu? Any ideas? Also, I noticed alot of deving has been done since the OP. Are people still using the script posted in the OP of is there a updated one that I should use. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

robreefer
Old
Thanks Meter 0
I was going top give this a shot this morning, and after reading the instructions, it seems that the install instructions came out before android was ported to the touchpad. My question is, do I go about installing this a different way being that I have CM9 already installed? Thanks for any heads up!

UserNumberZero
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by newellj79 View Post
Wanted to take a crack at this this morning. But I'm lost on the first step. I can't find novaterm to use with Ubuntu? Any ideas? Also, I noticed alot of deving has been done since the OP. Are people still using the script posted in the OP of is there a updated one that I should use. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
you can find novacom (which includes novaterm) here (im assuming youre on a 32-bit computer). just install the .deb (you dont need the Palm SDK for linux, novacom is all you need). then, with your TouchPad plugged in to your computer, type "novaterm" in a terminal. you are then in the root shell of your TouchPad.

a few posts back there was an updated install script. just read the last two or three pages and thats where it will be.

CalcProgrammer1
Old
Thanks Meter 554
Quote:
Originally Posted by robreefer View Post
I was going top give this a shot this morning, and after reading the instructions, it seems that the install instructions came out before android was ported to the touchpad. My question is, do I go about installing this a different way being that I have CM9 already installed? Thanks for any heads up!
This does not affect Android in any way. I have the latest CM9 installed and this installer does not touch it. The only thing to make sure is that you have room in your /boot partition, but if all you have is CM9 and WebOS and haven't tried installing any other OS, you will be fine.
Samsung Galaxy Note 3 SM-900T 32GB
Samsung Galaxy Note SGH-i717 16GB
HP TouchPad 32GB
Archos 43 Internet Tablet - 16GB + 32GB mSD
Dell Axim X50v - 128MB + 16GB CF

robreefer
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by CalcProgrammer1 View Post
This does not affect Android in any way. I have the latest CM9 installed and this installer does not touch it. The only thing to make sure is that you have room in your /boot partition, but if all you have is CM9 and WebOS and haven't tried installing any other OS, you will be fine.
Thanks for the reply!

I just have one question before I get this going. When it comes to the instruction, "copy the shell script to the root of your TP's media drive" is that refering to the SD card partition or the directory /system/media/? (I'm assuming the Sd card partition)

ssconceptz
Old
Recognized Themer
Thanks Meter 1,024

DONATE TO ME
Any instructions on how to run CM9 & Ubuntu and get rid of Web OS?

FIX YOUR BRICK, IM this guy ===> tomy1986.nt
Nexus 5 - CM11 Nightlies | Surface Pro 128GB
Nexus 5 RANDOMLY REBOOTING???? FIX!!!!!!! My Solution
Video Reviews

Hit that THANKS button if I've helped you out!
Let me know anything you want reviewed!