Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,736,274 Members 46,180 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[DISCUSSION] Cracks by the Speakers?

Tip us?

emuX
Old
Thanks Meter 84
I have had cracks by both speakers. A little bit of 'precision' Superglue and it's stuck back really well and I've not had any problems since. You can hardly see the original cracks either.

I didn't want to risk sending my unit back in case they just refunded me - got it in the firesale and I'm totally attached to it now.

Ferrari353
Old
(Last edited by Ferrari353; 28th February 2012 at 05:34 AM.)
Thanks Meter 17

DONATE TO ME
I freaked out when I saw this thread, and I immediately removed my TP from the case and scanned it all over. I'm happy to see it's scratch free so far! *knocks on wood*
EDIT: crap....I noticed a tiny tiny crack next to the speaker...hopefully it won't spread...

rr5678
Old
Thanks Meter 226
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferrari353 View Post
I freaked out when I saw this thread, and I immediately removed my TP from the case and scanned it all over. I'm happy to see it's scratch free so far! *knocks on wood*
EDIT: crap....I noticed a tiny tiny crack next to the speaker...hopefully it won't spread...
It will get worse.

guho
Old
Thanks Meter 6
Are the cracks caused by the HP case? I have had no cracks in an incipio case for 3 months. Just upgraded to the HP case for $10, should I be worried now about getting cracks?

Thanks

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using xda premium

rr5678
Old
Thanks Meter 226
Quote:
Originally Posted by guho View Post
Are the cracks caused by the HP case? I have had no cracks in an incipio case for 3 months. Just upgraded to the HP case for $10, should I be worried now about getting cracks?

Thanks

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using xda premium
The cracks are caused by the cheap ass plastic they used. Case or no case it usually happens.

Ferrari353
Old
Thanks Meter 17

DONATE TO ME
Im sure this has already been asked, but does it have to be returned to stock for them to replace or fix it?
And then once it's fixed, is there any way to prevent the cracks?

--
Sent from my SGS2 Skyrocket using Tapatalk
SGH-A437 -> Samsung Impression -> Samsung Mythic -> Inspire 4G -> Galaxy S2 -> Galaxy S2 Skyrocket -> Galaxy S3
The Following User Says Thank You to Ferrari353 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

rr5678
Old
Thanks Meter 226
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferrari353 View Post
Im sure this has already been asked, but does it have to be returned to stock for them to replace or fix it?
And then once it's fixed, is there any way to prevent the cracks?

--
Sent from my SGS2 Skyrocket using Tapatalk
You most definitely have to return it to stock and I don't know whether the new ones crack or not.

webran61
Old
Thanks Meter 10
Default Ugh.

I've been lurking this thread since I got my Touchpad from the second firesale right before Christmas.

Touchpad had annoying yellowish light-bleeding in the screen from the beginning. Also the screen was never actually flush with the front edges of the plastic casing, like it wasn't re-assembled back together properly.

NOW today I finally noticed a hairline crack in the plastic by one of the speakers.

I love the device in general; I love having a tablet, but I am just so glad I only paid $100 for it. There's no way this thing was worth as much as an iPad (with a metal casing).

I've already thrown away the box and everything else that my Touchpad came to my doorstep in, but hopefully I can contact HP and get it fixed, then buy a case next time.

/rant

david black
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by rr5678 View Post
It will get worse.
It will definitely get worse.
Current
Verizon M8 - S-OFF + ViperOne 1.8.0
Samsung Nexus 10 - CM 11 + Gapps

Rarely Used
HTC Evo LTE - Sense 5 / 4.3
LG LS980 (G2) - Stock Rooted ZVA
HP Touchpad - WebOS + Android
Evo 4G - Shattered Digitizer
iPod Touch - Stock iOS 5.0

rosystreasures
Old
Thanks Meter 33
I bought mine on ebay about a month ago with the crack (the seller was very honest).

I found this to be a warranty issue and called HP. It was confirmed I have a warranty until 8/cant recall/2012.

I asked if they had replaced the casing with different materials and was reassured they have replaced the materials. The whole process would take 7 - 10 days from the date I sent it in.

I sent it in today with a detailed note stating I want my unit back. So, we shall see...

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rosystreasures For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]