No registration required

[Q] Captivate screen won't turn on

OP ErrorCode680

28th February 2012, 08:43 PM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0

10 posts
More
Long story short, I've got a fairly new (~few months) totally stock Captivate that I can't get warrantied. So I dismantled it to clean the lock button out (I had done this to another Captivate maybe half an hour before and it now works just fine) because it wasn't working, but now the screen on this one won't turn on. I can hear the boot-up sounds (wooshing and whatnot from the Galaxy S screen), and the touch buttons at the bottom light up when touched, but the screen never comes on. When plugged into a computer, it isn't recognized. When plugged into the wall, there's no indication that it was charging at all, though I suppose it did since it now turns on and didn't before. I've tried holding the volume buttons and the power button to hard reset it, but that seemed to be totally ineffectual (screen didn't come on, no additional/different sounds).

Is there anything I can do to fix this phone for my mom before I leave the country for 5 months?
28th February 2012, 09:00 PM   |  #2  
Flag St.Louis Metro
Thanks Meter: 629

1,163 posts
Donate to Me
More
It sounds like one of the connectors isn't full engaged. Carefully take it back apart and ensure any cables coming from the screen are properly attached.
28th February 2012, 10:07 PM   |  #3  
Flag Las Vegas, NEVADA
Thanks Meter: 9

54 posts
More
I hear this a lot. People dismantle their phones and when putting it all back together their ribbon wire to the screen isn't properly secured to its original state.

Sent from my SGH-I897 using xda premium
29th February 2012, 02:57 AM   |  #4  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0

10 posts
More
Thanks, that did the trick for the screen. Turns out the lock button still doesn't work, after cleaning it several times (I used CRC QD Electronic Cleaner). At least it's back to being mostly functional.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread