5,604,631 Members 41,744 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Downloading Tablet apks off market running cm7?

Tip us?

dima0988
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0

DONATE TO ME
Default [Q] Downloading Tablet apks off market running cm7?

Hey everybody.. tried to find the answer to my question but seem to have no luck. I have nook color and atrix 4g. At&t has the app called *att messages* that basically is something similar to imessages for apple. I can even continue my conversation from tablet, but only thing is that nook color runs on cm7, which is a phone os,thus tablet part of android market is not available. Is there some way to trick that? Because I would love to be able to run tablet apps on my nook?

thanks

votinh
Old
(Last edited by votinh; 10th March 2012 at 02:58 PM.)
Thanks Meter 414
Since you already downloaded and installed on your A4g, you should have the .apk file.
Grab it from your phone, "magically" transfer it to your NC then install from there.

When I said "magically", I meant do whatever kind of method you feel comfortable with to xfer the .apk to your NC.
a. email it or
b. upload to dropbox from A4g then download to yr NC or
c. using usb cable or

so on, ... there are a lot of ways to accomplish.
Official CM10.1 Nightly @ 1000MHz NOOKcolor
Offiical CM11 KK Nightly on Kindle Fire 1st-Gen
Rooted Kindle Fire HD 8.9" w/ Nova Launcher
Virgin JB 4.3 on Sony Xperia Tablet Z
Stock ROM KK 4.4.2 on LG-D800

Virgin Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 10.1 - LOST
Slimbean 8.1 on Galaxy S2 i777 - LOST

dima0988
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by votinh View Post
Since you already downloaded and installed on your A4g, you should have the .apk file.
Grab it from your phone, "magically" transfer it to your NC then install from there.

When I said "magically", I meant do whatever kind of method you feel comfortable with to xfer the .apk to your NC.
a. email it or
b. upload to dropbox from A4g then download to yr NC or
c. using usb cable or

so on, ... there are a lot of ways to accomplish.
I understand that, and that would not be the problem, except the apk is tablet specific, so its a different version for tablets which wont allow me to download or install it on my atrix. Also atrix's apk wont work because phone apk requires 3g connection in order to pull data

votinh
Old
Thanks Meter 414
Alright, I'll try to help but either I am clueless what you talked about or you are really confusing about it.
Get back to the first post, you said you have the app installed on your phone A4g, then you wanted to install it on your NC. You said the app is tablet app while it is on your phone? and CM7 is a phone OS while running on your NC, which is a tablet, not a phone?
Your next post, you said it's tablet-specific app? What does that really mean?
It's only work on a specific tablet? then how was it on your phone A4g?
Last, if you already confirmed that the app requires 3g connection and you should know that the NC is NOT the phone, hence no 3g connection, then why you want to install it on your NC????
Official CM10.1 Nightly @ 1000MHz NOOKcolor
Offiical CM11 KK Nightly on Kindle Fire 1st-Gen
Rooted Kindle Fire HD 8.9" w/ Nova Launcher
Virgin JB 4.3 on Sony Xperia Tablet Z
Stock ROM KK 4.4.2 on LG-D800

Virgin Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 10.1 - LOST
Slimbean 8.1 on Galaxy S2 i777 - LOST

vegeta_2123
Old
Thanks Meter 2
you should try syncsms tho it requires a data connection on bothe devices bit wifi or cell sevice

stolenmoment
Old
Thanks Meter 43
A fundamental question is: what makes it a tablet app? Honeycomb/ICS only? If so, you won't get tabletness from your NC under CM7.

You would, however, if you upgraded your NC to CM9/ICS. See other threads in this forum.

Also, as dima pointed out, if the app will only use the phone radio for its data (and not WiFi), the NC can't do that, period, no matter what software you're running.

dima0988
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by votinh View Post
Alright, I'll try to help but either I am clueless what you talked about or you are really confusing about it.
Get back to the first post, you said you have the app installed on your phone A4g, then you wanted to install it on your NC. You said the app is tablet app while it is on your phone? and CM7 is a phone OS while running on your NC, which is a tablet, not a phone?
Your next post, you said it's tablet-specific app? What does that really mean?
It's only work on a specific tablet? then how was it on your phone A4g?
Last, if you already confirmed that the app requires 3g connection and you should know that the NC is NOT the phone, hence no 3g connection, then why you want to install it on your NC????
Sorry for all the confusion. Let me clarify:
Atrix is running on NottachTrix 1.2.5
and NC is running on CM7 nightly

AT&T has 2 apps in Android market with the same name: first one for cellphones and second one for tablets. (can't post links, due to very few posts on xda)

I can download and install first one on my atrix and it works like a charm; but it wont work on NC since it requires 3G connection. The second one wont download on atrix, simply because Market tells me it is not compatible with my atrix.

When I go to my NC and try to download second app, which should be compatible, its not allowing me to download and install it, since CM7 on nook is identified by market as a phone OS, hence its saying its incompatible.

So the whole question is -is there a way to trick market into thinking i have tablet OS on my Nook so I could download that app? messing around with build.prop didnt do me any good

dima0988
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0

DONATE TO ME
from what it seemed like, it looked at a device Id or something, i dont think there were any OS requirements..

Will end up probably installing CM9 and see how that works...

About me pointing out about phone data usage by app, it was only the case with phone app not the tablet one, and it only uses it for initial setup..
Quote:
Originally Posted by stolenmoment View Post
A fundamental question is: what makes it a tablet app? Honeycomb/ICS only? If so, you won't get tabletness from your NC under CM7.

You would, however, if you upgraded your NC to CM9/ICS. See other threads in this forum.

Also, as dima pointed out, if the app will only use the phone radio for its data (and not WiFi), the NC can't do that, period, no matter what software you're running.

dima0988
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegeta_2123 View Post
you should try syncsms tho it requires a data connection on bothe devices bit wifi or cell sevice
thanks, I'll check it out

TheWalkingDead
Old
Thanks Meter 6
I'm having the same problem. I'm running the latest Cyanogenmod nightly build for my Nook Color and althought my NC is a tablet and is described as such in the "setting>about" screen, I'm unable to download any tablet apps from the android market (currently called google play). Tablet apps are those which are designed for for the larger screen size and the sometimes better resolution depending on make & model. So, is this because Cyanogenmod 7 is based off of Android Gingerbread 2.3? Is there a way around it withought flashing to CM9/ICS?

Sent from my NookColor using XDA