Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

[REF] Known identified battery drainers

OP Entropy512

2nd March 2012, 02:50 AM   |  #501  
Thanks Meter: 24

58 posts
I seem to have come across a wifi-associated battery drain issue on XWLA4 (CheckROM v6). With wifi turned off overnight, drain was less than 1%/hr. This is what happened after turning wifi on:

At the time of that screenshot, top two battery usage stats were Android OS at 47% and Display at 23% (1h10m screen on time).

Significant kernel wakelocks from BBS: svnet (2h3m), wlan_rx_wake (1h56m), wlan_rx_wake (1h26m), sec-batter-monitor (1h24m)

I've attached a zip containing dmesg.txt, wakelock.txt, and a 10 minute shark capture during which time the phone dropped 2%, so I'm hoping whatever the culprit is was caught in that time.

Concerning relevant installed apps: I do have both Words and Hanging with Friends installed. However, the drastic difference in battery drain between wifi on and wifi off makes me believe that there is something else at play here. If I'm wrong about this, then I apologize for wasting your time.

Any help to identify the cause of this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!
Attached Files
File Type: zip nitox drain.zip - [Click for QR Code] (77.6 KB, 5 views)
Last edited by nitox.n2o; 2nd March 2012 at 03:13 AM.
2nd March 2012, 03:40 AM   |  #502  
Thanks Meter: 57

330 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitox.n2o

I seem to have come across a wifi-associated battery drain issue on XWLA4 (CheckROM v6). With wifi turned off overnight, drain was less than 1%/hr. This is what happened after turning wifi on:

At the time of that screenshot, top two battery usage stats were Android OS at 47% and Display at 23% (1h10m screen on time).

Significant kernel wakelocks from BBS: svnet (2h3m), wlan_rx_wake (1h56m), wlan_rx_wake (1h26m), sec-batter-monitor (1h24m)

I've attached a zip containing dmesg.txt, wakelock.txt, and a 10 minute shark capture during which time the phone dropped 2%, so I'm hoping whatever the culprit is was caught in that time.

Concerning relevant installed apps: I do have both Words and Hanging with Friends installed. However, the drastic difference in battery drain between wifi on and wifi off makes me believe that there is something else at play here. If I'm wrong about this, then I apologize for wasting your time.

Any help to identify the cause of this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Have you tried freezing or uninstalling those apps and testing to see if you still have drain?

Sent from my SGH-I777 using XDA App
2nd March 2012, 04:06 AM   |  #503  

58 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karashta

Have you tried freezing or uninstalling those apps and testing to see if you still have drain?

Sent from my SGH-I777 using XDA App

I have not; I only just recently flashed CheckROM on my phone. I was running UnNamed 1.3.2 prior to this with the same apps installed, and did not have this problem.
2nd March 2012, 07:52 AM   |  #504  
Undisclosed
Thanks Meter: 442

1,467 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinW3

Just thought about this... I'm not sure if it's still a problem on this phone like it was on my Infuse 4G. But samsung's bloatware has this service that runs called DRM Content on the I777. It was called OmaDRMconfig2.exe or something like that on my Infuse. It keeps the screen from every actually going into a sleep mode and it drains your battery really quickly, not as bad as the KK6 bug, but still pretty bad. Unrooted users can go to Settings>Applications>Running Services. Find the "service" I mentioned above and Stop it. Be aware that any time you reboot your phone it will restart itself again. Rooted users, you can use TiBu to freeze it.

What about these:
DRM Content Launcher
DRM Protected Content Storage

I have them frozen as well, but will it cause problems?
2nd March 2012, 09:47 AM   |  #505  
Thanks Meter: 46

173 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeybear23

What about these:
DRM Content Launcher

I have never touched them. Freezing them should be fine though as long as you're not actually using the Samsung bloatware. The battery drainer is just the service that I mentioned. It does a check every 6-15 seconds to see if you have any content you shouldn't from them or something like that. Basically it keeps the screen from sleeping properly, your battery usage on an untouched phone would read 80-90% of the usage was coming from the display.

Media Hub is the app that uses all the DRM stuff if what I was told is accurate. I can definitely say for a fact, if they haven't fixed that "bug" you will most certainly see at least a little bit better battery life by stopping the service every time you reboot or freezing it via TiBu.

It was brutal on the Infuse especially with that giant 4.5" screen.
2nd March 2012, 01:15 PM   |  #506  
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter: 1,142

3,180 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeybear23

What about these:
DRM Content Launcher

I removed all of that DRM stuff a long time ago. Nothing happened.

Sent from my Galaxy S II (i777)
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Simba501 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
3rd March 2012, 03:28 AM   |  #507  
Thanks Meter: 109

209 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitox.n2o

It looks like you have broadcasts on your wireless that is waking the phone. If you use dropbox on your computer, turn off LAN sync. Also, if you know how, test out AP isolation on your router of it is supported and see if that helps.

Sent from my SGH-I897 using XDA App
The Following User Says Thank You to mcnutty For This Useful Post: [ View ]
4th March 2012, 10:16 AM   |  #508  

58 posts
I don't use dropbox, and unfortunately have no control over the network that I'm on so I can't run any network tests. Thanks for your feedback though!
6th March 2012, 07:45 PM   |  #509  
Flag Rio de Janeiro
Thanks Meter: 23

134 posts
More
Can someone help me? I attached the dump from shark, as asked in the first post.
BBS shows a high wifi_rx_wake.
The weirdest thing is that the excessive battery drain only happens when my PC is on.
Thanks.
Attached Files
File Type: txt sharkdump.txt - [Click for QR Code] (255.6 KB, 25 views)
6th March 2012, 08:36 PM   |  #510  
Thanks Meter: 1,945

3,434 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by theredsonja

Can someone help me? I attached the dump from shark, as asked in the first post.
BBS shows a high wifi_rx_wake.
The weirdest thing is that the excessive battery drain only happens when my PC is on.
Thanks.

Do some reading in the thread - you likely have one of several bad-for-traffic routers (do you have AT&T Uverse, for instance?) and/or you have Win 7 and it's broadcasting from a variety of reasons (Winamp, dropbox, some Windows services). I'll let Entropy (or anybody else, they're all better than I am at it) comment on the shark dump.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread