Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required
Post Reply

[HOW TO] Update to 2.3.6 OTA Preserving Root Access! Working!! And Tested!

OP Michael443

27th February 2012, 10:50 PM   |  #141  
kojitabe's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 28
 
202 posts
Join Date:Joined: Feb 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbridgman

DON'T TELL PEOPLE THIS! I have seen this from several people and it is WRONG! This will cause a HUGE security hole. I am a UNIX linux Architect/Engineer for my job, I know these things.....

The issue that has been stated MANY times in this thread, is not to use things like ES file manager or similar. Use a command line utility ONLY, or Root explorer, and do a text edit, but I warn EVERYONE to check the file permissions again before rebooting, because both ES and root explorer have changed the perms and messed up the file structure.

Sorry Jim if this noob is wrong,but i did this using root explorer,and superuser now installed in system.
And how to check the file permissions?
If it mess up with the file structure,does fxz will restore it? If it does,could you please provide me mirror link? I've been trying from fileserve and multiupload with no luck
TY
28th February 2012, 12:12 AM   |  #142  
Senior Member
Flag New Orleans
Thanks Meter: 399
 
655 posts
Join Date:Joined: Dec 2011
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by kojitabe

Sorry Jim if this noob is wrong,but i did this using root explorer,and superuser now installed in system.
And how to check the file permissions?
If it mess up with the file structure,does fxz will restore it? If it does,could you please provide me mirror link? I've been trying from fileserve and multiupload with no luck
TY

It's not so much completely wrong as it is really improper. It will work but it will leave a sizeable security hole on your A2. To fix it just adb shell or use a terminal emulator, su, and then run "chmod 644 /system/app/Superuser.apk" minus the parenthesis... also if your mount_ext3 is still edited then you can just remove the edits or replace the last line with the code above.
28th February 2012, 03:44 AM   |  #143  
kojitabe's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 28
 
202 posts
Join Date:Joined: Feb 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by cogeary

It's not so much completely wrong as it is really improper. It will work but it will leave a sizeable security hole on your A2. To fix it just adb shell or use a terminal emulator, su, and then run "chmod 644 /system/app/Superuser.apk" minus the parenthesis... also if your mount_ext3 is still edited then you can just remove the edits or replace the last line with the code above.

Thanx for your enlighten.
So all i need to do is run terminal emulator and type:
chmod 644 /system/app/Superuser.apk

No need to uninstall existing superuser?


Sent from my MB865 using Tapatalk
28th February 2012, 03:52 AM   |  #144  
Senior Member
Flag New Orleans
Thanks Meter: 399
 
655 posts
Join Date:Joined: Dec 2011
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by kojitabe

Thanx for your enlighten.
So all i need to do is run terminal emulator and type:
chmod 644 /system/app/Superuser.apk

No need to uninstall existing superuser?


Sent from my MB865 using Tapatalk

Yup (jim correct me if I'm wrong here)...
28th February 2012, 12:27 PM   |  #145  
kojitabe's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 28
 
202 posts
Join Date:Joined: Feb 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by cogeary

Yup (jim correct me if I'm wrong here)...

Unable to chmod - read only system file.
This what i did:
Type: su (enter)
Type: chmod 644 /system/app/Superuser.apk (enter)

What should i do?
Can i just edit ext3.sh file for the last line?
Thanks

Sent from my MB865 using Tapatalk
Last edited by kojitabe; 28th February 2012 at 12:29 PM.
28th February 2012, 02:50 PM   |  #146  
Member
Thanks Meter: 16
 
51 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jan 2012
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by kojitabe

Unable to chmod - read only system file.
This what i did:
Type: su (enter)
Type: chmod 644 /system/app/Superuser.apk (enter)

What should i do?
Can i just edit ext3.sh file for the last line?
Thanks

The problem is by default our /system are mounted read-only. To fix this at a root prompt type: "mount -o rw,remount /dev/null /system"

This will allow you to change the permissions on Superuser.apk and change the mount_ext3.sh

**NOTE** Be sure the permissions on mount_ext3.sh is rwxr-xr-x after you have changed it. If they are not, you are likely to get stuck in a bootloop.
28th February 2012, 06:52 PM   |  #147  
kojitabe's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 28
 
202 posts
Join Date:Joined: Feb 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeekerLoki

The problem is by default our /system are mounted read-only. To fix this at a root prompt type: "mount -o rw,remount /dev/null /system"

This will allow you to change the permissions on Superuser.apk and change the mount_ext3.sh

**NOTE** Be sure the permissions on mount_ext3.sh is rwxr-xr-x after you have changed it. If they are not, you are likely to get stuck in a bootloop.

Thanks a lot,just did as you said.
I open terminal emulator,
type: mount -o rw,remount /dev/null /system (enter)
type: chmod 644 /system/app/Superuser.apk (enter)

File permission for mount_ext3.sh is rwxr-xr-x
But when i open in text viewer,the bottom line is still chmod 4755.

Please CMIIW

Pict attached

Last edited by kojitabe; 28th February 2012 at 07:07 PM.
28th February 2012, 07:29 PM   |  #148  
Member
Thanks Meter: 16
 
51 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jan 2012
More
You will need to edit the mount_ext3.sh file. You only need to change the Superuser.apk line (change the numbers to 644 from 4755). Once you have changed it and saved, verify the permissions have not changed. Unless you change the mount_ext3.sh, when you reboot your phone the permissions on Superuser.apk will revert to octal 4755 instead of octal 644.

The Following User Says Thank You to SeekerLoki For This Useful Post: [ View ]
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes