Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,730,444 Members 44,122 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Lenovo IdeaPad A1 7" Tablet Review and Root!

Tip us?

janner43
Old
Thanks Meter 3
Can confirm that ROW 2643 firmware update runs 6.3 Maps updated from Android Market.
The Following User Says Thank You to janner43 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

tinybeetle
Old
Thanks Meter 59
Fred over at the Lenovo forum noted that the OTA live tree now contains new downloads for 2643. I'm presently running the OTA US update from the Settings screen.

So far so good. Great "Chinglish" text on the downloading screen.

"If you insert the USB,downloaded will be ceased when you downloaded the file."

At reboot now. Nothing seems to be happening. I'm guessing I'll need to power up manually....

Held power for 5 seconds, A1 vibrated, and Lenovo boot animation logo is up...

And after a very long boot logo animation cycle I'm at 2643 fw. Now to root...

---------- Post added at 02:55 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:21 PM ----------

Root was fun. I knew that 2643 fixed the SuperOneClick hole, but I didn't expect A1_Rooter renamed to update.zip to not work.

Yet it would not install from update.zip, despite trying 3 times. However, CWM would. So I installed CWM and then installed A1_Rooter.zip using ClockworkMod Recovery.

Thanks Graham!
================================================== ============
Since August 2013 - HiSense Sero 7 Pro with 32gb microSD
Since December 2012 - Star B92M 1GB MTK6577 phone.
Since November 2011 - Lenovo IdeaPad A1 16gb with 16gb microSD.
Used to have an LY-F521 Telechips 8803 ARM Cortex A8. Then it was stolen... Sigh.

devrajp
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Default how is gps in lenovo a1

Has anyone tested gps offline of a1. Pls share your experiences.is gps connection slower than expected. Any way to make gps location get fast?
And what about self rebooting problem. Has anyone solved this 2 issues

prince747
Old
Thanks Meter 36
Quick question:

There's an OTA update available for me.

My A1 is currently rooted. A few system apps are 'frozen'.

Am I supposed to unroot the tablet, de-freeze before I go for the OTA?

Thanks in anticipation!

tinybeetle
Old
Thanks Meter 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by prince747 View Post
Quick question:

There's an OTA update available for me.

My A1 is currently rooted. A few system apps are 'frozen'.

Am I supposed to unroot the tablet, de-freeze before I go for the OTA?

Thanks in anticipation!
Unfreeze might be a good idea. The update will unroot automatically. Then to root again you'll need to use the CWM method as SuperOneClick will not work.

Note: The boot-logo is on for a LONG time during the first power-back-on after the update. And you need to power on manually, it doesn't automatically reboot.
Used to have an LY-F521 Telechips 8803 ARM Cortex A8. Then it was stolen... Sigh.
The Following User Says Thank You to tinybeetle For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

GeneValgene
Old
(Last edited by GeneValgene; 28th February 2012 at 03:01 AM.)
Thanks Meter 1
updated through the device. then installed cwm and rooted as per the instructions in this thread. looks like it preserved all my apps and settings except for lcd density

so far so good. google maps updated fine. noticed that the new rom is better at acquiring my weather location in the native news app

-edit-
native browser seems snappier too

prince747
Old
(Last edited by prince747; 28th February 2012 at 05:30 PM.)
Thanks Meter 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinybeetle View Post
Unfreeze might be a good idea. The update will unroot automatically. Then to root again you'll need to use the CWM method as SuperOneClick will not work.

Note: The boot-logo is on for a LONG time during the first power-back-on after the update. And you need to power on manually, it doesn't automatically reboot.
Thank you. Will try it right away.

[Update]:

I didn't un-root the A1. Nor did I de-freeze the apps that are frozen. I went straight for the OTA update. I just wanted to see what would happen. It went smoothly, was successful.

After the re-boot I found that the A1 is now un-rooted. But the apps that I froze before are not available which means I've to now root the tablet again to gain access to those apps. I'm not too worried because I haven't been using those apps anyway.

@Tintbeetle: could you please point me to the link where I can download a stable CWM so I can root the A1 the way you suggested. Many thanks.

stewbuntu
Old
(Last edited by stewbuntu; 28th February 2012 at 03:07 AM.)
Thanks Meter 7
I could not find an A1 section and I heard we have to vote or something to have a section added, so I'll get on that.

First night I am annoyed with the home keys (soft keys I think= menu,home,back) keep going dark while doing stuff on the screen. I am doing okay guessing where they are, but it sucks. What have you guys done? It's not under display settings. The only other thing I could think of was adj brightness app. I'd like them to go dark when the entire screen goes dark.

So far Navonics marine GPS, multicon, weather channel widget, tides predictor, aldiko, epson iprint, pandora, radar now, task killer(for memory widget), and a few others have loaded worked and not failed yet. 4 hours into starting it up no issues except the home keys/ backlighting annoyance. It auto updated and I'm on 2.3.4 2/27/2012.

I would like the home screen widget gone so it's more like my phone. Soon I will root and such

Oh I haven't read all 70 pages yet of the forumn, but a couple post back I saw someone not wanting OTA updates. If you want to stop the OTA updates annoying message, the easiest way I have found (took about 3 minutes) using Titanium backup app and freeze the update app in the list. Worked great on rooted Moto Atrix so I don't loose my webtop/laptop back end changes.

J_T
Old
Thanks Meter 13
Has anyone tried Voodoo OTA Rootkeeper from the market before upgrading from 2375 to 2643?

tinybeetle
Old
(Last edited by tinybeetle; 28th February 2012 at 03:32 PM.) Reason: Forgot Something
Thanks Meter 59
I've run into an interesting visual glitch after the upgrade to 2643. My status bar becomes garbled every so often. If I rotate the tablet then it clears up, only to happen again a short while later. I suspect it is due to the launcher that I'm using - VTL. But I'm wondering if anyone else is seeing this.

My screen density is currently 160, the same place it was on the earlier firmware.

I'm attaching a screen shot of the affected area.

Any ideas?

Edit: I forgot to mention one other "artifact/issue". When tapping on something I get a light blue line through the area that I'm tapping on. It happens only when tapping, not doing multi-touch.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	status-bar.png
Views:	100
Size:	16.4 KB
ID:	923606  

Tags
ideapad, lenovo a1, lenovoa1, lepad, root, tablet