Shoot Troubles, Not Users w/ Alex Boag-Munroe – XDA:DevCon 2014

In presenting the various sessions from XDA:DevCon 2014, weve mainly … more

Oppo Releases ColorOS for the Find 5… Poorly

Almost every OEM has taken the liberty of creating its own incarnation of the Android OS. … more

XDA LG Development Challenge Winners

Almost 3months ago, we set out with LGto findtwo amazing apps that developers could put together … more

Wearable Apps w/ Andreas Göransson – XDA:DevCon 2014

XDA:DevCon 2014 in Manchester, UK featured quite a few interesting topics as … more

Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

Anyone ever see extmicro usb to usb a cables

OP jacobbones

29th February 2012, 09:38 AM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 7

127 posts
Trying to find out if there is such a thing as going from extmicro usb that the evo and flyer have to a usb type A (or any other normal usb).

Need a right angle to plug into tablet for car install and found that I can fit a microb angled cable into the tablet, but now need to take the car charges extusb and get an adapter to hook it all together.
29th February 2012, 11:21 AM   |  #2  
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter: 1,817

1,305 posts
You can just buy a regular micro USB extended cable. It fits in the flyer/view charge port.

Proprietary cable is the one on the right. Regular micro USB on left.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1330510821687.jpg
Views:	203
Size:	231.7 KB
ID:	924904   Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1330510836727.jpg
Views:	270
Size:	197.4 KB
ID:	924905  
29th February 2012, 11:45 AM   |  #3  
OP Senior Member

127 posts
I am installing the tablet in dash of a car.

I have the oem car charger because its only one with right voltage. But I need a angled usb for clearance issues. So im trying to figure a way to go from the charger EXTMICRO usb to the angled usb.

Searched around and have come up completely empty.
29th February 2012, 04:26 PM   |  #4  
Thanks Meter: 5

23 posts
I'm working on the same project and found this thread searching (again) for more info on extusb. The solution I came up with for getting enough clearance to use the port requires disassembly and if you plan on keeping the warranty, it's probably not a good option for you.

Anyway, my solution was to make some small right-angle brackets for the pcb that contains the extusb port. It requires material for the angle brackets and two small screws with nuts. See attached for a better idea.

I actually got the tablet installed and fairly well, but have since removed it to come up with better designs for charging, access to the power button (and possibly volume buttons) for recovery actions, turning the screen on/off with ignition, and potentially microphone relocation.

You may want to check out http://www.dealextreme.com/ for right-angle and other adapters if you don't want to open up the tablet.

PS: Protect that screen. The plastic is very soft and will easily scratch.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	P1090712.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	66.1 KB
ID:	925191  
29th February 2012, 06:52 PM   |  #5  
Thanks Meter: 13

311 posts
I don't follow.
I thought the HTC car charger was a plug with a USB port in it just like all the others. I thought this might help, but I probably have no idea what you're really looking for

http://www.amazon.com/Cables-Go-Righ.../dp/B005EV2LAM

If you *need* to use the 12pin micro usb that the view has (which from my understanding was only there for the docking station utility), then you might be out of luck unless you can build something yourself.
1st March 2012, 06:16 AM   |  #6  
OP Senior Member

127 posts
Im looking for a cable like you linked to, but then I need a way to connect the flyers car charger special usb tip into it. Only way I can think of is to carefully grind the corners so that it will fit into a micro B female connection.
But the chargers are not cheap and if I F*** it up Im out $30

On a kia soul forum where others are planning on doing the same install with the flyer, one guy has come accross a company that makes custom cables. He said that if We send the car charger to them they will replace the usb tip with a micro B 90 degree angle for $25.

So A person is sending the charger to them to have it done and is going to let us know how it comes out.
1st March 2012, 03:14 PM   |  #7  
Thanks Meter: 5

23 posts
jacobbones, can you provide a link to the kia soul flyer thread?
2nd March 2012, 01:25 AM   |  #8  
OP Senior Member

127 posts
Yes, here it is.

http://www.soulhamsters.com/forum/in...t-199-shipped/

Talk about the custom job is near the end of the posts
3rd March 2012, 08:45 AM   |  #9  
East Texas
Thanks Meter: 73

806 posts
Donate to Me
More
opening up the car charger and replacing the cable is incredibly simple. I have done it so many times, I can probably do it blindfolded. I actually had to go and replace the OEM chargers cable with the USB cable that it came with because my damn dog chewed threw the charger cable. Didn't come back very pretty, but it works, that charger has got the be the best charger built I have ever seen, incredibly difficult to open, but I'm sure the car charger is a lot easier to open, you just need a soldering gun and it should be easy.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using xda premium
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1330760663699.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	245.3 KB
ID:	929299  

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread