Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,804,353 Members 40,834 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Do you still use WM? If so why?

Tip us?

kainppc6700
Old
Account currently disabled
Thanks Meter 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by TFGBD View Post
Well, it wasn't MS but between this and the Opera Mobile hack, it looks like we're getting our wishes granted.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1FNls9Hi6TQ
Great call. I had no idea that they were working on that. Finally those "Windows Mobile 7" devices can get some useful life breathed back into 'em (now if only I could do that with my Epic).

Tell us more about the "opera mobile hack" too :)

- 2B

Doc114
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Default Yes To Wm

I think most of it has been said. It would seem most of us that used WM and moaned about it didn't realise just how good it really was. The reason being we weren't using the other op sys out there. Now it is all but gone we now want it back. Oh well thats progress I guess. The WML project does look exciting , lets hope they really get this off the ground and up and running. Until they do I'll keep using my JADE, Sedna and Touch Pro. Yes I know they are old now but all function well as a phone, all send text messages, all have tom tom ( working ) and work well with my computer operating system ( windows 7 ) Also they are all working great using my finger instead of a stylus. Microsoft just got the op sys working ( WM6.5 ) Then they dumped it. Hey didn't they do that with windows XP and introduced Vista. How long did that last...hahaha

kainppc6700
Old
Account currently disabled
Thanks Meter 28
Cool CURIOSITY Reply

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc114 View Post
I think most of it has been said. It would seem most of us that used WM and moaned about it didn't realise just how good it really was. The reason being we weren't using the other op sys out there. Now it is all but gone we now want it back. Oh well thats progress I guess. The WML project does look exciting , lets hope they really get this off the ground and up and running. Until they do I'll keep using my JADE, Sedna and Touch Pro. Yes I know they are old now but all function well as a phone, all send text messages, all have tom tom ( working ) and work well with my computer operating system ( windows 7 ) Also they are all working great using my finger instead of a stylus. Microsoft just got the op sys working ( WM6.5 ) Then they dumped it. Hey didn't they do that with windows XP and introduced Vista. How long did that last...hahaha
Definetly. Now is that thing where they put regular windows mobile on those WM7 devices emulation, or is it running on top or something similar to that thing they did with Windows CE on Zune HD? Could this have serious potential on other device and/or non WM7 handhelds? This has got me really curious.

- 2B

dazza9075
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 442

DONATE TO ME
, I'd be very interested in how deep this rabbit hole goes! For instance does it have direct access to the hardware, if so I can see GPS and the full BT stack being a huge bonus. Or is it drip fed by wp7 APIs I have sooo many programs ( yes not "apps") I need, some of which need to communicate on com ports an all sorts.

Who knows tho, we will just have to wait and see, hopefully it gets released =)

Sent from my HD7 T9292 using XDA Windows Phone 7 App
Please Click Thanks below if I've helped at all, but more importantly please donate to XDA Developers to help keep this place running, 10 Euros isn't much and for that you get to have a funky wee Star
Please click Here to donate to
XDA-Developers

Dragonet
Old
Thanks Meter 0
I love the format and UI.

Abrax1
Old
Thanks Meter 0
is very good thengs

EdrickV
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Am on my second Tilt/Kaiser and 4th Windows Mobile device. (Technically I had another Windows CE device, a Cassiopeia A-11A I believe, but never used it for much since I had no way to sync it with anything and it ate AA's up too quick.) Prior to Windows Mobile I used a PalmOS Sony Clie.

I still use Windows Mobile because WP7 is junk in my opinion, iPhone is too restrictive, and there aren't any Android native devices I know of that have the features my tilt does. Specifically, a bunch of reprogrammable hardware buttons, (thanks to the slightly buggy HButton) a stylus, and a physical qwerty keyboard.

Also, with the cell phone plan I have and can afford, replacing/upgrading my phone means buying one outright without the 2-year contract discount and, for example, a Samsung Galaxy Note costs almost 10 times as much as my second Tilt did. Any other cell phone plan from the same carrier, with a smartphone, would likely cost a lot more since it would require me to have a data plan. (I technically have data access, but it is a "pay for the amount of data you use" type rather then a "x GB/MB a month" data plan.)

chirrindulari
Old
Thanks Meter 2
Default For OziExplorer

Simply for that

karle74
Old
Thanks Meter 2
Because my HD2 with WM6.5 has good battery life.
And Tomtom works great

elecconnec
Old
Thanks Meter 5
Wow. All this WinMo love is making me tear up! I'm still a WinMo fanboy, mostly because at the end of the day, I get more done with it. I'm still a file-based guy, and I feel like no one else sees how the newer mobile OSes are really a step backwards in terms of computing. Back in 70's and 80's, when computers weighed 40 lbs and were powered by coal, we ran a program, and worked with our files inside of that program. Then, as graphical user interfaces became popular, computing shifted to where we worked on our files, and the OS figured out what program was needed to manipulate those files.

Then iOS shows up, and "apps" took us right back to 1979: you want to open a note, an ebook, or a spreadsheet? Find whatever "app" created/owns it, open the app, and the app will access the file, maipulate it, and even handle moving it off the device, because the sandbox won't let any other app access it. Sheesh! It's like owning a VIC-20 all over again!

WinMo is certainly flawed in many, many ways, but it still stands as the best implementation of a PC-like experience on a handheld device. It's totally autonomous- no outside computer is needed to "kickstart" it, no cloud server needed to "activate" it- you take it out of the box, and it just works, like any PC would.

Android is the closest modern OS to the WinMo ideal of autonomous computing, but it has awkward file management (which is still better than the non-existent file management of iOS and WP7!)

In my household, we have iOs devices, Androids, WP7s and WinMos, and I still use the WinMos 95% of the time (mostly my HD2, but occasionally my Treo Pro and Sony X1, all in sync via Dropbox.) I love the WP7 UI, but the OS is far too walled in and dependent on MS services (take away Skydrive and Bing and the thing is a dumbphone with a big screen.)

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to elecconnec For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]