[Q] A simple question about T-Mobile G2

Search This thread

Stockz

Feb 24, 2012
Hi,

This is a silly question, I want to install ADR HD ROM so I think I need the DZ HBOOT.

I saw this guide : http://www.virtuousrom.com/2011/06/t-mobile-g2-users-migrating-to-desirez.html

BUT, my stupid question is I am not a T-mobile user, my phone was Bell.. Doesn't matter?

And also, I read the steps and I have question in the step 10 and 11. It said execute adb reboot recovery, can I use the "adb" when I am on the HTC screen ? (I cant use when I am on bootloader, error: devide not found)

Thanks!

beefynick

Dec 12, 2011
Ohio
You can flash the T-mobile radio and see if it works, but do not be surprised if it does not. You always have the option to flash a new radio over the T-mobile one if it does not work. Alternatively, you can replace the radio.img file in the PC10IMG.zip you downloaded from the virtuous website. Be warned this will change the md5sum of the file, so in step 5 of the guide you will return a different result.

As for your problem with adb, you should use the recovery command when on the HTC screen. Were you able to get the phone to reboot into recovery in step 6?

robertxkills

Jan 9, 2011
Pennsylvania
Your experience sounds a little different than mine, but then again I didn't follow the instructions in the link exactly.

First I downloaded the PC10IMG.zip file to my sdcard, making sure it wasn't in another folder. Then I turned off my phone, then turned it back on, holding volume down + power until the bootloader opened. at that point it found the .zip, installed, and then proceeded to reboot and hang on the second reboot. At this point, I removed battery, took out microsd, put it into a microsd reader on a computer, you can delete it or rename it as i did, in case I want it later, named it "DZPC10IMG.zip" ejected the microsd, put it back in the g2, turned on. From there I forgot exactly what happened, I think it goes back to recovery perhaps, if not then turn off again, use volume + power to boot into bootloader, choose recovery, depending on the image i believe it installs CWM for you, from there I wiped everything again, then installed new ROM.

Personally, I've used that ROM and while it was awesome, I'm using Virtuous Affinity now cause I think it runs a little easier, and it's also Sense 3.5. It ran a lot better once I activated swap and supercharger. Let me know if you want help getting those going :)

redpoint73

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Oct 24, 2007
=
BUT, my stupid question is I am not a T-mobile user, my phone was Bell.. Doesn't matter?

If your phone was purchased directly from Canada Bell, its a Desire Z, not a T-Mobile G2. In that case, it already has the Desire Z HBoot, and you don't need to flash the DZ Hboot.

I've read some of your other posts. With all respect, it seems like you need to do more reading and research before modding your phone. You're asking some very basic questions about concepts that should already be understood BEFORE messing with ADB, flashing ROMs, and Hboot. Just take a breather for a few hours, and read up on all the guides, Wiki, etc. Otherwise, I have a feeling you are going to brick your phone very soon.

In particular, I think that messing with Hboot without knowing what you are doing (and don't even need to) is a very bad idea. Screwing it up can prevent you from getting into recovery, and may making recovering very difficult.

Last edited:
Reactions: Stockz

Stockz

Feb 24, 2012
If your phone was purchased directly from Canada Bell, its a Desire Z, not a T-Mobile G2. In that case, it already has the Desire Z HBoot, and you don't need to flash the DZ Hboot.

I've read some of your other posts. With all respect, it seems like you need to do more reading and research before modding your phone. You're asking some very basic questions about concepts that should already be understood BEFORE messing with ADB, flashing ROMs, and Hboot. Just take a breather for a few hours, and read up on all the guides, Wiki, etc. Otherwise, I have a feeling you are going to brick your phone very soon.

In particular, I think that messing with Hboot without knowing what you are doing (and don't even need to) is a very bad idea. Screwing it up can prevent you from getting into recovery, and may making recovering very difficult.

Thanks for your answer,

I know that I have been asked very basic questions, because I am really new in Android (just buy this phone last wednesday) and some times I want to be sure that I understood from guides are fine (I am not english native).
I have been reading a lot, I spent the first two days reading every guide that I found.. but I know is not enough, I will keep reading.

Thanks you for your advice.

I have the HBOOT-0.84.2000
Radio-26.03-02.26_M

That should be work?

Ditamae

Oct 30, 2010
Thanks for your answer,

I know that I have been asked very basic questions, because I am really new in Android (just buy this phone last wednesday) and some times I want to be sure that I understood from guides are fine (I am not english native).
I have been reading a lot, I spent the first two days reading every guide that I found.. but I know is not enough, I will keep reading.

Thanks you for your advice.

I have the HBOOT-0.84.2000
Radio-26.03-02.26_M

That should be work?

Yes, that's the DZ Hboot.

redpoint73

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Oct 24, 2007
Thanks for your answer,

Everything you can possibly think of is here, if you look hard enough. And asking questions if fine, if you can't find it or don't understand something.

The important thing is to completely understand what you are doing, before you do it. If you start doing stuff without understanding it, you can really get yourself into trouble.

I know it can be a steep learning curve, but stick with it. Be careful and good luck!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    =