Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,733,372 Members 39,650 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Raplacing the digitizer

Tip us?

CraiGDaniel
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Default Raplacing the digitizer

Ok so i have a cracked digitizer...

I am going to replace it myself, however this phone is obviously not a straight forward repair.

Anyone have any personal experience replacing the digitizer on this phone? I have seen the youtube videos and read the xda.cn chinese breakdown, just looking for some personal input on the process if someone has one.

Also what will i need to rebuilt it? Do i need double sided tape etc. Thanks

CraiGDaniel
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
80 views and no ones ever had experience with this?

StankPie
Old
(Last edited by StankPie; 23rd February 2012 at 08:40 AM.)
Thanks Meter 1
i replaced it on 2 hd7 phones.

its a real pain to get it off because the glue tape they use goes all the way around, and its strong stuff.

you need to take apart the entire phone to get to the ribbon cable where the digitizer plugs in, so just look for some youtube videos of a tear down and watch carefully.

honestly the hardest part for me was getting the screen and digitizer clean of fingerprints and tiny broken glass pieces without messing up the screen, while keeping the double sided tape i put on in place and intact.

just take your time and everything will go smoothly.

-edit- yes you will need some double sided tape because when you take the digitizer off the sticky layer of the tape goes with it, the rest of the tape stays on the screen and is impossible to get off without damaging your screen so you have to apply new tape over it.

i used some thin scotch brand double sided tape and i cut it into long narrow strips with a razor using my old digitizer as a cutting board, the same width as the original tape.

CraiGDaniel
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Hi mate appreciate the advice in my thread on the HD7 replacement.

I managed to get the digitizer out, however on replacing the new one i have a problem..

You know the old digitizer has three plastic prongs, on the buttons at the bottom, search etc.

Am i rigth in saying they need to be transferred to the new digitizer? As i can't see how they fit on the LCD when stuck to the digitizer? It raises the digitizer a little, unless they hand off the edge of the lcd?

Thanks

StevetotheH
Old
Thanks Meter 803

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by CraiGDaniel View Post
Hi mate appreciate the advice in my thread on the HD7 replacement.

I managed to get the digitizer out, however on replacing the new one i have a problem..

You know the old digitizer has three plastic prongs, on the buttons at the bottom, search etc.

Am i rigth in saying they need to be transferred to the new digitizer? As i can't see how they fit on the LCD when stuck to the digitizer? It raises the digitizer a little, unless they hand off the edge of the lcd?

Thanks
Those are nothing more than spacers. I have replaced two digitizers without them. As long as you get some good 3M double sided in that area there is no problems.

kawgirlval69
Old
(Last edited by kawgirlval69; 17th March 2012 at 06:27 AM.)
Thanks Meter 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by StevetotheH View Post
Those are nothing more than spacers. I have replaced two digitizers without them. As long as you get some good 3M double sided in that area there is no problems.
um no they arent spacers...they are what directs the light to the 3 bottom keys. they are there for a reason so i recommend using them... ... now you are spot on with the 3m tape as it is the tape needed to do this whole job properly... the scotch crap is not made for this and WILL NOT HOLD UP NOR SEAL PROPERLY>>>

and for the person who said to put the tape over the old.... not a good idea... it can be removed and new should be used to replace the old..

sorry but i do this daily for a living so i do have a clue about this... just trying to help make it a successful repair and not one that ends up in my shop after the home repair failed and it damaged more than just the screen.....