5,599,478 Members 39,870 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

This isn't a Galaxy SII

Tip us?
 
AdamOutler
Old
#1  
AdamOutler's Avatar
Recognized Developer - OP
Thanks Meter 9429
Posts: 5,124
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Louisiana

 
DONATE TO ME
Unhappy This isn't a Galaxy SII

So I won the XDA phone of the year contest. I showed my work on the Galaxy S 2 and I was voted to win a AT&T Galaxy S 2 http://www.xda-developers.com/announ...test-vote-now/

I am typing this on a Focus S i received from someone at Samsung. This is not what I was expecting. My initial impressions:

1. Laggy. When loading a page, the device tends to lock up and words become illegible.
2. No status indicators when browsing the internet.. I want to see time and signal strength when I post a new thread.
3. Copy and paste should not be the default when you select a cursor position
4. Autocorrect seems to be pretty darn good.
5. Its pretty.

I really hope I'm not stuck working with this closed source device. Everything about it is closed source, down to the Qualcomm processor. As a hobbiest, this device isn't valuable. It is a finished product without the ability to be modified or changed in the true xda hardware/kernel hacking manner.


I'm sorry if I offend anyone. This is not my intent. This device is definitely not for me.
Flash with Odin on Windows, Linux and Mac. Use JOdin3, Available in a web browser or offline
Check out my developer pages. Add me to your circles on Google Plus.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AdamOutler For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
drtolson
Old
#2  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 2
Posts: 553
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Victoria, B.C.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamOutler View Post
So I won the XDA phone of the year contest. I showed my work on the Galaxy S 2 and I was voted to win a AT&T Galaxy S 2 http://www.xda-developers.com/announ...test-vote-now/

I am typing this on a Focus S i received from someone at Samsung. This is not what I was expecting. My initial impressions:

1. Laggy. When loading a page, the device tends to lock up and words become illegible.
2. No status indicators when browsing the internet.. I want to see time and signal strength when I post a new thread.
3. Copy and paste should not be the default when you select a cursor position
4. Autocorrect seems to be pretty darn good.
5. Its pretty.

I really hope I'm not stuck working with this closed source device. Everything about it is closed source, down to the Qualcomm processor. As a hobbiest, this device isn't valuable. It is a finished product without the ability to be modified or changed in the true xda hardware/kernel hacking manner.


I'm sorry if I offend anyone. This is not my intent. This device is definitely not for me.
So, I understand that isn't what you were looking for, and yes, it's not 'open source' like the Android phones.

But I'm wondering why you thought you should post it here, rather than complain directly to the XDA moderators and/or Samsung. If you were voted a Galaxy S II, and you didn't receive it, I would think the appropriate place to complain would be the people who offered the content -- not rag on the unit in the user support forum of those of us who enjoy the WP7 O/S and one of the speediest and best looking units out there.
/drt
___________________
Device: HTC 8X
OS: 8.0.10211.204
 
AdamOutler
Old
#3  
AdamOutler's Avatar
Recognized Developer - OP
Thanks Meter 9429
Posts: 5,124
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Louisiana

 
DONATE TO ME
I already did. I figured someone may benefeit from my initial impression of the device. Also, it's not speedy. My single core Infuse4g responds better and has more features.

If samsung lets me keep this device, I'll tear it up and make a how-to on the serial administration console.
Flash with Odin on Windows, Linux and Mac. Use JOdin3, Available in a web browser or offline
Check out my developer pages. Add me to your circles on Google Plus.
The Following User Says Thank You to AdamOutler For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
exynos5250x
Old
#4  
Member
Thanks Meter 20
Posts: 88
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Connecticut
Damn the i777 would really benefit from having u onboard =/, hope u can sort it out with samsung tho =]
 
Omxman
Old
#5  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 13
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Yanji
Hi, I am looking for a Samsung Focus S. But it wouldn't be sold in China. If you don't like it. I want to buy yours. Contact to me via omxman@msn.com if you would. By the way, is is unlocked? I will use China Mobile SIM card.
 
drtolson
Old
#6  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 2
Posts: 553
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Victoria, B.C.
Don't know if eBay is available in China, but that might be the best place to look.
/drt
___________________
Device: HTC 8X
OS: 8.0.10211.204
 
geoken
Old
#7  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 7
Posts: 109
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: GTA
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamOutler View Post
I already did. I figured someone may benefeit from my initial impression of the device. Also, it's not speedy. My single core Infuse4g responds better and has more features.
Curious about what exactly you found not speedy? After going from a Samsung Focus > Galaxy Nexus (for 2 weeks because I couldn't handle all the lag) > back to a Lumia 710 I couldn't find a single aspect of Android that was less laggy than WP7. There are some things Android would do faster (browser page loads) but all in all it did everything with far more lag. Even the keyboard lagged severely compared to WP7.
 
alodar1
Old
(Last edited by alodar1; 4th March 2012 at 05:33 PM.)
#8  
alodar1's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 85
Posts: 1,345
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Auburn, WA
Quote:
Originally Posted by geoken View Post
Curious about what exactly you found not speedy? After going from a Samsung Focus > Galaxy Nexus (for 2 weeks because I couldn't handle all the lag) > back to a Lumia 710 I couldn't find a single aspect of Android that was less laggy than WP7. There are some things Android would do faster (browser page loads) but all in all it did everything with far more lag. Even the keyboard lagged severely compared to WP7.
I most certainly agree with you here. After the last 2 years with android, I replaced my bionic with the focus s yesterday. I bought a lumia 710 3 weeks ago to check out the 2nd gen devices, after coming back to my Dell Venue Pro. It was $20 USD, with no contract extension, so it was worth a risk. . Yes there are things android does better. But not alot. Wp7 is comparable in many ways...most of the ways I use a phone. Android and rooting and modding, in many ways reminds me of the old tv commercial for McDonald's chicken nuggets...parts is parts.

I will actually be moving to a lumia 900 when it arrives. I bought the Focus because its a 4.3 mango device and I had to leave the Bionic, immediately. It has been a pleasant surprise....no regrets.

Only problem so far...1 freeze when browsing while loading 30 apps with reinstaller.
Regards

@Alodar1
__________________________________
Current Devices:
Nokia Lumia 920 White/Red, Surface Pro 2, Samsung Galaxy Note 3


Device Graveyard:
Nokia 925, Nokia Lumia 900, HTX 8x, Motorola Xoom, Focus S, Lumia 710, Dell Venue Pro, HD7, Droid Bionic, T-MobileG2x, HTC Sensation, HD2, Nexus One, Cliq, MyTouch 3g, TP2, AT&T Pure, Xperia 1, AT&T Fuze, Touch Dual, Hermes

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes


XDA PORTAL POSTS

A More Competitive Spin on the Addictive 2048 Puzzle

You may recall that a few weeks ago, we talked about a rather interesting take on … more

Multiboot in Progress for the Sony Xperia Z1

As we’ve mentioned quite a few times in the past, multiboot is quite the interesting … more

Samsung EFS Tool Updated to V5, Brings Universal Device Support

You may recall that we’ve talked about XDA Recognized Contributor … more

Say Goodbye to Holo Blue Once and for All

When Google released Android 4.4 KitKat back in October of last year, they changed quite a bit … more