Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

[GT-P6210][KERNEL][UV/OC]garyd9's GT-P6210 kernel (updated 2012-01-23)

OP garyd9

28th February 2012, 03:57 PM   |  #191  
Flag Ripley
Thanks Meter: 27

191 posts
Did not have lzma installed, some sort of compression utility. Trying again...
28th February 2012, 05:12 PM   |  #192  
Flag Ripley

191 posts
Woohoo! I have zImage!
29th February 2012, 03:56 AM   |  #193  
Flag Ripley

191 posts
Well Gary, I tweaked your kernel. Added support for USB wireless, Everything still appears stable. Device still shows no wireless extensions for usb0. I'm still missing something. Maybe a wifi module?
2nd March 2012, 06:35 PM   |  #194  
Flag Nairobi, Kenya
Thanks Meter: 1,996

1,118 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by garyd9

First, you need a compiler and toolchain. Samsung likes to use v4.4.3 of gcc, and we're kind of stuck for that in order to let things work properly with the ar6000.ko precompiled kernel module. The easiest way to get that is to take a few steps back and search for cyanogenmod. If you search, you'll find official cyanogenmod instructions for getting the code for and building for the Samsung Galaxy SII. That has the same CPU as this tablet, so get for it. Don't worry about getting any prebuild modules - we aren't actually compiling for the SGII.. we just want the 4.4.3 toolchain that comes with it. (Among tons of other garbage, make sure this leaves you with a file similar to ~/android/system/prebuilt/linux-x86/toolchain/arm-eabi-4.4.3/bin/arm-eabi-gcc ) (You can also get this toolchain from the android ndk or from pulling the latest ICS sources from google... ) Following the directions for getting the cyanogenmod stuff will also ensure you have other tools installed on your machine as needed...

I just realized that kernels built using a compiler other than GCC 4.4.3 break the baseband on my P6200. I had read that the prebuilt Atheros wireless module would break, but it was working for me, so I just kept on compiling with Linaro 4.6, etc, frustrated as hell.

On a hunch I recompiled with GCC 4.4.3 from the Android NDK and everything's working now. I feel like a retard. That should teach me to live on the bleeding edge.

Back to hacking. When are we gonna start porting CM9? I'm game!
The Following User Says Thank You to aorth For This Useful Post: [ View ]
8th March 2012, 01:05 AM   |  #195  
Thanks Meter: 1

41 posts
please please please port cm9!!! I wish I had the skills (or the time to acquire the skills) to get it done!
23rd March 2012, 07:05 PM   |  #196  
Edmonton
Thanks Meter: 0

133 posts
Sorry I read through both this and your root thread and haven't come up with the answer. The firmware is listed in device settings right? So if the build ends with P6210XXLB2, I have LB2 firmware?

Does anybody know if LB2 is post-LA3, and therefore probably won't work with this kernel?

Thanks!
23rd March 2012, 07:20 PM   |  #197  
Flag cleveland
Thanks Meter: 1,069

5,043 posts
More
Me to CM9 would be awesome Gary and your the only one with the brains around here. I'll gladly pay for your time

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using xda premium
23rd March 2012, 11:14 PM   |  #198  
OP Recognized Developer
Flag Pittsburgh, PA
Thanks Meter: 2,163

2,083 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazorninplat

Does anybody know if LB2 is post-LA3, and therefore probably won't work with this kernel?

Decoding firmware versions:

L == 2012
A == Jan
3 == 3rd something (not sure)

LB2 is 2012, Feb (so it's later than LA3)
The Following User Says Thank You to garyd9 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
23rd March 2012, 11:17 PM   |  #199  
OP Recognized Developer
Flag Pittsburgh, PA
Thanks Meter: 2,163

2,083 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike216

Me to CM9 would be awesome Gary and your the only one with the brains around here. I'll gladly pay for your time

If I do it, it wouldn't be for money. Don't expect anything to happen any time soon, however. Even samsung developers (who do this as a full time job) haven't managed to get ICS running on this device. Hell, they can't even fix the wifi issues.
The Following User Says Thank You to garyd9 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
24th March 2012, 07:35 AM   |  #200  
Flag cleveland
Thanks Meter: 1,069

5,043 posts
More
I do mean to bring up the money thing bud BUT I really don't have anything else I can offer. I'm learning Android on my days off so hopefully one day I can contribute to coding. Thanks Gary

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using xda premium

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread