5,597,501 Members 31,048 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[APP] NoLED v6.0.19 - Use the AMOLED screen for incoming notifications

Tip us?
 
madmack
Old
#3691  
madmack's Avatar
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 4280
Posts: 3,479
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Boston, MA

 
DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by diveganesh View Post
Love this app, thank you so much.

I have a quick query with gmail notification. Let's say the I receive an email, NO LED pops up the icon on my Galaxy S2 Skyrocket (not rooted). If I access this new email on another device, let's say my desktop, the phone seems to wake up to the lock screen and stays this way till it times out. Assuming that this is draining some battery, wondering if there is a way to prevent this "waking up".

Thanks in advance.
NoLED figures out about these read emails and dismisses itself. It does not attempt to turn the screen off so it lets the Android defaults take care of that for you. This should still consume less battery than if you'd have NoLED display a notification on the screen continuously. If you still prefer NoLED not to automatically dismiss these gmail notifications, then I recommend unchecking your email accounts from under toggle notifications > emails and then check Gmail under Monitored Apps.
 
diveganesh
Old
#3692  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter 1
Posts: 12
Join Date: Dec 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by madmack View Post
NoLED figures out about these read emails and dismisses itself. It does not attempt to turn the screen off so it lets the Android defaults take care of that for you. This should still consume less battery than if you'd have NoLED display a notification on the screen continuously. If you still prefer NoLED not to automatically dismiss these gmail notifications, then I recommend unchecking your email accounts from under toggle notifications > emails and then check Gmail under Monitored Apps.
Thanks for the reply. I like that the Gmail notifications are dismissed if I've read them on another device, that's real nice. I'd like to rephrase my question with this sequence of events:

1. Screen off
2. New Gmail, NoLED mail icon comes up
3. Read Gmail on other device
4. NoLED recognises this and turns off mail icon (dismisses itself as you put it)
5. Screen turns on
6. Screen turns off after default timeout

Now, at Step 5, is there a way to ensue that the screen dos not come on since it was not on at Step 1? In normal usage, while working at my computer for instance during the day, I see my phone screen switch on every now and then (because of what I've described above) and hence my question.

Yes, I understand that I could turn off NoLED while I'm at my desktop using the timing feature (I use do it overnight), but then I'd need to turn it on when I step away for a meeting etc. which doesn't really work.

Hope this clarifies my question. Thanks again and FWIW I've donated to you, there's no reason why this should be free.
 
gollyzila
Old
#3693  
gollyzila's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 91
Posts: 404
Join Date: Aug 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by diveganesh View Post
Thanks for the reply. I like that the Gmail notifications are dismissed if I've read them on another device, that's real nice. I'd like to rephrase my question with this sequence of events:

1. Screen off
2. New Gmail, NoLED mail icon comes up
3. Read Gmail on other device
4. NoLED recognises this and turns off mail icon (dismisses itself as you put it)
5. Screen turns on
6. Screen turns off after default timeout

Now, at Step 5, is there a way to ensue that the screen dos not come on since it was not on at Step 1? In normal usage, while working at my computer for instance during the day, I see my phone screen switch on every now and then (because of what I've described above) and hence my question.

Yes, I understand that I could turn off NoLED while I'm at my desktop using the timing feature (I use do it overnight), but then I'd need to turn it on when I step away for a meeting etc. which doesn't really work.

Hope this clarifies my question. Thanks again and FWIW I've donated to you, there's no reason why this should be free.
Starting at Step 2 your screen was on. When NoLED is dismissed it shows the lockscreen. Because of the contrasting brightness of NoLED and your lock screen it seems to you that the screen turns on.
The Following User Says Thank You to gollyzila For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
madmack
Old
#3694  
madmack's Avatar
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 4280
Posts: 3,479
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Boston, MA

 
DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by diveganesh View Post
Thanks for the reply. I like that the Gmail notifications are dismissed if I've read them on another device, that's real nice. I'd like to rephrase my question with this sequence of events:

1. Screen off
2. New Gmail, NoLED mail icon comes up
3. Read Gmail on other device
4. NoLED recognises this and turns off mail icon (dismisses itself as you put it)
5. Screen turns on
6. Screen turns off after default timeout

Now, at Step 5, is there a way to ensue that the screen dos not come on since it was not on at Step 1? In normal usage, while working at my computer for instance during the day, I see my phone screen switch on every now and then (because of what I've described above) and hence my question.

Yes, I understand that I could turn off NoLED while I'm at my desktop using the timing feature (I use do it overnight), but then I'd need to turn it on when I step away for a meeting etc. which doesn't really work.

Hope this clarifies my question. Thanks again and FWIW I've donated to you, there's no reason why this should be free.
I understand. Thing is, there isn't a reliable way to "switch screen off" using the standard android APIs. The methods I found were a workaround and hackish (read: most likely won't work on all devices), so I chose to stay away from implementing it.
The Following User Says Thank You to madmack For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
diveganesh
Old
#3695  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter 1
Posts: 12
Join Date: Dec 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by gollyzila View Post
Starting at Step 2 your screen was on. When NoLED is dismissed it shows the lockscreen. Because of the contrasting brightness of NoLED and your lock screen it seems to you that the screen turns on.
Thanks for correcting me, that makes sense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmack View Post
I understand. Thing is, there isn't a reliable way to "switch screen off" using the standard android APIs. The methods I found were a workaround and hackish (read: most likely won't work on all devices), so I chose to stay away from implementing it.
Oh well. it's refreshing to be able to converse with a developer who has a large user community. Thanks again.
 
Millionas
Old
#3696  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 24
Posts: 111
Join Date: Oct 2011
Just a tip; use the proximity sensor, and when you are at your workstation, let the phone face down. Then NOled is off and when you need the NOled face the phone up :)

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk
 
lowspeed
Old
#3697  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 40
Posts: 1,030
Join Date: Dec 2006
BTW you should totally make a donation version. I would chip in. Great work.

---------- Post added at 02:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:17 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millionas View Post
Just a tip; use the proximity sensor, and when you are at your workstation, let the phone face down. Then NOled is off and when you need the NOled face the phone up :)

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk
Doesn't the proximity sensor use more battery than a few amoled's pixels?
 
madmack
Old
#3698  
madmack's Avatar
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 4280
Posts: 3,479
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Boston, MA

 
DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by lowspeed View Post
BTW you should totally make a donation version. I would chip in. Great work.

---------- Post added at 02:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:17 PM ----------



Doesn't the proximity sensor use more battery than a few amoled's pixels?
just wanted to let you know that you can donate from within the app with a few clicks (it'll route you through the android market). Just click on Donate in the main menu.

The proximity sensor uses a lot less power than your screen. I might be wrong on this, but from my own experience, the number 1 contributor to battery drain on your phone is usually the screen. This is closely followed by the radio/modem when you're in low reception areas. The other peripherals are relatively minor in comparison to these two.
 
diveganesh
Old
#3699  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter 1
Posts: 12
Join Date: Dec 2011
I had the double click screen to dismiss NoLED enabled...after un-checking this I find that the phone seems to be holding a charge for longer. i said seems....
 
madmack
Old
#3700  
madmack's Avatar
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 4280
Posts: 3,479
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Boston, MA

 
DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by diveganesh View Post
I had the double click screen to dismiss NoLED enabled...after un-checking this I find that the phone seems to be holding a charge for longer. i said seems....
What phone do you use ? It would make sense if it's the galaxy s as unchecking that option will allow the touchscreen driver to be shut down while noled is active.

Tags
noled
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes