Document the Story of Your Social Life with 8tory

The different forms of social media are growing every day. It’s hard to imagine a day … more

Make Calling Your Loved Ones Easier and Cheaper this Diwali

Diwali, or Deepawali as some Indians call it, is the pride and joy of Indian … more

Big Android BBQ 5.0 Recap – XDA TV

This fifth annual Big Android BBQ has come and gone. The speakers have spoke, the sponsors have … more

Microsoft to Counter “OK Google” with Bing Torque

When Microsoft is making apps for Android, users should be aware that something … more
Thread Deleted

Hacking the Kin to Run Another OS

OP spunker88

8th December 2010, 12:20 AM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Flag Watertown, NY
Thanks Meter: 333

1,306 posts
More
Now that Verizon has brought back the Kin, even though it will probably be short lived I am wondering if we'll see another OS ever working on it. Kin OS is based on Windows CE, so I am wondering if it would be possible to get Windows CE or Windows Mobile running on this thing. Im guessing its lack of popularity is what has kept development off it. It would be so sweet is somebody could get a real OS with 3rd party apps on this thing, since its now exempt from a data plan at Verizon, but it has wifi and smartphone like specs. Im not holding my breath, but haven't seen anything about hacking the Kin on Google searches, so Im wondering if anybody here knows.
23rd December 2010, 01:19 AM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 1

13 posts
check out:

http://social.answers.microsoft.com/...5-1865b595d55d

gotta copy and paste into ur URL bar, im not allowed to add links yet.

3rd post suggests the same idea, if we get enough people together, im sure we can get the source code and get our KINs to reach their pull potential by cracking or simply putting another OS on
Last edited by NeoS; 25th December 2010 at 01:01 PM. Reason: fixed url
16th January 2011, 12:52 AM   |  #3  
OP Senior Member
Flag Watertown, NY
Thanks Meter: 333

1,306 posts
More
I don't know much about hacking these things. But in an ideal world I could see somebody getting WM 6.5 running on this thing with cellular working, somehow pulling the required driver data from the current CE derived OS.
14th April 2011, 04:17 AM   |  #4  
Thanks Meter: 0

1 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by spunker88

I don't know much about hacking these things. But in an ideal world I could see somebody getting WM 6.5 running on this thing with cellular working, somehow pulling the required driver data from the current CE derived OS.

did anyone find anything?
15th May 2011, 04:02 PM   |  #5  

2 posts
Just Had A Thought
Verizon Altered the OS From Kin 2 To Kin 2M! That Means They Know How To write to the phone! We Now need to BEG verizon developers to try and fork over how they wrote to the phone.
17th May 2011, 07:01 PM   |  #6  

35 posts
Right now all support for the phone has been dropped from all sides really. MS nor sharp will give anytihng out & verizon plays the stupid card.

at the moment there are no working hacks or anything for the phone since no one has seemed to find out how to write to it yet. There is a users on the Forums Kinuser1 who claims that he has been able to write to the phone but his grandfather died so he is not on to show Prood or claims of that yet.

Hopefully someone such as him or Kussak who jsut got his phone today will finally get this stupid OS hacked.
5th February 2012, 01:45 AM   |  #7  

5 posts
I tried. Everytime i tried to install android using cm7 (touchpad) id see some coding but it would stop shut off and turn on to eitheer batter charge or Hold down power r b bullS .nd tht wont work. Buz the phone i wiped. So i get a warrenty replacement from verizon. But my warrenty ended 1week ago so no more phone breaking.
5th March 2012, 07:30 PM   |  #8  

2 posts
More
Until recently, I enjoyed the Bing app (It has changed). Also have the Twitter app. Not really apps, mobile web sites. So Zune would be about the only app. Any rational reason why?
I would really like to be able to take screen shots - is that too much to ask?
Regis
14th March 2012, 03:21 PM   |  #9  
Houston, TX
Thanks Meter: 1

22 posts
More
Question
Quote:
Originally Posted by cj2009cj

I tried. Everytime i tried to install android using cm7 (touchpad) id see some coding but it would stop shut off and turn on to eitheer batter charge or Hold down power r b bullS .nd tht wont work. Buz the phone i wiped. So i get a warrenty replacement from verizon. But my warrenty ended 1week ago so no more phone breaking.

how did you even get started to the (coding)?
28th March 2012, 06:32 PM   |  #10  
Flag Redmond
Thanks Meter: 843

928 posts
Donate to Me
More
That would be nice HOWEVER. The KIN is not clos yet to a crack although John and I have found some very helpful info lately and I have sparked intrest in the Dev forum for the KIN Two. Any and all info will be there. Dont really on the KIN One forum.

---------- Post added at 10:32 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:30 AM ----------

rpw0 you can take screenshots. To do this hold down the camer button nd the home button at the same time and quickly release. Your screenshot will then show up in pictures.

Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread