Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required
View Poll Results: Which Display do you have, Inferior or Superior? And which color?
Inferior Display Quality & Contrast (White Model) 76 7.99%
Inferior Display Quality & Contrast (Black Model) 249 26.18%
Inferior Display Quality & Contrast (Plum Model) 23 2.42%
Inferior Display Quality & Contrast (Red Model) 57 5.99%
Superior Display Quality & Contrast (White Model) 90 9.46%
Superior Display Quality & Contrast (Black Model) 356 37.43%
Superior Display Quality & Contrast (Plum Model) 26 2.73%
Superior Display Quality & Contrast (Red Model) 74 7.78%
Voters: 951. You may not vote on this poll

MT4G Bad Display vs Good Display, Which do you have? Don't wait get a good one today!

OP bobsbbq

31st January 2012, 05:17 AM   |  #1591  
Thanks Meter: 1

31 posts
Hi i have a bad screen...... My mytouch is about a year old and im pretty sure its out of waranty..(also water damaged).. is there anyway i can get a good screen mytouch for free?
25th February 2012, 02:32 AM   |  #1592  
Thanks Meter: 13

153 posts
Question no0b question
[disclaimer ... i am no0b at mt4g/glacier htc/ touchscreen phones/ android.. heck i havent even bough the phone as yet.. but i getting used one for a good price..so here goes...

in the case of a bad screen wonder if it would make sence to just buy/replace the lcd eg: http://www.repairsuniverse.com/htc-m...placement.html

than again i'd prolly get a generic bad screen to replace the stock bad screen...

either was i might want to change the housing..

side note , if the were scratches on the camera cover , changing the housing would replace the camera cover right?
25th February 2012, 02:27 PM   |  #1593  
Flag New York
Thanks Meter: 1

21 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by SJMarty

The wifi is jacked on my black myTouch 4G so I called and arranged a warranty exchange. The replacement phone, an obvious refurb, came yesterday. I powered it up and all I can say is WOW. The screen on the replacement is AWFUL. Unless you are looking at it completely straight-on, the colors are completely washed out. If I put it side-by-side with my current phone, it looks TERRIBLE.

Up until this point, I was unaware that there were different panels on this phone. I pretty much figured but I went ahead and checked and my current phone with the wifi issue is a type 2 panel. I called back and told them that the replacement phone was not acceptable and they are sending me another one. I've now discovered that some are having to go through this process for 5+ phones to get a good one.

So, my question is...are there any tricks to get a "good/type 2" myTouch 4G or do you just have to play the game?

No trick, unfortunately you just have to keep exchanging. My original white model was faulty (good screen, other issues, China model). It took 5 exchanges to get a good one again. Every refurb they sent was a Taiwan model (including the good replacement).
27th February 2012, 04:17 PM   |  #1594  
Flag Laurens S.C.
Thanks Meter: 157

481 posts
More
I have been wanting to post this for awhile, and I have in a couple of threads, but this would be the official thread to post in. I have owned a total of 4 MT4G handsets. Every one of them has had the "bad" screen. But my question is this. is it possible to have one with the "bad" screen, and nothing be wrong with it? My colors are brilliant and not washed out, and in fact, I would be very amazed to see a screen that was much better than mine. At any rate, just to let anyone know that are new to MT4G, its possible that the "good" screen "bad" screen issue is overrated....just sayin..
27th February 2012, 05:14 PM   |  #1595  
Thanks Meter: 11

81 posts
A couple of other people have also mentioned that about the bad screen. There's nothing really that wrong with it if you're looking at it from straight on, but the difference can be seen here in the video from the OP:

The difference is obvious at oblique angles. As alluded to in the first post of the thread, it might not even be the screen itself, but possibly the coating applied to the screen. Empirically, the evidence suggests that it's the screen itself, but a later run of those Sharp panels could very well look fine.
Last edited by Snakecharmed; 27th February 2012 at 05:31 PM.
29th February 2012, 02:02 AM   |  #1596  
Thanks Meter: 13

153 posts
Talking

update ....

i got the phone that i was iffying to buy...

did a factory reset... restarted the screen is back .. I then did a check and yup its a pannel 2 ....sony screen

yeah me
5th March 2012, 06:20 AM   |  #1597  
Recognized Developer / Retired Forum Moderator
Flag Chicago
Thanks Meter: 7,273

3,206 posts
Donate to Me
More
That sucks i have a bad screen a year later I find out smh

Sent from my ...Awesome...using XDA
29th March 2012, 04:44 AM   |  #1598  
Thanks Meter: 0

4 posts
New Terminal Emulator
Tried using Terminal method to determine which screen I have but nothing telling me the type of screen I have came up. Just about 80 pages of useless results.

Does this work if rooted and running a custom ROM? Cause I'm running Creamed Glacier.

Also could the recent Market update of Terminal Emulator have anything to do with it?
29th March 2012, 09:15 AM   |  #1599  
Flag Jacksonville, FL, USA
Thanks Meter: 74

131 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by quadmanx

Tried using Terminal method to determine which screen I have but nothing telling me the type of screen I have came up. Just about 80 pages of useless results.

Does this work if rooted and running a custom ROM? Cause I'm running Creamed Glacier.

Also could the recent Market update of Terminal Emulator have anything to do with it?

Did you type this into Terminal emulator?

cat /sys/class/block/mmcblk0/device/name

Watch the result.
SEM04G - good.
M4G2DE - bad.
Both can fail, even without rooting. The "bad" has been shown to fail more. This method has NEVER failed to tell me which display the phones I was working on had. Notice the space between cat and / and it is mmcblk ZERO
29th March 2012, 10:04 AM   |  #1600  
Thanks Meter: 0

8 posts
It is a late response. I got my phone in March 2011 and it seems like good display. And it looks gorgeous. I think it has better color and contrast than iphone or samsung displays!

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread