Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,738,558 Members 45,540 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Netflix audio out of sync when using Bluetooth

Tip us?

ubergeekseven
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 3
Default Netflix audio out of sync when using Bluetooth

I am running the desensed honeycomb ROM and have no issues with the audio when using plug in headphones or the devices speakers. But using Bluetooth headphones with Netflix, I get a five to ten second lag on the audio. Is anyone else having this issue? If so, is there a fix. It seems that the tablet is working rarely hard trying to keep up. Maybe its underpowered?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using xda premium

supac
Old
Thanks Meter 26
I am also experiencing the same problem, i called netflix to let them know of the issue. I am on a Galaxy Note. you should call them at 1-800-585-7265 so they can be aware of the issue

cldot
Old
(Last edited by cldot; 29th February 2012 at 09:27 PM.) Reason: typo...
Thanks Meter 1
I think this issue isn't related to Netflix. I experienced the same delay (~3sec.) thru bluetooth on all my Android devices (Liquid E, i9000, xperia play, atrix, ideapad k1)

Try watching a video on the stock video player... I noticed a delay in that too (on the Atrix)

My car bluetooth is really annoying seeing that I press the skip button and have to wait before it actually skips to the next track...

Here are some threads showcasing the same issue:
forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=683073
forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1347508

ubergeekseven
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 3
I haven't had any issues until this device. I have a transformer, galaxy tab 10.1, razr, thunderbolt, incredible, og droid. I thought that perhaps the CPU isnt strong enough. It struggles just trying to play it without Bluetooth. Does this tablet support hardware acceleration?

Sent from my HTC Flyer P510e using xda premium

wez5671
Old
(Last edited by wez5671; 1st April 2012 at 02:45 AM.) Reason: incorrect version numbers
Thanks Meter 0
I've had similar issues with Netflix on a Galaxy 8.9, Galaxy 7.0, and an Acer Iconia A100. The BT headphones I have work great with my iPhone and iPad -- no lag whatsoever. It hasn't been just the Netflix, but virtually all video apps.

When I did pair my BT headphones there were 2 ways to pair it (headset or headphones). After I found that setting, it dropped the lag from about 5 secs down to about 1 second. Still too disconcerting to watch a video though.

The Acer Iconia A100 has been the best so far. It actually played YouTube vids without a lag (the through the app and the browser).

I thought the issue was 3.0/3.1, but Iconia is 3.2. I'm going to see if ICS makes any difference.

(Side Note: I found that at least one of the Galaxy tabs uses the same BT chip as the iPad so that's probably not the culprit.)

DigitalMD
Old
(Last edited by DigitalMD; 1st April 2012 at 06:27 AM.)
Thanks Meter 603
its not the CPU or the ROM, or the app and it won't be fixed in ICS. Its a artifact of the Advanced Audio Distribution Profile (A2DP) Bluetooth protocol. It buffers a couple of seconds of audio before it starts transmitting because when it was specd. they intended it only for music playback. Now it is pressed into service for video audio and there is no way to sync the playback. Perhaps more advanced players will arrive on the scene someday and allow for adjusting the timing. something like VLC maybe, but for now, you can't fix it.
Days of open internet are almost over as the biggies look for more revenue streaming from your wallet..Soon the internet will be a shell of its current self. With the government wanting their taxes and the big ISPs planning to charge extra for access to specific content (like facebook) and throttle your speed.

supac
Old
Thanks Meter 26
To me it only affects crackle and netflix. By the way other devices like galaxy nexus does not have this problem along with other phones. What ever it is it must be our bt drivers of our Notes

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Tapatalk

DigitalMD
Old
Thanks Meter 603
The built in codecs "attempt" to compensate for those formats that they support. Since Netflix is propitiatory, that does not work for Netflix, its an application problem.
Days of open internet are almost over as the biggies look for more revenue streaming from your wallet..Soon the internet will be a shell of its current self. With the government wanting their taxes and the big ISPs planning to charge extra for access to specific content (like facebook) and throttle your speed.

supac
Old
Thanks Meter 26
Hat makes sense. I called netflix and tried to tell them of the issue

supac
Old
(Last edited by supac; 13th April 2012 at 05:02 AM.)
Thanks Meter 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalMD View Post
its not the CPU or the ROM, or the app and it won't be fixed in ICS. Its a artifact of the Advanced Audio Distribution Profile (A2DP) Bluetooth protocol. It buffers a couple of seconds of audio before it starts transmitting because when it was specd. they intended it only for music playback. Now it is pressed into service for video audio and there is no way to sync the playback. Perhaps more advanced players will arrive on the scene someday and allow for adjusting the timing. something like VLC maybe, but for now, you can't fix it.
By the way your explanation is bunk.bunk.bunk.

I upgraded to ICS and the out of sync is no longer there. Netflix is same exact version. sorry dr. quack. I knew your explanation was fishy