[ROM][4.0.4] Slim ICS(I897) - Clean, Simple & Fast (54MB)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

ChaoticKinesis

Jul 24, 2010
New York
there is post about tapping the phone slightly on the bacck, some hardware issue they were saying. pls chekc my i9000 thread.
I had this problem. It started with me needing to tap it once every week or so. Within 2 months, I was forcefully pressing it everyday. When I missed my alarm two mornings in one week, I decided to take it apart. There is a poor contact inside, making the connection to the speaker. If you're not eligible for warranty replacement, you will need to do this sooner or later. See this post: http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=15648897&postcount=19

Oct 19, 2010
Rom seems to be extremely solid so far. No restarts no random quirks; awesome job!

For all those with issues please..READ and RESEARCH.

Here are the steps i used that led me with a 100% working flash.

1. Flash to Stock w/ Odin 1 click
2. Root Stock Rom w/ 1 click root
3. D/L Rom Manager and flash CWM
4. Flash stable version of CM7 (Google CM7 + Captivate for Website/Wiki Instructions)
5. Flash the 2.6 Version of this Rom
6. Flash 2.7 Captivate essentials
7. Flash 2.7 Rom
8. Flash 2.7 Captivate essentials again.
9. Enjoy..

took me all of about 20mins

N

nygfan760

1st install was a cache wipe which didnt work so i went back and did a factory reset/data wipe and flashed the rom base then essentials. with problems from that i did another wipe. installed essentials then the base then the essentials again which is redundant but i saw another person post he flashed like that and didn't have problems and i still got issues.

Go back to stock and try again. Wipe data, cache, dalvik. Try flashing CM7. Let it boot. Then wipe data, cache, dalvik, and system, then flash the rom, then flash essentials. Reboot.

sulaimanz

Sep 9, 2009
London
Thanks you

Thanks a lot for your work on this ROM

Installed 2.7 + essentials + wifi fix + add-on package + upgraded to latest version of CM9 gapps 4.0.4 (http://goo-inside.me/gapps )

Observations from 1 day usage:

Pros:
Smooth as ICE
Best battery life compared to all ICS roms that I have installed on captivate
ASS app is excellent

Cons:
Facebook sync not working
Boot time is more with/without boot animation

I am here not to criticize your rom or your work, reporting things from my usage to help you further.

xreflection

Dec 17, 2010
So after about an hour last night I was able to successfully get SLIM running on my phone. The order of events was as follows:

Note: I was coming from Galnet Miui 2.11.26
1). Downloaded base rom + essentials package
2). Data/factor reset --> Flashed base rom through CWM = boot loop
3). Rebooted into CWM, data/factory reset --> Flashed again through CWM = boot loop
4). Used Odin 1 click to install 2.3.4
5). Installed EZboot GB boot loaders
6). Flashed SLIM again --> boot loop
7). Repeated step 4 and 5
8). Downloaded and flashed - teamhacksung's build 16
9). THS16 worked/phone booted
10). Rebooted into recovery and flashed SLIM base rom + essentials package with no problems
11). Phone now has SLIM ICS on it :D

So tldr; Stock 2.3.4 --> EZboot GBL --> THS16 --> SLIM + essentials
Works perfectly. This ROM is awesome.

Last edited:

krarvind

Jun 15, 2011
Saint John, NB
So after about an hour last night I was able to successfully get SLIM running on my phone. The order of events was as follows:

Note: I was coming from Galnet Miui 2.11.26
1). Downloaded base rom + essentials package
2). Data/factor reset --> Flashed base rom through CWM = boot loop
3). Rebooted into CWM, data/factory reset --> Flashed again through CWM = boot loop
4). Used Odin 1 click to install 2.3.4
5). Installed EZboot GB boot loaders
6). Flashed SLIM again --> boot loop
7). Repeated step 4 and 5
8). Downloaded and flashed - teamhacksung's build 16
9). THS16 worked/phone booted
10). Rebooted into recovery and flashed SLIM base rom + essentials package with no problems
11). Phone now has SLIM ICS on it :D

So tldr; Stock 2.3.4 --> EZboot GBL --> THS16 --> SLIM + essentials
Works perfectly. This ROM is awesome.

Wow thats some detailed procedure. I would like somebody who is on MIUI or another ICS or GB Rom to try this and tell me if this works

• Flash my Essentials first, reboot to recovery
  • wipe data, flash base + essentials + wifi patch ( sgs, and captivate users), reboot

OBatRFan

Feb 25, 2011
I'm getting a few random reboots, but it's fantastic other than that! Much faster than ICSSGS that I'd been running for the past few months.

OBatRFan

Feb 25, 2011
Pls describe how you flashed, what kernel you are on etc.
I was on ICSSGS RC3, wasn't happy with performance so I was going to flash back to a KK4 ROM (Serenity). I flashed Corn kernel, then Serenity. Flash didn't work, I was still stuck on CM Platypus kernel. Repeated process, same problem. I decided to flash Slim ICS. Cleared data, dalvik, then flashed Slim package, then essentials without rebooting. Didn't flash any extra kernels or anything. Everything is stock.

Also, my power button has stopped working :/

XDA App, Samsung Captivate

krarvind

Jun 15, 2011
Saint John, NB
I was on ICSSGS RC3, wasn't happy with performance so I was going to flash back to a KK4 ROM (Serenity). I flashed Corn kernel, then Serenity. Flash didn't work, I was still stuck on CM Platypus kernel. Repeated process, same problem. I decided to flash Slim ICS. Cleared data, dalvik, then flashed Slim package, then essentials without rebooting. Didn't flash any extra kernels or anything. Everything is stock.

weird mate, really weird. get to recovery ( via adb), wipe everything, flash my essentials first, reboot to recovery, flash base + essentials + wifi patch.

sa1yan

Jan 1, 2009
Texas

No wonder Serentiy didn't work after you flashed it from ICS. Because you have to repartition your phone when going from AOSP to Samsung GB Roms.

I had no problems flashing this ROM, I was on Dark Knight ICS, then wiped data/cache, and formatted system and flashed the base rom and the captivate essentials package right afterwards (like the OP says) and everything works perfect. You should be able to follow this procedure from any ROM (such as KK4, CM7, ICS, etc).

mopo01

Jan 17, 2011
Chicago
speaker fix

hi, that was my post with tapping on the back but i have this issue for 2-3 months now...i looked for it when i first got it and they say it's a common hardware issue for cappy...so for now on you better check your cappy from time to time maybe you're silent unwillingly :)

btw if you find a solution to permanently fix this let me know. thx

I believe I saw a fix a while back search in captivate general something about screws being to tight. If I was on computer I would try finding. If you don't find anything I will try to find tomorrow.

Sent from my SGH-I897 using XDA App

Try this post for a permanet fix

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1351278&highlight=speaker+screw

Last edited:
Reactions: razvanadrian
T

Thasro

Hi, I just wanted to say great job on this ROM. I did a full wipe before flashing and I haven't had a single issue. Keep up the good work!

ChaoticKinesis

Jul 24, 2010
New York
Thank you, excellent job with the wifi fix!

I've noticed what appears to be another bug. The battery has been very inaccurate on this ROM. Sometimes my phone seems to discharge quickly and when I plug it in, the battery indicator will hardly change for a full hour or more (+/- 2%). Sometimes it even looks like the battery is slightly depleting while connected. When I reboot, it will show a much higher percentage. Also, the lockscreen percentage does not always agree with the notification bar percentage.

The charging animation when the phone is off no longer works either.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    slimnewlogo.png
    IMPORTANT: FEATURE REQUESTS WILL BE IGNORED, MY BETA TESTERS WILL DO THAT DIRECTLY TO ME.

Key features:
    • Fully built from AOSP sources with some cherry picks from CM and AOKP team,
    • Easy to customize features (thanks to AOKP team) via ASS (Advanced Slim Settings)
    • ROM - 54MB
    • Slim Common - ~20MB
    • 5 languages ( en, fr, de, it and es. No new languages will be added)
    • Lightning Launcher
    • Lockscreen Options ( Calendar, Weather etc, check via ASS)
    • Screenshot via Customizable Nav Bar
    What Works:

• Everything for daily use
    Supported Devices here, no extra devices for now ( and NO PORTS of Slim ICS):

Removed apps here, download it via my OTA app

Credits here

Source:

https://github.com/krarvind/

Rest:
    http://source.android.com

Latest version, Download Links and Change Logs : Go Here

Discuss the rom here in xda and Hit Thanks if you try the rom and like it .
    4.1 Released:
    Note:
    Overall change in how i am structuring Slim. No more Base + essentials + gapps. Device ROM + SLim Common ( which inclues slim gapps among other common non compiled stuff). Just flash Device ROM version THEN Slim Common ( includes Slim Gapps). you should be set.
    3.9 Released. I will say this, read the changelog and FAQ, before posting questions. If you find ppl posting without reading, just direct them to them the changelog page, don't give them the answer, its a few lines not that hard.

You need to d/l and flash Base, Device essentials and Slim Gapps. From next time on you just need to d/l base and device essentials as long as you don't lose Slim Gapps or i don't change it. Happy Friday Everyone!

NOTE: Read the changelog below carefully and the FAQ before posting questions .

All Devices:

• Apollo ( CM9) music compiled from sources - thanks cm team
    • Updated germant translations for DeskClock - thanks Basian Mile
    • Reduce processing in WebCore thread while scrolling and zooming based on this
    • External Webkit changes based on this, this and this.
    • Hide storage option in camera for devices that don't have external storage based on this
    • Don't try to create an ad-hoc network when no wireless network is available based on this
    • SlimPapers.apk with a couple of wallpapers, nothing fancy. Will put it in OTA app for those who want to use it. - thanks jeffyca at rootz for slimlogo wallpaper
      trans.gif
    • CM9 Quiet Hours
    • New boot animation - thanks jeffyca at rootz
    • Basic gapps included in base is pulled and made a separate flashable zip, reason is two fold,
      • make google happy as they prefer this route and
      • they don't change often, so why bloat the base unnecessarily.
    • Whatever was in UpdateMe ( GenieWidget etc etc), Apps, Stays there,
    • Make sure to flash slim_gapps along with base and essentials to get working multi dpi playstore, gmail, talk, video chat, email and exchange. If you flash another gapps, you are on your own, don't complain apps are not compatible if you are not on slim gapps. This is the way moving forward, you can cry about if you want
      trans.gif
    • Base is now 44 MB
      trans.gif
    Galaxy Nexus ( Maguro, Toro & Toroplus)

• Synced upto lean 3.8
    Galaxy S2

• Synced upto latest Fluxi's changes.
    Upgrade Method: Back to the usual
    Download Link:
    Direct : Slim ICS 3.9

or via OTA app;
    one more......