Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,768,042 Members 42,515 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[UTILITY] Battery calibration tools

Tip us?
 
trschober
Old
#2091  
Member
Thanks Meter 9
Posts: 44
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Santiago
Quote:
Originally Posted by boardlord View Post
I got my replacement battery, and this one gives normal data in the app fortunately. However there is something strange going on. As I burn the battery so that the learn cycle can begin, when the capacity falls to around 160 mAh, the current jumps to -2200 mA, and after that the capacity jumps up to 250 mAh. This repeats 3 times, and only after this will the battery go down to zero. After two calibration runs the age stays 100%.

However, it still discharges quicker than my 2-year-old orig Nexus battery... I need to wait a few charge cycles until I see a better performance that my old battery? Thanks
as per the first post, that is completely normal, the app will raise the capacity automatically:

c. if Capacity/mAh drops to near empty prior to 3201mV being reached, the app will automatically raise capacity by 200mAh so phone doesn't auto-shutdown prior to reaching 3201mV
The Following User Says Thank You to trschober For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
boardlord
Old
#2092  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 40
Posts: 214
Join Date: Apr 2006
*facepalm* thanks!

Now the only question is why does the new battery discharge faster than the old one? The calibration affirms that its new, since the age is 100%...
 
freddylam
Old
(Last edited by freddylam; 25th January 2012 at 02:47 PM.)
#2093  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 14
Posts: 118
Join Date: Feb 2008
I have problem with the capacity test.

Not original battery.
So at the start of the calibration, I set the full40 at 1650 (orginally 1452)
after finishing calibration the batt age was 94%, but the battery starts at 100%, dies at 0%, so I think it's calibrated.

Then I proceeded to capacity test and I noticed that the battery jumped from 72% directly to 100%.

At 100%
Capacity continue to go up with >300 current (See attached image)
It plateau at 1985mAh but didn't drop back to the set full40 (1650)


What actually going on?


Thanks!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2012-01-25-20-09-25.jpg
Views:	231
Size:	36.0 KB
ID:	871707   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2012-01-25-20-11-51.jpg
Views:	228
Size:	39.0 KB
ID:	871708   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2012-01-25-22-39-14 (1).jpg
Views:	220
Size:	37.8 KB
ID:	871872  
 
falconyx
Old
#2094  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 38
Posts: 236
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Sofia
Guys, I'm really sorry if this has been asked, but thread is really huge and I dont have that much time: when trying to drain my stock battery and waiting for learn mode to activate I always get my battery to 10-11% and then it jumps back to 17%. Now I read through guide quite a few times and realize that this is probably normal but I don't really know how to proceed...should I just keep waiting?

Also, what is the best way to drain battery so that I can quickly enough see that learn mode is achieved and immediately plug in charger? I figured maybe watching youtube in portrait view since then I can also see my battery %. Thanks for any tips!

P.S. I've set all values in the learn prep tab correctly, that I double checked!
 
hchao
Old
#2095  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter 3
Posts: 19
Join Date: Feb 2012
Default [Q] battery showing 1% but well above 3600mV

My Desire HD always shows battery to be well above 3600mV when the battery meter is at 1%..0%.

When fully charged, the battery is at 4211mV.

Is this normal?
I read from this thread and the instructions for the Battery calibration tool that the battery should go down to 3201mV to be at 0%. 3600mV to 3201mV is a quite wide range, so I'm wondering if a large portion of the battery capacity is wasted and not used.

I have tried various calibration methods, but it's still the same.
The "[UTILITY] Battery calibration tools" downloaded from Market does not work on my DHD. The tool is for batteries with the ds2784 chip, but my DHD is showing it has a ds2746 chip--from the driver directory.

I have tried to let the battery reach 0% and have a forced shutdown, and after that, I boot into recovery and let it stand for more than 10 minutes. And then after a reboot, the battery would be at below 3400mV. I could repeat the same procedure again, but I was afraid of deep discharging the battery to below 3201mV and damaging it.

Is there any way to calibrate the battery so that it's below 3300mV when the battery meter shows 1% (short of using the tool offered in this thread)?

Thanks.
 
theloginwithnoname
Old
#2096  
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 32
Posts: 593
Join Date: Mar 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by hchao View Post
[snip]
The "[UTILITY] Battery calibration tools" downloaded from Market does not work on my DHD. The tool is for batteries with the ds2784 chip, but my DHD is showing it has a ds2746 chip--from the driver directory.
I'd be amazed if there were vast differences between them - there's no reason why you couldn't work out the registers for your battery and add in the various functions (as we did) into the kernel code that return the values in those registers, which would make it compatible with (and therefore you could use) this tool.

What kernel are you running BTW?
Samsung Galaxy Note running OmniROM 4.4.x (one of the latest nightlies)
disclaimer: any info, code, or software I provide is used or installed at your own risk; I accept no responsibility for anything that may happen as a result of using them and, by temporarily or permanently doing so on your device, you are agreeing to these terms.
last updated: 21dec13
 
RogerPodacter
Old
#2097  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 396
Posts: 5,577
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by hchao View Post
My Desire HD always shows battery to be well above 3600mV when the battery meter is at 1%..0%.

When fully charged, the battery is at 4211mV.

Is this normal?
I read from this thread and the instructions for the Battery calibration tool that the battery should go down to 3201mV to be at 0%. 3600mV to 3201mV is a quite wide range, so I'm wondering if a large portion of the battery capacity is wasted and not used.

I have tried various calibration methods, but it's still the same.
The "[UTILITY] Battery calibration tools" downloaded from Market does not work on my DHD. The tool is for batteries with the ds2784 chip, but my DHD is showing it has a ds2746 chip--from the driver directory.

I have tried to let the battery reach 0% and have a forced shutdown, and after that, I boot into recovery and let it stand for more than 10 minutes. And then after a reboot, the battery would be at below 3400mV. I could repeat the same procedure again, but I was afraid of deep discharging the battery to below 3201mV and damaging it.

Is there any way to calibrate the battery so that it's below 3300mV when the battery meter shows 1% (short of using the tool offered in this thread)?

Thanks.
Yes i looked at drivers for the ds2746, but these tools wont work unless you modify the driver. Also look at the ds2746 data sheet cause its a little different than the ds2784. Would be a great project.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theloginwithnoname View Post
I'd be amazed if there were vast differences between them - there's no reason why you couldn't work out the registers for your battery and add in the various functions (as we did) into the kernel code that return the values in those registers, which would make it compatible with (and therefore you could use) this tool.

What kernel are you running BTW?
Howdy noname, yeah i'm trying to remember details but its been so long. Remember all those pdfs we found? Well some of those were for ds2746 showing all the registers and calculations. So its def possible. A DHD owner would need to edit their driver and test on their device. Then we could even update the app in this thread to work for both drivers. All the code is still up on github for anyone to use. This was a great project.
Past projects
Github
My N1 Battery Project

Phone: Nexus 5
ROM: stock rooted
Recovery: CWM Touch
 
hchao
Old
(Last edited by hchao; 29th February 2012 at 09:17 AM.)
#2098  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter 3
Posts: 19
Join Date: Feb 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by theloginwithnoname View Post
I'd be amazed if there were vast differences between them - there's no reason why you couldn't work out the registers for your battery and add in the various functions (as we did) into the kernel code that return the values in those registers, which would make it compatible with (and therefore you could use) this tool.

What kernel are you running BTW?
Hi, thanks for answering my quest. Very true that there should be no reason to not be able to make a tool work with the battery on DHD, given the info. and source code available here. But I'm no kernel hacker, and the last time I touched anything UNIX/Linux related was over 10 years ago. It's just natural laziness to ask first in the hope that something might be available already.

I'm running an older (3.4) version of Leedroid kernel, and I've switched between 3.4 and 4.0. 3.4 seems to be a little more power conserving: I normally get -1ma with standby in flight mode.

---------- Post added at 01:09 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:07 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerPodacter View Post
Yes i looked at drivers for the ds2746, but these tools wont work unless you modify the driver. Also look at the ds2746 data sheet cause its a little different than the ds2784. Would be a great project.

Howdy noname, yeah i'm trying to remember details but its been so long. Remember all those pdfs we found? Well some of those were for ds2746 showing all the registers and calculations. So its def possible. A DHD owner would need to edit their driver and test on their device. Then we could even update the app in this thread to work for both drivers. All the code is still up on github for anyone to use. This was a great project.
Thank you for answering my quest as well.

I don't know how to edit the driver. If you want to make this tool work with ds2746, and I can get help to jump-start the kernel and battery driver side, I'd be more than happy to work with you and test on DHD.

---------------------

Yesterday I experienced something very strange: my DHD was on standby for 7+hours, and the power stayed at 8% (3723mv) for that entire period. Normally with an already very power-saving Leedroid kernel, it would consume ~1% every two hours or so on standby. After I resumed the DHD and used it for over an hour, it finally shut down itself. But when I recharged it, it's almost full and reached 4209mv when the battery meter showed the battery was 80% full, and it then jumped to 100% (4211mv) in 10 minutes. This happened after I booted into recovery and let the device shut down by itself after it had automatically shut down on 0% battery on a regular run, and then I plug in the cable for a full charge. (I did check the battery, and it was about 3500mv when it rebooted from the discharge in recovery.) But when it's fully charged again, I didn't do a battery stats wipe. Looks like I managed to lower the lower boundary (used to be well above 3600mv at 0%), but the higher boundary/percentage got messed up (now 4209mv for 80%).

I don't know if it's just an aged battery or I really need a battery calibration tool like the one this thread offers. I'll do another full charge+battery stats wipe to see how it goes.
 
theloginwithnoname
Old
#2099  
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 32
Posts: 593
Join Date: Mar 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by hchao View Post
I'm no kernel hacker, and the last time I touched anything UNIX/Linux related was over 10 years ago.
I was exactly the same prior to doing this dev work! Jump on in, the water's lovely...
Samsung Galaxy Note running OmniROM 4.4.x (one of the latest nightlies)
disclaimer: any info, code, or software I provide is used or installed at your own risk; I accept no responsibility for anything that may happen as a result of using them and, by temporarily or permanently doing so on your device, you are agreeing to these terms.
last updated: 21dec13
 
chowlala
Old
#2100  
chowlala's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 73
Posts: 818
Join Date: Jul 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by theloginwithnoname View Post
I was exactly the same prior to doing this dev work! Jump on in, the water's lovely...
Neither am I. My only qualifications are being a pro gamer. Lol.

Tags
battery, calibration, capacity, learn
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes