Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,778,176 Members 51,524 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Updating vending.apk on Nook Simple Touch rooted via SalsichaNooter 0.4

Tip us?

srk05
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default [Q] Updating vending.apk on Nook Simple Touch rooted via SalsichaNooter 0.4

Greetings all. The rooting with SalsichaNooter 0.4 went well. One thing I didn't understand, however, was how to replace the Vending.apk on with Nook with the new one supplied.

The relevant link is

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1351719

Could someone explain how I do this? So far, I have copied the new file to the /media folder. That is as far as I've gotten.

Thanks.

Platinum_Lotus
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Well, you must replace the Vending.apk in data/app. Use Root Explorer
The Following User Says Thank You to Platinum_Lotus For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

srk05
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default Root Explorer

Thanks, Platinum_Lotus. I am wondering, though, why, with my paid version of Astro, I can't seem to do what you suggest. I can definitely copy the new Vending; I just can't paste it, overwriting what is already in apps.

Is there some permissions issue that I need to address? Or will RE bypass permissions somehow?

Googie2149
Old
Thanks Meter 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by srk05 View Post
Thanks, Platinum_Lotus. I am wondering, though, why, with my paid version of Astro, I can't seem to do what you suggest. I can definitely copy the new Vending; I just can't paste it, overwriting what is already in apps.

Is there some permissions issue that I need to address? Or will RE bypass permissions somehow?
Perhaps install the apk using Astro (if you can) or ES File explorer / ADB. If it says install blocked, you need to open Nook Color Tools and uncheck then check the box.
The Following User Says Thank You to Googie2149 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

srk05
Old
(Last edited by srk05; 27th February 2012 at 10:09 PM.) Reason: More info
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Well, I have tried. I noticed that the permissions on the app folder looked Linux-like (I *am* a newbie), and eventually figured out how to change permissions (it seems, only temporarily) so that I could copy the new vending.apk to the app folder. Before that, I renamed the old vending app.

So now, I have no access to the Google Marketplace whatsoever. And, the permissions have reverted to read-only. I do not understand.

I wish one of the heavier hitters here could help me out. I'm about ready just to quit.

(Note: I got back into the Nook and just used Linux commands to delete the new Vending & rename the old one to Vending. Now I have the crippled Android Market.)