Mkv playback

Search This thread

kakahuynh

Feb 23, 2012
Why would you guy want to play MKV video file with HW decoding mode?

There's a mkv file that I tried with stock player and MX video player (HW mode) but it only give the video without sound.

I try again MX video player (S/W mode) and it works fine...

GadgetMe

Feb 18, 2012
I use the stock player and it works perfect for me with all format i have used. So far it's most avi, mkv, and mpg

Maybe you can tell a little more specifik about the mkv file that fails? The "mkv" is just a container so it can be compressed in many diffrent ways :)

Regards GadgetMe, GT-P6800

baduus

Feb 17, 2012
I solved the DTS problem with Popcorn MKV AudioConverter.

I basically had it convert the DTS track to AC3 and add it to the MKV as a separate audio track.

As long as the AC3 track is set as the default in the MKV, then the stock video player will play it just fine... And the DTS track remains intact for when you play the file on something that can handle DTS.

Sent from my GT-P6800 using XDA App

teiglin

Jul 7, 2011
Why would you guy want to play MKV video file with HW decoding mode?

There's a mkv file that I tried with stock player and MX video player (HW mode) but it only give the video without sound.

I try again MX video player (S/W mode) and it works fine...

Two things. First, mkv isn't a video type; it's a container format, and has absolutely nothing to do with the type of video it contains. Regardless of that video type, however, decoding video through hardware takes massively less power than letting the CPU do it (i.e. software decoding in MX). For comparison's sake, I can play something like 10-12 hours of hardware-decoded video on a charge. Playing about 22 minutes of software video--one TV episode at 720p with 10-bit x.264--burned through over 10% of my battery. Obviously these figures aren't precise and will vary by video type and content (since screen power is also quite relevant, videos with lots of black simply consume less power, <3 OLED). As a ballpark figure, I tend to assume that decoding the same video through software will take 3-4x more power. If you want to test it yourself, the built-in battery stats will actually provide a mildly competent comparison: compare mediaserver battery consumption (hardware) to your player's battery consumption (software).

Second, if the video is encoded at a reasonably high bitrate, software mode will not play smoothly. You can use HW video decoding and still use software audio in MX by clicking on the little music notes next to the hardware/software decoding switcher, which works fine for playing DTS audio. You can even make this the default if you want (preferences->decoder->s/w audio), so you don't have to choose it every time you play a new file.

Or you can just do what the above poster suggested and transcode the DTS to ac3 or mp3 or any other sound format that our hardware supports.

Ciddy

Nov 15, 2008
I'm using DICE player on my Galaxy S2 and it plays multi-audio tracks with several DTS audio tracks smoothly in HW.
As for the file size try formating the card in exFAT. exFat can go beyond the 4 GB file limit and can natively be read by many devices (both my Galaxy S2 and Transformer Prime, that is...).
I've had a high-bitrate 13 GB mkv (x264/DTS) running smoothly on both the S2 and Prime. If the S2 can handle it, the Tab 7.7 MUST.

reiconol

Jan 26, 2012
Another thumbs up for DicePlayer. It can play all my mkv files I have which include 720p and 1080p with DTS audio. The other amazing feature is it is able to access a samba share, and I can wirelessly stream my 1080p mkv files without stutter.

It can't play all files. I have some 1080p MP4 it struggles with, while MXPlayer has no problems. So depending on the encoded file I switch between different players, but DicePlayer is always my preferred choice.

Masterface7

Dec 31, 2007
Man, Dice player has worked very poorly on my 7.7 tab after version 1.9.0. Meaning the video playback is stuttery and not fluid at all. Thankfully I have an old version that i use and it works perfectly but i wish i knew what happened to the new versions.

Manipur

Mar 4, 2012
I use both dice player and vplayer. Both of them handles mkv files pretty well in h/w mode. Only problem is that I can't format my SD card in exFat format. It just fails to recognize the card.

Sent from my GT-P6800 using Tapatalk 2 Beta-5

juami

Sep 29, 2007
If you have troubles on MP4 with diceplayer.
press long key on file list -> select player -> stock player
It may help you. ( if MP4 file contains H.264/AAC )