Galaxy Note 3 Lollipop Leak, Failed Find 5 Update – XDA TV

Android 5.0 Lollipop for the Samsung Galaxy Note 3 has been leaked! That and … more

Firefox OS Architecture and Collaboration Opportunities w/ Asa Dotzler – XDA:DevCon 2014

We were privileged to host many presentations … more

Unofficial Android 4.4 Lands on Three Mediatek Devices

For the last few years, devices with MTK systems-on-chip haven’t received much … more

MultiImagePicker Library for Multiple Image Selection

App developmentcan be done in more than a handful of ways. You can write every single … more

Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

[Q] To make standard browser NOT mobile??

OP tatuk

28th February 2012, 10:46 PM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 13

130 posts
More
Hello,
I remember there was a solution how to convert standard Acer browser from mobile to regular, but cannot find that.

Anybody helps?

Thank you very much.
29th February 2012, 01:15 AM   |  #2  
Ocoee, FL
Thanks Meter: 9

68 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by tatuk

Hello,
I remember there was a solution how to convert standard Acer browser from mobile to regular, but cannot find that.

Anybody helps?

Thank you very much.

IIRC there is a button to click "Desktop Sites" within Browser in the settings. I generally just use Firefox.

Sorry if I'm mistaken.

---------- Post added at 07:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:13 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by tatuk

Hello,

Anybody helps?

Thank you very much.

Actually found the proper way of doing it!

1. Open the Android Honeycomb browser on your tablet.

2. In the address bar, type: about:debug and press enter.

3. Now open the browser's settings by tapping the icon in the very top-right corner of your screen (it looks like four horizontal lines) and selecting "Settings" from the drop-down menu that appears.

4. On the left side of the screen, tap the section labeled "Debug."

5. On the right side of the screen, tap the item labeled "UAString," then select "Desktop."

6. Press the back button (in the very bottom-left corner of your screen) to exit the browser's settings.

7. In the browser's address bar, type: about:debug once more; this will disable debugging mode and return the browser to its normal state.

Found here: http://blogs.computerworld.com/17882...ser_user_agent
Last edited by kazea182; 29th February 2012 at 01:16 AM. Reason: Credits
29th February 2012, 03:12 AM   |  #3  
Flag Estevan
Thanks Meter: 17

88 posts
More
Excuse my ignorance, but how does this differ from just touching the menu tab in the top right corner, settings,advanced, viewing mode, & selecting desktop?
Last edited by Danny2; 29th February 2012 at 03:13 AM. Reason: made a mistake
29th February 2012, 02:45 PM   |  #4  
Thanks Meter: 20

100 posts
More
I don't have that in the settings on ICS...
2nd March 2012, 03:46 PM   |  #5  
Flag Tampa, FL
Thanks Meter: 59

1,159 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by haag498

I don't have that in the settings on ICS...

It's even easier in ICS. Open Browser, then when you press the menu button on the top right, one of the options is "Request Desktop Site". When you click it, it will permanently resolve itself as a non-mobile browser to all sites until you return to the menu and click the option again.
2nd March 2012, 05:31 PM   |  #6  
Flag Louisville
Thanks Meter: 524

2,453 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by fermunky

It's even easier in ICS. Open Browser, then when you press the menu button on the top right, one of the options is "Request Desktop Site". When you click it, it will permanently resolve itself as a non-mobile browser to all sites until you return to the menu and click the option again.

The above for me is only slightly true. Some sites i visit will reset this. I Found myself going back in there several times yesterday and toggling this back to desktop.Not sure if its just me experiencing this. But still Its not like its a complicated difficult thing to do.
6th March 2012, 01:38 AM   |  #7  
Ocoee, FL
Thanks Meter: 9

68 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny2

Excuse my ignorance, but how does this differ from just touching the menu tab in the top right corner, settings,advanced, viewing mode, & selecting desktop?

This shows how to gain access to the Android Browsers debugging, which has more options than the standard options. The UA string is the user agent string websites look for when determining which website to send you to, desktop or mobile. Changing that setting allows you to permanently set the browser to desktop mode.

This trick also works on ICS and is more permanent than clicking "Request desktop site"
6th March 2012, 07:42 AM   |  #8  
Thanks Meter: 6

57 posts
If running ICS, try using ICS Browser+. Contains all the goodness of the ICS browser, but let's you set the viewing mode to tablet or desktop. Nice!
7th March 2012, 04:46 PM   |  #9  
Flag New York City
Thanks Meter: 2

15 posts
More
Chrome Beta runs desktop versions usually, unless there's a site that blocks it.

i now default to ICS browser+ it's pretty great.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread