Sony SmartEyeglass SDK Developer Preview Released

A little over a month ago in Tokyo, Japan, Sony unveiled its new SmartEyeglasstechnology. … more

XDA and Leaseweb: Server Trial/Moto 360 Contest (Winners!)

About a month ago, we held a contest along with XDA’s host, Leaseweb, to … more

Updated Android Lollipop Preview Images – XDA TV

The Android Lollipop Preview Images are now available! That and much more news is … more

Get a Complete Set of Logs with Andy Log

The importance of proper logging is undeniable. No, we’re not talking about lumberjack work. … more

[Q] Android media process -- 100% CPU, how to permanently disable?

OP mrmagmrmag

12th February 2012, 01:19 PM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 1

25 posts
On my Galaxy Tab 10.1 running 'In Paris V4' with preshoot's kernel I have the following problem:

Android media process hogs CPU (47%, which means 100% for one thread on this dual core device).

The device was running fine for a few months, so the problem is not the ROM/kernel but was caused by something else later on.

I would like to fix this problem (without reformatting/reflashing the whole ROM). If there is no easy solution I just want to disable it, but could not figure out how.

Killing the process helps for some time, but after some minutes/hours the process is back. I tried 'pm disable com.android.providers.media' as well as 'pm disable com.android.providers.media/com.android.media.MediaScannerReceiver' -- both with no result (it helps for a few minutes but then the process is back again!).

I don't know how/where this process is started so that I can make a modification there to disable it or which package I should delete to get rid of the process.

Any help/suggestions are appreciated.
23rd February 2012, 08:54 PM   |  #2  
OP Junior Member

25 posts
This obviously seems to be the wrong board I am posting that supposedly simple question in -- could somebody please point me in the right direction and I will ask again in a more appropriate board.
23rd February 2012, 10:43 PM   |  #3  
Flag Ljubljana
Thanks Meter: 50

268 posts
More
I'd say the board is the right one ... but at least I can't help you here, as I don't know the answer .

My only advice would be to flash a newer ROM, isn't inParis kinda "outdated"? I think android.media has something to do with connecting USB devices to the tab, since it's the thing that crashes on ICS KANGs when you plug out your USB stick ... but that's all I can help you with (if it's any help) :P
23rd February 2012, 11:08 PM   |  #4  
Flag Dallas
Thanks Meter: 287

430 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmagmrmag

On my Galaxy Tab 10.1 running 'In Paris V4' with preshoot's kernel I have the following problem:

Android media process hogs CPU (47%, which means 100% for one thread on this dual core device).

The device was running fine for a few months, so the problem is not the ROM/kernel but was caused by something else later on.

I would like to fix this problem (without reformatting/reflashing the whole ROM). If there is no easy solution I just want to disable it, but could not figure out how.

Killing the process helps for some time, but after some minutes/hours the process is back. I tried 'pm disable com.android.providers.media' as well as 'pm disable com.android.providers.media/com.android.media.MediaScannerReceiver' -- both with no result (it helps for a few minutes but then the process is back again!).

I don't know how/where this process is started so that I can make a modification there to disable it or which package I should delete to get rid of the process.

Freeze the app with Titanium Backup or use this specific purpose app from the market
https://market.android.com/details?i...diascannerroot
Worked for me
24th February 2012, 07:06 AM   |  #5  
Thanks Meter: 306

1,008 posts
Quote:

search pershoot's thread... Or check his website... it's there...
The Following User Says Thank You to slack04 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
25th February 2012, 09:53 PM   |  #6  
OP Junior Member

25 posts
@slack04

Thanks a lot -- I used this solution:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1258302

to automatically kill the process once it starts running. No real solution, but it helps until I manage to update the tab to ICS.
26th February 2012, 02:49 AM   |  #7  
Thanks Meter: 306

1,008 posts
Quote:

@slack04

to automatically kill the process once it starts running. No real solution, but it helps until I manage to update the tab to ICS.

Honestly, I was going to say that you'll spend less time doing the ICS update than looking for this; especially on that ROM (great ROM.... 6 months ago...). I'd suggest go with the last milestone from Romann.
28th February 2012, 01:42 AM   |  #8  
Thanks Meter: 119

452 posts
Quote:

@slack04

I would check your media files... delete them or put .nomedia file in all those places.

Next thing to try is to clean dalvik cache.
28th February 2012, 05:22 PM   |  #9  
OP Junior Member

25 posts
Thanks -- tried to flash latest Milestone and b26 releases. Unfortunately VPN is not working and I can only download apps via marked when connected to a VPN (even if this does not change my IP as I often just connect to my Router). So -- until VPN is supported with any ICS ROM I am stuck with my old In Paris 4 (with pershoot kernel to mount SMB shares via CIFS).
28th February 2012, 05:38 PM   |  #10  
Flag Central Illinois
Thanks Meter: 205

853 posts
More
Quote:

Thanks -- tried to flash latest Milestone and b26 releases. Unfortunately VPN is not working and I can only download apps via marked when connected to a VPN (even if this does not change my IP as I often just connect to my Router). So -- until VPN is supported with any ICS ROM I am stuck with my old In Paris 4 (with pershoot kernel to mount SMB shares via CIFS).

I can understand if you'd just rather wait because of having to bother with reinstalling every thing, but it looks like you can change ROMs quickly. So why not goto Task14 while you wait for ICS?
There might be device issue I'm not aware of also, so just wondering.

If you can read this, thank the person that taught you how.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
andoid media process, disable process, high cpu
Previous Thread Next Thread