ZArchive Manages Your File Archives

Today smartphones are quite powerful devices that can handle multiple processes at once. In fact, some of … more

Regain Double Tap to Wake Functionality on the Nexus 6

A few months ago, Google announced its newest flagship device, the Nexus 6, alongside … more

Clean Your Recent Apps – XDA Xposed Tuesday

In this day and age, you have quite a few apps installed and running on your Android … more

Android Studio Reaches Release Candidate Status

Android app developers have a few options when comes to Android IDEs. One of the most … more

Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

[Q] Using Tablet as a Multi-User/Family Platform

OP Zaphod-Beeblebrox

6th December 2010, 06:52 PM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Flag Virginia
Thanks Meter: 205

780 posts
More
I bought a G-Tab for my son (7) and myself for Christmas. We have three other android devices in the home (2 Droid2's and my DroidX). My son also has a Droid Eris we set up for him with WiFI (no service) to play around with, etc.

The Tablet is more of a 'Want' for me, and I keep struggling with just exactly what do I want it to be besides a 10 inch Angry Birds device.

The plan is that the Tablet is just kind of 'around' the living room, etc. Would be nice if each family member could sync their g-mail/e-mail/facebook, etc. but have each persons account 'segregated'.
I noticed that TnT would allow setting up of different family accounts, but I quickly removed TnT in favor of TnT lite.
Does anyone know of any strategies for allowing 'login' style access to certain accounts, etc? I don't think android is set up for this natively so I may be trying to put a square peg into a round hole.
11th December 2010, 04:53 PM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 0

15 posts
I am looking for the same functionality, I did not want any user to pick it up and access my emails, etc.
27th January 2011, 08:50 PM   |  #3  
Thanks Meter: 12

144 posts
More
Did anything like this ever come around?
28th January 2011, 02:43 AM   |  #4  
Thanks Meter: 14

206 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaphod-Beeblebrox

The Tablet is more of a 'Want' for me, and I keep struggling with just exactly what do I want it to be besides a 10 inch Angry Birds device.

What??!?!? That's not enough for you?

Sent from my G-Tablet running Vega-Nb5.1
28th January 2011, 12:45 PM   |  #5  
OP Senior Member
Flag Virginia
Thanks Meter: 205

780 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by gksmith

What??!?!? That's not enough for you?

Sent from my G-Tablet running Vega-Nb5.1

Well, it was for a while. It's now a 10-inch Can-knockdown device

I've also been working on integrating into my truck as a GPS solution.

But, Back on topic... The way that Android handles accounts makes me believe the goal of this thread is not likely.
28th January 2011, 01:44 PM   |  #6  
Flag La Crosse, WI
Thanks Meter: 4

32 posts
You can set up separate family accounts on TnT Lite. Just go to Settings/Family accounts/Add family member.
28th January 2011, 01:46 PM   |  #7  
Thanks Meter: 14

206 posts
Good luck with the integration. I did the same thing 2 years back with a Garmin 7500. That was all install and video.

As far as the multi-user part goes, maybe a different Linux.

Sent from my GTablet using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to gksmith For This Useful Post: [ View ]
28th January 2011, 01:58 PM   |  #8  
Thanks Meter: 34

91 posts
The OP's tablet use case mimics mine exactly and I'm so far disappointed that no one has really made multiple user profiles a core part of the tablet experience to date.

This was my knock on the Ipad from day one. I am more lenient now with the Android devices because we are running a phone OS on a tablet against Google's wishes. But IMO when Apple introduced a dedicated tablet the abilitly to have multiple user logins would've been a must have if I was going justify their high price.

I haven't even checked to see if Google is addressing this in Honeycomb but it would give them a huge leg up. I would only be willing to pay > $400 for a tablet device if it could do what my PC does, aka serve multiple users in my house with unique profiles/apps/accounts etc.

How is this feature in TNT? I use Vegan right now.

Sean
28th January 2011, 02:27 PM   |  #9  
Thanks Meter: 236

1,070 posts
More
Despite what apple would want you to believe, the ipad is just a big ipod touch. Same with google, android is still a phone os that stubborn manufacturers shoved onto their tablets despite their objections. A multiple account login screen would be a nice feature on honeycomb, hopefully they can include it.

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using XDA App
1st March 2012, 04:34 PM   |  #10  
Flag Bangalore
Thanks Meter: 406

1,315 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ketanmatrix

There is a solution for multi user profiles on android! its on my blog [I'm not advertising]

That's a nice trick. The SwitchMe app also works similarly, I think.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread