5,595,196 Members 45,153 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[APP][2.3+][V3.0.7] BETA! | utter! | Your OFFLINE voice controlled personal assistant

Tip us?
 
thehavock18
Old
#111  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 27
Posts: 258
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Scott AFB
Willing to help beta test this. I work for USAF and my phone is everything for appointments our navigation when traveling.

Sent from my SGH-I777 using Tapatalk
 
maurituna
Old
(Last edited by maurituna; 28th February 2012 at 03:36 PM.)
#112  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 4
Join Date: Sep 2011
Great stuff. Count me on for beta testing. Not sure if this is valid for utter!, but it'd be more than glad to make a Brazilian Portuguese tranlsation for menus and such.
 
BPM
Old
#113  
BPM's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 6
Posts: 111
Join Date: Mar 2006
reserved...
 
magicdroid
Old
(Last edited by magicdroid; 28th February 2012 at 10:51 AM.)
#114  
magicdroid's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 306
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Ghent
Just logged in to give kudo's to the dev working on this. This is IMO the best way to integrate voice controlled actions on Android.

Great job!

Edit: I'm working on a home automation app for a specific system, and when the interface is ready I will incorporate it in the app.
Galaxy Nexus

rom: Stock JB
spl: ? | radio: ?
rcv: CWM Recovery

(backup: Nexus S, HTC Magic 32A)
(tablet: XOOM, Nexus7)
 
wez89
Old
#115  
wez89's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 336
Posts: 1,966
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Manchester
Very nice, looking forward to this (:




XDA Developers
Senior Member.

HTC One
PACman 19.08.2013.

 
RoboJoe
Old
#116  
RoboJoe's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 112
Posts: 308
Join Date: Jul 2010
Random question. Will this be open sourced? Is it already and I just missed it?

/random question
 
floridatank
Old
#117  
Member
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 35
Join Date: Mar 2011
I too have tried all the Siri clones on the market and this one seems to be better. Good Luck and you are doing a great job!
 
mistermentality
Old
#118  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 245
Posts: 1,408
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Pontypridd
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoboJoe View Post
Random question. Will this be open sourced? Is it already and I just missed it?

/random question
I don't think it is, or will be, as the developer rightly wants to make some money for the hard work they are putting in and if it was open sourced people could copycat the application and not only flood the market but if those versions contained malware also damage the source products reputation by association.

Dave

Sent from my LG P920 using Tapatalk
 
RoboJoe
Old
#119  
RoboJoe's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 112
Posts: 308
Join Date: Jul 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistermentality View Post
I don't think it is, or will be, as the developer rightly wants to make some money for the hard work they are putting in and if it was open sourced people could copycat the application and not only flood the market but if those versions contained malware also damage the source products reputation by association.

Dave

Sent from my LG P920 using Tapatalk
That's a very strange thing to say while typing on an open source operating system, isn't it?

Open source != free (as in beer), and using the same source != using the same trademark. Copycats would be missing one major component, anyway: the developer. If I have a bug or a suggestion, I can't go to the guy copying someone's source, can I? I don't mean to type this to convince the dev to open source it, only to clear up the obvious misconceptions you seem to have regarding open source software. Obviously, the dev will do whatever he feels like with his software.

And, hey, it makes no difference to me either way, I'm still excited about the product! :)
 
mistermentality
Old
#120  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 245
Posts: 1,408
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Pontypridd
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoboJoe View Post
That's a very strange thing to say while typing on an open source operating system, isn't it?

Open source != free (as in beer), and using the same source != using the same trademark. Copycats would be missing one major component, anyway: the developer. If I have a bug or a suggestion, I can't go to the guy copying someone's source, can I? I don't mean to type this to convince the dev to open source it, only to clear up the obvious misconceptions you seem to have regarding open source software. Obviously, the dev will do whatever he feels like with his software.

And, hey, it makes no difference to me either way, I'm still excited about the product! :)
Nope, not strange at all. Because an operating system is open source doesn't mean the apps need to be too. Google gets their money out of ads so they can afford to give android away but the app developers also need a way to profit from their work if of course they don't give it away

I don't have misconceptions about open source btw though, my point was primarily that if he makes source available then other people would be able to profit monetarily from his work and create an influx of competition which would of course mean less reward for his work. But sometimes I'm not good at explaining what I mean though I do try.

I don't think there are that many open source android apps that do well for the developer but if there are then apologies in advance.

Its just if a developer has written something unique or superior to similar applications and wants to make something from it then open sourcing it doesn't seem the way they do it.

Dave

Sent from my LG P920 using Tapatalk

Tags
android, brandall, command, shut up and take my money already, speech, utter
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes