View Poll Results: What more do you want?
Support for Native Video Calling over WiFi & 3G? 76 22.03%
GTalk with Voice & Video? 67 19.42%
Custom ROM with Faster & Smoother Kernel? 273 79.13%
Custom ROM with better Themes? 92 26.67%
Ice Cream Sandwich Update? 187 54.20%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 345. You may not vote on this poll

Motorola Fire XT / XT-530 / XT-531 ROOTING / SBFs / Custom ROMs / CWM

OP jeet.9890427233

22nd February 2012, 03:39 PM   |  #111  
Thanks Meter: 1

16 posts
Official from Motorola - No Ice Cream Sandwich
I used the facebook way to contact Motorola, asking them if our phone would be updated to Ice Cream Sandwich. They sent me an e-mail stating that due to hardware limitations our phone would remain on its current android version so that the performance woul not be compromised.

Now our only hope is Cyanogenmod 9.

Here is the e-mail (in portuguese).

Boa tarde,

Nosso objetivo aqui na Motorola é proporcionar as melhores experiências com aparelhos Android. Infelizmente, devido à limitações de hardware, alguns modelos podem não apresentar uma boa performance com novas atualizações. Sendo assim, depois de vários testes, resolvemos manter o SPICE XT em sua versão atual do Android para que o desempenho seja mantido por completo.

Se precisar de mais alguma informação, podemos conversar aqui mesmo pelo Talk2Motorola ou por algum de nossos canais de atendimento tradicionais, como email, telefone ou Motochat (http://bit.ly/s2q6eS).

A Motorola Brasil agradece o seu contato
22nd February 2012, 04:53 PM   |  #112  
Flag Cairo
Thanks Meter: 215

525 posts
More
Hey guys, while playing with this phone today I made a terrible discovery.

The kernel version is 2.6.32 which is the Android 2.2 Froyo kernel.

Gingerbread is supposed to include kernel version 2.6.35

Can someone please confirm my finding so that we can contact Motorola and demand that they provide an updated kernel.

As for those asking about ICS:
The only reason Motorola (and others) won't provide updates is for financial and business reasons. Android is Open Source and can be adapted to run on a wide range hardware. Many phones with even lower specs than ours have ICS running almost perfectly.
22nd February 2012, 04:54 PM   |  #113  
Flag Raleigh, NC
Thanks Meter: 21

109 posts
More
I know it was a long shot even defy+ wont be upgraded its really sad motorola adds alot of bloatware making it impossible for our device to run ICS.

So yes CM9 is our best choice !

Sent from my XT530 using Tapatalk
22nd February 2012, 05:01 PM   |  #114  
Flag Raleigh, NC

109 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7amdoun

Hey guys, while playing with this phone today I made a terrible discovery.

The kernel version is 2.6.32 which is the Android 2.2 Froyo kernel.

Gingerbread is supposed to include kernel version 2.6.35

Can someone please confirm my finding so that we can contact Motorola and demand that they provide an updated kernel.

As for those asking about ICS:
The only reason Motorola (and others) won't provide updates is for financial and business reasons. Android is Open Source and can be adapted to run on a wide range hardware. Many phones with even lower specs than ours have ICS running almost perfectly.

Yeah our phone runs on the 2.6.32.9 kernel ... but isn't that the same kernel as the Galaxy Ace stock kernel ?

I highly doubt Motorola will release an updated kernel ... they have almost no support for this pohne its very sad. Is it possible to use the custom Galaxy Ace kernels?

Last edited by sid5291; 22nd February 2012 at 05:06 PM.
22nd February 2012, 05:37 PM   |  #115  
Flag Cairo

525 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by sid5291

Yeah our phone runs on the 2.6.32.9 kernel ... but isn't that the same kernel as the Galaxy Ace stock kernel ?

I highly doubt Motorola will release an updated kernel ... they have almost no support for this pohne its very sad. Is it possible to use the custom Galaxy Ace kernels?

The Galaxy Ace originally came with Android 2.2 with kernel 2.6.32 then Samsung officially released the Android 2.3 update with kernel 2.6.35.

We can't use the galaxy ace kernel because our phone has a locked boot loader that requires the kernel to be signed by Motorola.

Yes, I don't think Motorola will release any more updates for this phone. I'll contact them anyway, and demand an update for this phone.

The reason I wanted the newer gingerbread kernel is to update the graphics drivers which are reported to provide up to 50% performance boost. Graphics on this phone tend to be sluggish sometimes.

The only hope we have now is Cyanogen 9.

Edit: After some reading, I found out that we're not the only ones having this issue. Many other Motorola phones (such as Droid X2) are stuck with Froyo kernel. Thanks a lot moto
Last edited by Dr. Hurt; 22nd February 2012 at 05:54 PM.
22nd February 2012, 06:11 PM   |  #116  
Flag Raleigh, NC

109 posts
More
Quote:

The Galaxy Ace originally came with Android 2.2 with kernel 2.6.32 then Samsung officially released the Android 2.3 update with kernel 2.6.35.

We can't use the galaxy ace kernel because our phone has a locked boot loader that requires the kernel to be signed by Motorola.

Yes, I don't think Motorola will release any more updates for this phone. I'll contact them anyway, and demand an update for this phone.

The reason I wanted the newer gingerbread kernel is to update the graphics drivers which are reported to provide up to 50% performance boost. Graphics on this phone tend to be sluggish sometimes.

The only hope we have now is Cyanogen 9.

Edit: After some reading, I found out that we're not the only ones having this issue. Many other Motorola phones (such as Droid X2) are stuck with Froyo kernel. Thanks a lot moto

It is really sad ... but the graphics seems fine I've been able to play NOVA 2, HAWX, Battle Heart and SummitX with little or no lag on my phone.

But in general the phone could use a big boost in performance seeing the kind of perfomance the the galaxy ace gets with the same or worse hardware in comparison with us its disappointing...!
Please do tell us if motorola reply to your request?
Thanks.

22nd February 2012, 06:24 PM   |  #117  
Flag Cairo

525 posts
More
Talking
GOOD NEWS, The The Fire XT532 (exact hardware but dual sim) has android 2.3.7 with kernel 2.6.35.11

That means we can use its kernel without any risk of messing up or bricking the phone.

I'll try to find an XT532 owner and ask him/her for the kernel. Or maybe in a few months, when this phone becomes more popular, we'll be able to get ROM dumps and get the kernel ourselves.

Bye for now. Got tons of studying to do (being I'm a med student).
I'll be back in a few days
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dr. Hurt For This Useful Post: [ View ]
22nd February 2012, 06:34 PM   |  #118  
Flag Raleigh, NC

109 posts
More
Quote:

GOOD NEWS, The The Fire XT532 (exact hardware but dual sim) has android 2.3.7 with kernel 2.6.35.11

That means we can use its kernel without any risk of messing up or bricking the phone.

I'll try to find an XT532 owner and ask him/her for the kernel. Or maybe in a few months, when this phone becomes more popular, we'll be able to get ROM dumps and get the kernel ourselves.

Bye for now. Got tons of studying to do (being I'm a med student).
I'll be back in a few days

Awesome !! Thanks for the info !

Looks promising !!

All the best with your studies .. and by the way could you maybe tell me where you learnt how to do this stuff ( like making ROMs and Flashing kernels ? ) I would love to learn this stuff cause i just feel stupid .. lol :P !

Anyways c ya later then..
23rd February 2012, 05:25 AM   |  #119  
Thanks Meter: 185

254 posts
Hi, I own this phone (xt531) since two weeks ago I also want to root and start hacking but I have some questions:

- Is there any way to get a copy of my carrier´s SBF? I just want a backup in case of problems
- In case of no SBF, has anyone tried to use fastboot and flash romdump images to restore? I have many doubts about this because if the bootloader is locked then you cant use a generic fastboot right? You have to use Motorola fastboot like in the Atrix or RAZR

thanks in avance
23rd February 2012, 02:32 PM   |  #120  
Flag Raleigh, NC

109 posts
More
http://en.sourceforge.jp/projects/sfnet_xt530.motorola/ << I found this link it has all the tgz files for the XT530 ... can we flash these using RSD lite from here >> http://and-developers.com/tools:rsd_lite

( Sorry if my question sounds stupid i am n00b to all things android right now ..)

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
fire, fire xt, motorola, spice xt, xt-530, xt530, xt531
Previous Thread Next Thread