Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,779,023 Members 44,252 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[May 25, 2013][ROM][4.0.4][720p] NexusHD2-ICS-CM9-HWA V3.0b [NativeSD]

Tip us?

NYLimited
Old
(Last edited by NYLimited; 28th February 2012 at 07:21 AM.)
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 1583
Quote:
Originally Posted by walts View Post
Tonight at 17:34, my Leo died a horrible death. everything just got slower and S_L_O_W_E_R until it rebooted. Strangely, the htc screen did not appear, only the flashing swirling panels. I understand that is just the UI and not linux that is rebooting.

I was interested in the fact that the dalvik manager ran out of memory. I thought tytung said that dalvik cache was located in /data, and according to df:

So, I would ask some kind experts to please have a look at this situation and help me to understand what happened, and possibly what I can do to prevent future recurrences?
I really shouldn't be answering this as I am far from an expert in anything much less Android. Also, keep in mind that some of this may not apply to ICS. Having said that..

How big is your Dalvik cache? It could, I believe, starve the system if it uses most of the working memory. If you don't know the size use terminal and enter

Code:
du -h -d 1 /data
and you should be able to spot it.

The Dalvik heap you mention can also be changed (up or down) if needed, in build.prop if I remember correctly.

More importantly perhaps you can look at Android's Auto Memory Manager which, in GB, is not set to be aggressive at all. If you find that at times (but not always) it takes several seconds to load an app chances are something is being flushed to make room. Setting the AMM to a more or a very aggressive mode may help.

If you want an easy way to do this use ROM Toolbox which has some predefined settings. I have actually set it beyond the most aggressive setting it has, saved it as custom and forgot about it.

Again, please keep in mind that ICS may be different - I am a few steps behind you guys.

---
Definition of an update: take old bugs out, put new bugs in.
The Following User Says Thank You to NYLimited For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

tytung
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 15059
Uploaded the kernel source with all commits to the GitHub website.
Now you can see what I change for ICS kernel after r14 kernel.
https://github.com/tytung/android_ke...cs/commits/ics

BTW, I am busy this and next months, so I will suspend the kernel development.
However I will keep to update this ICS ROM by reusing N1's non-HWA ROM.
The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to tytung For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

walts
Old
Thanks Meter 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by famewolf View Post
You ask entirely to many well thought out, detailed questions that are not in the wiki or 1st post. You are totally ruining it for the rest of us.

I don't have an answer but was curious how long the phone had been running without reboot prior to it's crash and burn. Are there particular apps consistantly running at the time it takes a dirt nap? Did the phone seem excessively warm? My hd2 is prone to overheating and begins to act very flaky when it gets that way up till it reboots.
Sorry, I'll try to remember to ask more inane questions. Oh! What does the green button with the little picture of the telephone do?

The phone was running for 46 hours before it rebooted. Typically the following apps are running:
Terminal Emulator -- saving logcat as a text file
Google Services
DSPManager
Android Keyboard

Right now, that shows 142MD used, 269MB free.

I noted that the battery charge was unexpectedly low for the time of day, so I looked at the battery graph, and it showed a gradual decline from the morning until about noon, then a really steep decline until mid afternoon, then back to the gradual decline until evening when it crashed. I have since re-installed "Battery Snap" which produces an actual time-scaled graph for future reference. I have no idea what may have been running during the period of steep decline. I assume that somehow a key was held down in my belt pouch, preventing Leo from sleeping. Anyway, the phone was not warm at the time of the crash.

Walt
Motorola Xoom tablet, CM-10.1 Wingray nightly (20130527)
Kindle Fire, CM 10.1 Otter nightly (20130523)
iPhone 4 jailbroken iOS 6.1.3
HTC Droid Incredible, CM 10 (20121120)
Previous devices:
HTC HD2, JB-Beta1 [CLK], T-Mobile voice-only SIM.
Toshiba Thrive tablet, rooted stock 3.2 ROM
HTC HD2 TyphooN CyanogenMod 7 Nightly v3.7.5
8525 vp3G 3.62.3 no sim
8925 Ultimate-X2.V4 WM6.5, Radio 1.65

Rene1966
Old
Thanks Meter 3
Default Update

Hello can someone tell me the best way to update this rom from 1.3 to 1.4 without lost of apps and data?

I come from sd build and just needed to overwrite the android map to update.
Nand is much stable and longer battery live.

Thanks in advance

HD2

YZ
Old
Retired Forum Moderator
Thanks Meter 3450
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rene1966 View Post
Hello can someone tell me the best way to update this rom from 1.3 to 1.4 without lost of apps and data?

Thanks in advance
I would recommend backing up your apps/games with titanium backup. It's a really great app.

Quote of the week:
A successful man is one who makes more money than his wife can spend. A successful woman is one who can find such a man.

- Lana Turner

The Following User Says Thank You to YZ For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

bobjbain
Old
Thanks Meter 172
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rene1966 View Post

Thanks in advance
Are you coming from the 1.3 SD or NAND build?

If it's 1.3 NAND build you can just upgrade in situ, ie just drop into CWM and install ZIP from SDCARD, choosing the download 1.4 zip file.

You may get a UUIDs inconsistent error on boot (I do) but you can press the "I'm feeling lucky" button (I do).

At some point, when I have more time, I will probably do a clean install and do a restore from Titanium Backup
Device : HTC One Mini
ROM : InsertCoin for HTC One Mini
Recovery : TWRP 2.7.1.1
HBoot : 2.22.0000 S-OFF SuperCID
Radio : 1.25.40g.00.19

Tablet : Nexus 7 2013
ROM : Stock
The Following User Says Thank You to bobjbain For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Rene1966
Old
Thanks Meter 3
Coming from 1.3 NAND will als o make a backup as said by yz.hd and will do a clean install.
Thanks

HD2

Rollo82
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Hi... I have a strange problem. I install this rom and one of the suggested a2sd.. everythings works fine and I installed and configured all my apps. Now, I cannot download any apps from market! After I click" download", the download seems to start, but it doesn't... I have the progress bar but not the %... I clear data, tried hacked market,, set dpi to standard 240 but no result!

vitamindy
Old
Thanks Meter 4
My phone crashed again and refused to boot. This is becoming a daily thing.

3one7
Old
Thanks Meter 35
Try clearing market cache from the manage apps

Sent from my NexusHD2 using Tapatalk

Tags
4.0.3, 4.0.4, ics cm9, nativesd, nexushd2, tytung, wifi
THREAD CLOSED
Subscribe