Nova Launcher Update Brings Lollipop Functionality and Feel

One of the most popular third party launcher on Android, Nova Launcher, has just … more

Check Your I/O Usage with Iotop for Android

Ever needed to check the I/O usage of apps? If so, you probably tried searching for an iotop … more

T-Mobile HTC One M8 Gets Selfie-Friendly Android 4.4.4 OTA

The T-Mobie variant of HTC One (M8) just now received an over-the-air update … more

Android L is for Lockdown

Root is, without a doubt, the (un)holy grail of the Android world. Those wonderful permissions that allow you as … more

[Q] No Sound when calling certain numbers

OP mactherapy

24th December 2011, 09:43 PM   |  #11  
Thanks Meter: 0

19 posts
More
Thanks. This works on Droid 3 as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mactherapy

OK, I found the instructions on Droid Forums..

Pull up the dialer on your phone
Dial ##PROGRAM (##7764726)
Hit Send (the call button)
The password is 000000 (six zeros)
Select "Option 6 - Test Mode"
Hit "Next" until you come to the "Field test screen"
Under "Service Option" (top most), select EVRC-B
Hit "Back"
The phone should then reboot and you'll be all set.

29th December 2011, 01:00 AM   |  #12  
Thanks Meter: 22

123 posts
I have recently started having this exact same problem on telstra and it is driving me absolutely insane!

If anybody has ANY idea how to fix it on GSM/UTMS please let us all know.
31st December 2011, 07:32 AM   |  #13  
OP Member
Flag Perth.au
Thanks Meter: 2

34 posts
Ok, I am still working on this issue. I figure that if there is some way of changing the default UTMS codec to be the same as the GSM that might work. I am still trying to find the setting for this. However I was looking through the build.prop and I found some settings that seem to have an effect on other issues that I notice.

If you edit build.prop and change the line

ro.mot.phonemode.vzwglobalphone=1

to

ro.mot.phonemode.vzwglobalphone=0

then reboot the phone

The phone behaves slightly differently, the signal strength indicators are more accurate for a start.

Also from what I can see the following options are set to Verizon defaults and are only useful for people on the USA and so should be changed for overseas users..

ro.telephony.gsm-routes-us-smsc=0
ro.cdma.home.operator.isnam=0
ro.telephony.default_network= (set to 7 for global, change to 3 for Gsm/UMTS or 4 for CDMA only)
ro.cdma.nbpcd
keygaurd.no_require_sim=false
31st December 2011, 08:30 AM   |  #14  
Flag Rausu
Thanks Meter: 338

721 posts
More
These have been discussed a few times (especially .vzwglobalphone).

.gsm-routes-us-smsc is only applicable for Vodafone NL users; for all other carriers, SMS routing is done via local carrier's SMSC.
.default_network doesn't matter at all; it determines the mode the phone starts after a factory reset.
31st January 2012, 02:42 PM   |  #15  

21 posts
More
Hey there,
Through the search forum feature I found this issue,
My phone started to do it too, i'm using GSM/UMTS, I've been using the phone since last august and untill 2 weeks ago I didn't have problems.
What I tried was>
Change simcard,
change carrier,
I was on 2.3 I SBF back to 2.2
all without succes.

I only can call one mobile number properly all others are silen,t mobile and landlines alike.

Has there been more succes to get closer to resolve this? I don't mind helping finding it.
I love my D2G and i would get separation problems if I need to change phone
22nd February 2012, 09:19 AM   |  #16  

123 posts
In the end there was nothing anybody could do.

Fault finders at my network provider were just as stumped as me. No amount of reflashing would change anything, the handset was cursed.

I ended up having to give up on it.
27th February 2012, 01:23 PM   |  #17  
OP Member
Flag Perth.au

34 posts
The problem continues to get worse. More and more numbers get no audio either when they call me or when I call them. It only happens on the WCDMA 850mhz Telstra network.
The phone behaves normally on any other network or on the GSM Telstra network.

Re-flashing the phone with Miui or CM7 or CM9 or any of the official Motorola firmware's makes no difference. It is a truly crazy problem.

I am going to buy another android phone from Telstra and see if that behaves normally with my sim card. A non android phone I have behaves normally.

The behaviour is still the same, if I am on 3G WCDMA 850mhz on the Telstra network, someone calls me or I call them, it shows the call is connected, neither of us gets any audio, no hash, just silence. Rebooting the phone, changing the rom, factory resets, changing the Telstra SIM, nothing makes any difference. Switch to GSM only and suddenly the issue goes away.

My GF also has a D2G and has exactly the same issue and it is getting worse for her too.

I am guessing that the network is storing something like the phones IMEI on the WCDMA network and then forcing an incompatible audio codec. I don't know enough about the operation of the network to be able to prove anything.

I would like to find some way to force or change the audio codec that gets used when I make calls, is there any way to see what the phone is using for each call?
27th February 2012, 02:08 PM   |  #18  
OP Member
Flag Perth.au

34 posts
Ok, another update. I have been doing some more testing. I have discovered that DTMF tones go through to a non Android Telstra phone . Any key presses on the D2G can be heard as DTMF tones on the other phone. DTMF tones do not register on the D2G.

Between two D2G phones on the 850mhz wcdma network there is no audio in either direction and the DTMF tones do not come through either.

As usual switch either phone to GSM and everything works perfectly again.
28th February 2012, 12:51 AM   |  #19  

123 posts
Right, here we go.

I got a call back a couple of days ago from a tel$tra tech.

This was a long time coming and I have since stopped using the phone altogether anyway.

Basically what you need to do is call telstra tech support and go through the Indian rigmarole with technical support.

These guys will eventually escalate your problem and an Australian tech will call you back.

This person too will be completely useless but do not give up hope.

What you need to do is this: gather data.

Sit down with an internet clock in front of you and log a series of phone calls to numbers that you know the fault exists with and record the details of each failed, no-volume call and weather it was incoming or outgoing, duration of call, type of handsets connected etc etc.

Even though I have given up on the D2G on telstra and moved on, the tech assured me that he would have been able to help with this issue as he had seen it before.
12th April 2012, 09:36 AM   |  #20  

21 posts
More
Long time no post, but I found something (I think atleast)

The no sound error occurred only when I make call over the 3G UMTS netwerk. When I forced my Droid on GSM only it worked again.

Has anyone tried this too?

My carrier (KPN Netherlands) has introduced "HD Voice" for it's voice calls over the UMTS netwerk.
Might this be something? Because my Droid started to get the problem around the time the pilot of "HD Voice" was rolled out.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
d2g, no audio, no sound, telstra, utms
Previous Thread Next Thread