[HOWTO]Restore to Stock/Recover from a Bad Flash

Search This thread

KonstantinKeller

Aug 22, 2011
Flowery Branch
THIS IS FOR SGH-T989 (T-MOBILE) ONLY!

This will restore to T-Mobile 2.3.6 ULKL1.

This guide is for those who screwed up a flash, need to return their phone, are selling their phone, or just want that stock new phone feeling again.

Prerequisites:
1) ODIN
2) USB Drivers

If you need your data backed up first, backup personal data with Kies and Application Data with Titanium Backup.

Steps:
1) Download THIS file and extract it. (Password is 'sampro.pl') --Source HERE.
2) Power off your phone and remove the battery. Re-insert the battery after a few seconds.
3) Plug the USB cable into your computer, without plugging it into your phone.
4) Hold VOL UP + VOL DOWN while plugging in the USB cable to your phone. Stop holding with 'Warning' appears.
5) Press Volume UP and start ODIN (Run as Admin on Vista and 7, just to be safe)
6) Click PDA and locate the MD5 file extracted earlier.
7) Press 'Start' and be patient. It will take a few minutes because it is a large file.
8) Unplug your phone after it has completed and rebooted twice.

Now everything is 100% stock! Kernel, System, Bootloader, and Modem are stock.

If you're going to sell the phone, or just return it, I advise you to do the following:
1) Go to Settings > Privacy > Factory Data Reset
2) Check Format USB Storage
3) Press 'Reset Phone'
4) Press 'Erase Everything'
This will erase EVERYTHING on your phone including your SD Card (External + Internal)

If you happen to have a bootloop, perform the following:
1) Boot into recovery (Power on phone while holding VOL UP and VOL DOWN)
2) Wipe Data, Cache, and Dalvik
3) Reboot System

If this helped you save your phone, please press 'Thanks'
And if you want to, DONATE (You aren't required to, it's just HIGHLY appreciated.)

Last edited:

Teo032

Apr 6, 2011
California
Basically hold + and - and plug in the microUSB cable to get into ODIN mode

then select PDA and choose the STOCK ROM. Flash it.

THIS IS FOR 2.3.6 t-mobile KL1 baseband

for other stock ROMS 2.3.5 KID (t-mobile) and 2.3.5 KJ3 (Telus) please go to the bottom of this OP to DL them http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1324517

Last edited:

Shawnkanan

Dec 11, 2010
Bricked my phone

I tried this downloaded used pda slot and completly bricked my phone. wont turn on and when plugged in it reads a a usb Qsub_DLOAD

nandixon

Jan 3, 2012
I tried this downloaded used pda slot and completly bricked my phone. wont turn on and when plugged in it reads a a usb Qsub_DLOAD

The steps posted by the OP look reasonable to me. I did basically* the same thing several weeks ago using the same .rar file and it worked fine. Maybe you had a bad download . . . is the file size 324,600,505 bytes? (*My phone doesn't require pulling the battery, and I always plug the USB cable into the phone last to get into download mode.)

Sent from my SGH-T989 using XDA App

Last edited:

Teo032

Apr 6, 2011
California

Are you a t989 user? I don't see any reason for it to brick your phone if you have a successfully downloaded file and that it flashed successfully

Sent from my SGH-T989 using xda premium

thejron

Jan 20, 2010
Enough power to flash? I've never heard of Odin system requirements.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using XDA App

wj04

Jul 8, 2009
Odin keeps crashing while flashing the cache (cache.img.ext4). I am using Odin3 v1.70
I have the auto reboot and F. reset time checked. Any ideas?

Shawnkanan

Dec 11, 2010
Bricked my phone

Again I have flashed phones with ODIN ever since the Vibrant and never had an issue I downloaded the full file had plenty of power and followed the instructions and it failed multiple times then when I pulled the battery to see if it would boot it was done from then on out no Download mode, no recovery the phone does nothing! I plug it in and it shows in Device manager QHSUB_DLOAD and from what I hear its toast. So I wish everyone luck who tries this.

Teo032

Apr 6, 2011
California
Again I have flashed phones with ODIN ever since the Vibrant and never had an issue I downloaded the full file had plenty of power and followed the instructions and it failed multiple times then when I pulled the battery to see if it would boot it was done from then on out no Download mode, no recovery the phone does nothing! I plug it in and it shows in Device manager QHSUB_DLOAD and from what I hear its toast. So I wish everyone luck who tries this.

that really sucks, you have the t989 right? are you sure the file downloaded completely? I was going to ask you to check the md5 for the file.. but there isn't one listed. The OP needs to be updated.

oblib__

Aug 26, 2009
Rockies
I'll add my vote of caution to restoring stock with ODIN and the SGH-T989, as I bricked mine as well. Luckily we're all still under warranty and they just replaced the main board and sent it back.

I think in my case it failed because with the Vibrant (I've flashed my Vibrant lots and lots) you always used a .pit file, and I didn't see a .pit file with the T989 stock reload I used (not this OP's file). So I hunted one down, and apparently I shouldn't have. Or maybe it just wasn't meant to be.

In any case be very careful!

KonstantinKeller

Aug 22, 2011
Flowery Branch
Are you sure you followed this guide correctly? I did this EXACT same procedure a few days ago and it worked perfectly. Same file and everything. And the power notice is so your computer doesn't goto sleep or shut down while flashing.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    THIS IS FOR SGH-T989 (T-MOBILE) ONLY!

This will restore to T-Mobile 2.3.6 ULKL1.

This guide is for those who screwed up a flash, need to return their phone, are selling their phone, or just want that stock new phone feeling again.

Prerequisites:
    1) ODIN
    2) USB Drivers

If you need your data backed up first, backup personal data with Kies and Application Data with Titanium Backup.

Steps:
    1) Download THIS file and extract it. (Password is 'sampro.pl') --Source HERE.
    2) Power off your phone and remove the battery. Re-insert the battery after a few seconds.
    3) Plug the USB cable into your computer, without plugging it into your phone.
    4) Hold VOL UP + VOL DOWN while plugging in the USB cable to your phone. Stop holding with 'Warning' appears.
    5) Press Volume UP and start ODIN (Run as Admin on Vista and 7, just to be safe)
    6) Click PDA and locate the MD5 file extracted earlier.
    7) Press 'Start' and be patient. It will take a few minutes because it is a large file.
    8) Unplug your phone after it has completed and rebooted twice.

Now everything is 100% stock! Kernel, System, Bootloader, and Modem are stock.

If you're going to sell the phone, or just return it, I advise you to do the following:
    1) Go to Settings > Privacy > Factory Data Reset
    2) Check Format USB Storage
    3) Press 'Reset Phone'
    4) Press 'Erase Everything'
    This will erase EVERYTHING on your phone including your SD Card (External + Internal)

If you happen to have a bootloop, perform the following:
    1) Boot into recovery (Power on phone while holding VOL UP and VOL DOWN)
    2) Wipe Data, Cache, and Dalvik
    3) Reboot System

If this helped you save your phone, please press 'Thanks'
    And if you want to, DONATE (You aren't required to, it's just HIGHLY appreciated.)
    as far as I remember t989 should work for t989d for they are the same phone
    But I just tried one and it got stuck on samsung logo after the flash
    I dont know why all downloads from sammobile are dropping :S

These are the ones I have.
    Sorry for the delay.

Telus:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/60269842/t989/T989DTLUMC4_T989DOYBMC4_TLS.zip

T-mobile:
    https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/60269842/t989/SGH-T989_UVLE1_ICS-403.zip
    https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/60269842/t989/T989UVMC6_T989TMBMC6_TMB.zip
    I forgot to post My deepest appreciation for your compilation. I literally brought my phone back from the dead following your recipe. It took me literally hours and I had to redo it more than once (because of user error) but IT WORKED. Thank You, Thank You, Thank You.

No problem :) I love to see replies like this. lol
    Got it done phone going back to asurion thanks for this useful thread
    I was trying to go back to stock with this using odin1.7. I extracted the file. selected the file for PDA. It took a while and I let it go. In the end, it said FAIL! Unfortunately, I unplgged the phone and restarted it. Now, every time I try to get into download mode again, it said firmware upgrade encounter an issue. Can someone help? Thanks!!

if it fails just run again it will pass it took me the third try and it passed coming from ics 4.0.4 ..all my volumes on phone stopped working last night so i got a replacement coming tomorrow .....

gg on this it works im completely stock and hating every f@cking moment lol ....