Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,768,845 Members 50,809 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[OVERCLOCK] [3-7-2012] dagkernel 0.2 CPU/GPU Overclock up to 1.94GHz

Tip us?

lpsi2000
Old
Thanks Meter 138
LOL, but I will be happy with just ICS on this bad boy.
AT&T Samsung Galaxy Note III(N900A)
Previous devices:
Samsung Galaxy S II, III, & Note II(i317)
Retired devices: AT&T Samsung Galaxy Note / Moto Atrix and SGS Captivate / HTC Leo(HD2) / AT&T Tilt 2/ HTC Fuze / HTC Advantage / I-Mate JasJam / JasJar / Pocket PC / XDA
Network: AT&T
OC/UV
825/850/875/900/925/950/975/1000/1025/1050/1075/1100/1125/1150/1200/1250/1275 -1800Mhz

Apo11on
Old
(Last edited by Apo11on; 29th February 2012 at 09:13 AM.)
Thanks Meter 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by twopumpchump View Post
So let me make sure I understand you right...if we get some other devs besides Da_G to work on the kernel then my antutu score will go up from 7788 to 10,124? And my battery would only drain .8% overnight instead of the 4% it drains overnight now? I am impressed, I would like to meet this new super dev and get his/her autograph!
I dont wanna clutter the thread with argument like responses to your sarcasm, but since you seem to be in great disbelief - I'll respond to few points you made:

1. Antutu scores is a combined measurement of many benchmarks, which include CPU, IO, memory, various graphics performance parameters etc'. Not all of these are used frequently during normal phone's operation. Therefore Antutu score may be greatly impacted by a benchmark, which in reality uses only 2% of the CPU cycles, or vise versa. Speaking from experience and coming from years of using other android phones I did see things like IO schedulers, for example, give noticeable boost to performance, which may not be visible using a benchmark tool, for the reasons I just mentioned.

2. Battery drain isn't going to be reduced by half by using a smart algorithm, such as hybrid adaptive voltage scaling (HAVS), but it might achieve results close to that, if combined with trickle charging mod, which charges your battery to a full, not fake 100%, and can keep your battery at 100% charge for nearly an hour after it's unplugged and phone being used.

If you want to get autographs from people, who made those amazing kernel mods possible - you can start with netarchy , toastcfh and some other devs from Team Win gang, who made amazing things like hardware acceleration based HDMI mirroring possible

There are 10 kinds of people in the world: those who understand binary, and those who don't

Samsung Galaxy Note 3 N900T
Rom: WiCKED KitKat V1.1
Kernel: Stock 3.4.0
Recovery: TWRP V2.7.0.0
Baseband: N900TUVUCNB4
MicroSDXC: SanDisk Ultra 128GB
Battery: Stock 3200mAh Li-ion

Samsung Galaxy Note Pro 12.2 SM-P900
Rom: Stock rooted
Kernel: 3.4.39 Stock
Build: KOT49H.P900UEU1ANC5
Recovery: TWRP 2.7.0.2

Da_G
Old
Moderator Emeritus / Senior Recognized Developer - OP
Thanks Meter 1515

DONATE TO ME
Long weekend.. working on a new build now

HAVS is actually already built into the stock system. It scales according to demand from 3 separate units (the memory/bus subsystem, the GPU, and the CPU(s) )

The voltages you can set in system tuner/fauxclock/etc. only apply to the CPUs, once my app is out you'll be able to adjust GPU and L2 voltages/speeds as well.

The other governors etc. are coming shortly.. hopefully tonight
Support my work! The more phones I can get my hands on the more ROM goodness I can churn out. Like BUTTAH

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Da_G For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Apo11on
Old
Thanks Meter 109
It's a blessing to have you onboard. Just bought you a beer: 3UH01598G2087792E

Next time maybe I'll take that 1 hour drive to OC and buy you one in person

There are 10 kinds of people in the world: those who understand binary, and those who don't

ahmarchi
Old
Thanks Meter 163
Quote:
Originally Posted by Da_G View Post
Long weekend.. working on a new build now

HAVS is actually already built into the stock system. It scales according to demand from 3 separate units (the memory/bus subsystem, the GPU, and the CPU(s) )

The voltages you can set in system tuner/fauxclock/etc. only apply to the CPUs, once my app is out you'll be able to adjust GPU and L2 voltages/speeds as well.

The other governors etc. are coming shortly.. hopefully tonight
I was just about to ask where you been brudda. Can't wait for a fully made kernel by you

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using xda premium

pic when this was godly speeds about 6 years ago... REMEMBER WHAT BROUGHT US HERE

PROUD XDA MEMBER FOR 6 YEARS!!!!!

Current Device: Galaxy note 3 (AT&T)
previous:
galaxy note 2
galaxy note
motorola atrix
iphone 4
iphone 3s
htc touch hd
htc fuze ( htc pro)
att kizer

kimocal
Old
Thanks Meter 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by Da_G View Post
Awesome work Da_G! So the new kernel will enable Voltage Control options for Antutu's CPU Master Pro?

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	export_01.jpg
Views:	279
Size:	24.7 KB
ID:	924259  
Nexus 5

cbqfly
Old
Thanks Meter 8
Da_g so if havs is already implemented in the stock kernel, then if we statically undervolt the cpu does that mean it won't use havs? and then would it be better to not undervolt at all or does undervolting just limit the max voltage that havs will use?

thanx

Apo11on
Old
Thanks Meter 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbqfly View Post
Da_g so if havs is already implemented in the stock kernel, then if we statically undervolt the cpu does that mean it won't use havs? and then would it be better to not undervolt at all or does undervolting just limit the max voltage that havs will use?

thanx
Great question, I was wondering the same thing what would happen if you use an app like Antutu CPU Master to force static undervolting on kernel with HAVS. There is no doubt in my mind HAVS is better than static undervolting for a number of reasons, with stability being #1, but I'm also curious to know how such conflict would be handled.

ryanbmw51
Old
Thanks Meter 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by pathtologos View Post
Hey all, just picked up one of these beasts yesterday and flashed this kernel. I've got a kinda wierd reaction though. I'm not sure if its the kernel, or perhaps I removed an app I shouldn't have, but the phone got laggy as hell. The screen would have a hard time responding to my swipes. Another thing I did, was install adw ex as my launcher. any ideas, advice?

I restored to stock for now.

Thanks.
Are you sure you didn't mess with voltage settings and do something wrong there? Happened to me one time and started acting the same way you described yours. Anyway good luck

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using xda premium

dumbquestion
Old
Thanks Meter 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by twopumpchump View Post
So let me make sure I understand you right...if we get some other devs besides Da_G to work on the kernel then my antutu score will go up from 7788 to 10,124? And my battery would only drain .8% overnight instead of the 4% it drains overnight now? I am impressed, I would like to meet this new super dev and get his/her autograph!
Lol

Sent from my non-stock junk,.
Current: Samsung Galaxy Note 3, SM-N900A
Rooted Stock XPosed
Backup:Samsung Galaxy Note I717
BLACKSTAR BLACKJELLY BetB & SlimBean & JELLY-BANNED: JellyBAM 7.8.0
Samsung Infuse
[JellyBean][4.2.2]Unofficial CM10.1 - 5/19/2013 - Butter - MTD - OC Kernel

Formerly: All sorts of great crap since 1997, starting with the LG Phenom GP40M.
If not "well-read", well, read...