5,604,122 Members 48,956 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[PORT] Ubuntu 11.10 Native (Alpha 0.0.4)

Tip us?

BodenM
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 137

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by JesusFreak316 View Post
The dropbox account that hosts the files that the script downloads has exceeded its bandwidth, so the script is broken for now. We're trying to get a new file server. Try following the steps I posted for newellj79 in the past page or so, specifically http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...&postcount=320.
Since the portal post went up, it caused me to exceed my DropBox bandwidth, so you can't download the rootfs right now. Maybe we can find someone generous enough to let us use their FTP server while we figure out a solution.

z3no
Old
Thanks Meter 5
Guys sorry, I would be glad to offer you some ftp space, but with all these install scripts and the "doesn work, tried it 10 times" there is definitely too much traffic!

There is a really simple way to install this DEVELOPER VERSION(!) on your device (5 commands via terminal or novaterm) and even if you mess something up, you can have the rootfs zip on your internal storage and you dont need to reload it!

If anyone rewrites his/her script to use previously downloaded files which were stored on media/internals, traffic will be reduced to a minimum. Also I think a minimum knowledge of linux and webos/device architecture should be required if you want to install ubuntu.

I would prefere to offer two scripts:

one which is only for partition resizing (after the resize procedure I advice to restart the device) and the other one extracts the previously loaded and stored tar files. A introduction should look like this:

1. Download these files to your internal storage
2. run this script if you havent resized your partition already (reboot req. afterwards)
3. run this script to extract the files stored on media/internal and to install ubuntu.
4. boot ubuntu (passwd ubuntu), run sudo depmod -a in terminal blabla

best, z3no

P.S.: back to developing, I observed a really high cpu usage (both cores about 95%), but cant detect a process that causes this, any ideas?

newellj79
Old
Thanks Meter 229
How can i view what files are in my boot partition?

BodenM
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 137

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
How can i view what files are in my boot partition?
when /boot is mounted, run this in terminal or novaterm:
Code:
ls /boot

-- Sent from my HP TouchPad using Communities

lovleshgarg
Old
Thanks Meter 61
Can I make EXT partitions from wTerm or Xecutah on my TouchPad also? Or it can only be done using novaterm on computer?
Actually, I will not have access to any PC or Laptop today, that's why asking.

newellj79
Old
Thanks Meter 229
Quote:
Originally Posted by BodenM View Post
when /boot is mounted, run this in terminal or novaterm:
Code:
ls /boot

-- Sent from my HP TouchPad using Communities

Thank you much. I it figured out. I had two recoveries installed, CWM and TWRP. Removing TWRP freed up enough room to have cm9, webos, and ubuntu kernels all istalled at once. I'm good to go. Thanks again everyone for there help.

robreefer
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Hmmm.... I'm still getting the Kernel Panic, I'm going to WebOS doctor the TP and try again from scratch with just WebOS installed.

z3no
Old
Thanks Meter 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovleshgarg View Post
Can I make EXT partitions from wTerm or Xecutah on my TouchPad also? Or it can only be done using novaterm on computer?
Actually, I will not have access to any PC or Laptop today, that's why asking.
normally, you can use any terminal you want to create the partitions

---------- Post added at 06:07 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:01 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by robreefer View Post
Hmmm.... I'm still getting the Kernel Panic, I'm going to WebOS doctor the TP and try again from scratch with just WebOS installed.
If you have problems with the doctoring (normally the kernel panics because of wrong partition sizes), try doctoring with webOS 3.0.0 first or use the instructions here to fully recreate the partition system and then doctoring with webOS 3.0.0 and after that with 3.0.x

robreefer
Old
(Last edited by robreefer; 24th February 2012 at 07:42 PM.)
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by z3no View Post
normally, you can use any terminal you want to create the partitions

---------- Post added at 06:07 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:01 PM ----------

If you have problems with the doctoring (normally the kernel panics because of wrong partition sizes), try doctoring with webOS 3.0.0 first or use the instructions here to fully recreate the partition system and then doctoring with webOS 3.0.0 and after that with 3.0.x
I was having an issue, and 3.0.0 didn't even work. I had to manually delete and remake all the partitions from scratch. But thankfully, after all is said and done, I am back to developer mode WebOs only.

Before I did the doctor, I tried to reboot into ubuntu. I noticed before the kernel panic, I was getting alot of errors before that (wich I didn't notice before). All "not enough space". I wonder if the initial install didn't create the partitions properly?

Is there a log (if the install doesn't work properly) that will tell you where it farked up?

OK, tried it again, and the problem is with the initial install. It doesn't seem to be repartitioning the drive properly. On the initial install, when it asks you "did the line above give you a mount/unmount error, press 1 for yes 0 for no". I press no for no error (cause it doesn't say there is a mounting error). Then it says size of partition and hangs. If I hit enter it gives me some unknown command error.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	186.5 KB
ID:	918103  

JesusFreak316
Old
(Last edited by JesusFreak316; 24th February 2012 at 07:56 PM.)
Thanks Meter 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by z3no View Post
Guys sorry, I would be glad to offer you some ftp space, but with all these install scripts and the "doesn work, tried it 10 times" there is definitely too much traffic!

There is a really simple way to install this DEVELOPER VERSION(!) on your device (5 commands via terminal or novaterm) and even if you mess something up, you can have the rootfs zip on your internal storage and you dont need to reload it!

If anyone rewrites his/her script to use previously downloaded files which were stored on media/internals, traffic will be reduced to a minimum. Also I think a minimum knowledge of linux and webos/device architecture should be required if you want to install ubuntu.

I would prefere to offer two scripts:

one which is only for partition resizing (after the resize procedure I advice to restart the device) and the other one extracts the previously loaded and stored tar files. A introduction should look like this:

1. Download these files to your internal storage
2. run this script if you havent resized your partition already (reboot req. afterwards)
3. run this script to extract the files stored on media/internal and to install ubuntu.
4. boot ubuntu (passwd ubuntu), run sudo depmod -a in terminal blabla

best, z3no

P.S.: back to developing, I observed a really high cpu usage (both cores about 95%), but cant detect a process that causes this, any ideas?
I was thinking something similar; I made a script like that that a couple people have used temporarily while the main script is broken but it might be good to do that anyways. It wouldn't be quite as foolproof but would save a ton of bandwidth. Maybe keep the download files in the initial install script but have the reinstall script use local files if the initial download fails. Anyways, here's the script: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/11867712/4GBUbuntuUpgrade.sh This only formats ubuntu (not partitions), mounts it to /tmp/linux, and extracts the files from /media/internal to the /tmp/linux mount point.

---------- Post added at 02:40 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:32 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by robreefer View Post
I was having an issue, and 3.0.0 didn't even work. I had to manually delete and remake all the partitions from scratch. But thankfully, after all is said and done, I am back to developer mode WebOs only.

Before I did the doctor, I tried to reboot into ubuntu. I noticed before the kernel panic, I was getting alot of errors before that (wich I didn't notice before). All "not enough space". I wonder if the initial install didn't create the partitions properly?

Is there a log (if the install doesn't work properly) that will tell you where it farked up?

OK, tried it again, and the problem is with the initial install. It doesn't seem to be repartitioning the drive properly. On the initial install, when it asks you "did the line above give you a mount/unmount error, press 1 for yes 0 for no". I press no for no error (cause it doesn't say there is a mounting error). Then it says size of partition and hangs. If I hit enter it gives me some unknown command error.
Odd, those commands haven't changed for weeks and have worked for quite a few people.

What was the last line of text it showed? It should be one of the lines in quotes after an echo command in this block of code: but instead of the $variables it should have numbers.
Code:
PARTITION=4096
echo "Your chosen partition is ${PARTITION}MB."
CURRENTSIZE=$(lvm.static lvdisplay -c store/media | awk -F: '{print $7/2048}')
echo "Your current media partition is ${CURRENTSIZE}MB."
NEWSIZE=$(($CURRENTSIZE - $PARTITION))
echo "Your new partition layout will include a ${PARTITION}MB ext3 partition and a ${NEWSIZE}MB media partition. As this installs a 4GB partition for Ubuntu, your new media partition should be 4GB less than it originally was. Does this seem correct? If so, type 1, if not, type 0."
read OK
if [ $OK ==  1 ];
then echo "Ok, continuing."
else echo "Goodbye."
exit
fi
echo "Now resizing your media partition and creating the ext3 partition for Ubuntu."
Huh, after trying those myself I'm getting syntax errors. Someone just got this successfully installed yesterday though. Huh. Try running this script: it doesn't do anything just prints some relevant information. http://dl.dropbox.com/u/11867712/Test.sh
Device history:
Bunch of dumbphones
Samsung SCH-I760
HTC Fuze (Raph 110) O2 Wireless prepaid to avoid paying for data
HTC HD2 Running Americanandroid and YukiXDA WP7
HP Touchpad 32GB (Got it for $150 )

My projects:
Rockbox VGA port