XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Better Reception?

Tip us?

JimReid
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Default [Q] Better Reception?

I have I think a kind of strange problem. I've had my V or a few months now and all of a sudden it doesn't get move than 2 bars on the reception scale where as before it used to get 3-5 sitting in my rec room. Don't know what changed other than adding and removing some apps that I wanted to try out. Don't know which are still there that weren't before but wouldn't think that apps would cause the reception to be poorer.

Thought about an antenna booster/adapter/extension but thought I'd ask others first.

Also, anyone added any antennas to theirs? I noticed there isn't an external connection for one and everything I've read so far talks about add one with the external connection.

Any help would be appreciated.

bloodclot
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Try updating your PRL

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=991668

robsondantas
Old
Thanks Meter 0

DONATE TO ME
My optimus had problems like that too, but after upgrading my by rom, baseband stuff is quite better.

Which one are you using ?

scootincivic
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by bloodclot View Post
Agreed, Updating the PRL is highly recommended.

Sent from my VM670

monkeysez
Old
Thanks Meter 22
Have you really noticed a difference by upgrading your PRL?

JimReid
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Default Don't know what PRL is

In reading all the responses I was afraid since I don't know what the PRL is. Several places warned against changing things in the PRL if you don't know what the PRL is.

I have rooted my phone and have changed the rom a couple times including bricking it a couple times but had a backup so I recovered but don't know what the PRL is so didn't try that avenue.

Jim

monkeysez
Old
Thanks Meter 22
I flashed my PRL today and could only get data to work. SMS and Phone stopped working so I flashed back to my original PRL. I think it was trying to connect to the tower closests to where I was, but told me to call customer service If I wanted to use it.

rameshkvp
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Phone ROM issue on signal reception

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimReid View Post
I have I think a kind of strange problem. I've had my V or a few months now and all of a sudden it doesn't get move than 2 bars on the reception scale where as before it used to get 3-5 sitting in my rec room. Don't know what changed other than adding and removing some apps that I wanted to try out. Don't know which are still there that weren't before but wouldn't think that apps would cause the reception to be poorer.

Thought about an antenna booster/adapter/extension but thought I'd ask others first.

Also, anyone added any antennas to theirs? I noticed there isn't an external connection for one and everything I've read so far talks about add one with the external connection.

Any help would be appreciated.

Recently I upgrade my ROM to cyagenmod 10.1. It shows the signal is very poor, but I did not face the issues on call receiving/making. This is the known issue ( fail to refresh the signal strength in status).

Also faced some other issues ( phone hang while call is coming in 'phone locked' condition'.

Finally changed the OS to Android 4.2.1 & PAC-MAN 19.9.0. Except the battery drain issue, no more issues now.

Tags
antennas, optimus v, reception