Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,810,679 Members 41,406 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] OC 1.2Ghz NC vs 800Mhz NT

Tip us?
 
fpga_guy
Old
#1  
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 27
Posts: 323
Join Date: Feb 2011
Default [Q] OC 1.2Ghz NC vs 800Mhz NT

I have a NC 1.4.1 rooted with MN 5.x with OC to 1.2Ghz. I am tempted to buy a 16GB NT. How does performance of a 1.2 Ghz OC NC with 512MB compare to a 0.8Ghz NT with 1gb ram?
 
jdpdata
Old
#2  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 205
Posts: 594
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Los Angeles
I thought NT comes with Dual Core 1ghz proccessor.
It will be way faster than NC. Price dropped to $199 is tempting indeed, but i'd wait for Asus Memo 370 quad core slated for only $250.

Sent from my CM9 Nook
The Following User Says Thank You to jdpdata For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
alexwick
Old
#3  
alexwick's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 6
Posts: 195
Join Date: Feb 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdpdata View Post
i thought nt comes with dual core 1ghz proccessor.
It will be way faster than nc. Price dropped to $199 is tempting indeed, but i'd wait for asus memo 370 quad core slated for only $250.

Sent from my cm9 nook
that things sounds rad !!!!
 
votinh
Old
#4  
votinh's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 426
Posts: 2,204
Join Date: Jul 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdpdata View Post
I thought NT comes with Dual Core 1ghz proccessor.
It will be way faster than NC. Price dropped to $199 is tempting indeed, but i'd wait for Asus Memo 370 quad core slated for only $250.

Sent from my CM9 Nook
I'm waiting for it too but honestly, I think it's too good to be true and since the announcement (could well be a false mouth), ASUS has been pretty quiet on it, no info, no update info at all. The term "Memo 370T" completely disappears.
Official CM10.1 Nightly @ 1000MHz NOOKcolor
Offiical CM11 KK Nightly on Kindle Fire 1st-Gen
Rooted Kindle Fire HD 8.9" w/ Nova Launcher
Virgin JB 4.3 on Sony Xperia Tablet Z
Rooted stock-ROM KK 4.4.2 on LG-D800

Virgin Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 10.1 - LOST
Slimbean 8.1 on Galaxy S2 i777 - LOST
 
fpga_guy
Old
#5  
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 27
Posts: 323
Join Date: Feb 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdpdata View Post
I thought NT comes with Dual Core 1ghz proccessor. It will be way faster than NC.
Dual core comes into play with multi-thread operations. When browsing the web with nothing in the background, a NC 1.2Ghz OC will be faster than a 1Ghz NT.
 
bobstro
Old
#6  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 138
Posts: 479
Join Date: Jun 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by fpga_guy View Post
Dual core comes into play with multi-thread operations. When browsing the web with nothing in the background, a NC 1.2Ghz OC will be faster than a 1Ghz NT.
I can't offer up any scientific testing data, but I can tell you that my wife's NT is much quicker web browsing using Opera than my NC overclocked to 1.2 GHz. Presumably, Opera is taking advantage of those multithreading capabilities.

It's noticeably smoother overall. The NC will tend to "get busy" and just hang until an operation completes, where the NT keeps plugging.

All subjective, of course, and YMMV. If it had been as hackable, I'd have gone with the NT.
 
boomn
Old
(Last edited by boomn; 5th March 2012 at 08:25 PM.)
#7  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 83
Posts: 272
Join Date: Feb 2011
The Nook Tablet's OMAP4 CPU includes many significant improvements over the Nook Color's OMAP3 CPU so direct GHz comparisons won't be too meaningful.

The OMAP4 is built around Cortex-A9 ARM cores that are a generation beyond the Cortex-A8 ARM cores in the NC's OMAP3. Highlights include out-of-order execution, speculative execution, superscalar architecture, and much more. Also, the OMAP4 uses LPDDR2 vs LPDDR in the OMAP3. Out-of-order execution alone is pretty significant, and there's a good reason every Intel CPU since the original Pentium has had it. Well, every CPU except their Atom line and it's one of the reasons the Atom CPUs feel slower than an underclocked Core CPU
 
fpga_guy
Old
#8  
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 27
Posts: 323
Join Date: Feb 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by boomn View Post
The Nook Tablet's OMAP4 CPU includes many significant improvements over the Nook Color's OMAP3 CPU so direct GHz comparisons won't be too meaningful.

The OMAP4 is built around Cortex-A9 ARM cores that are a generation beyond the Cortex-A8 ARM cores in the NC's OMAP3. Highlights include out-of-order execution, speculative execution, superscalar architecture, and much more. Also, the OMAP4 uses LPDDR2 vs LPDDR in the OMAP3. Out-of-order execution alone is pretty significant, and there's a good reason every Intel CPU since the original Pentium has had it. Well, every CPU except their Atom line and it's one of the reasons the Atom CPUs feel slower than an underclocked Core CPU
Thanks.. exactly what I was looking for. Should have looked up the specs on the cores myself.


Quote:
Originally Posted by bobstro View Post
I can't offer up any scientific testing data, but I can tell you that my wife's NT is much quicker web browsing using Opera than my NC overclocked to 1.2 GHz. Presumably, Opera is taking advantage of those multithreading capabilities.

It's noticeably smoother overall. The NC will tend to "get busy" and just hang until an operation completes, where the NT keeps plugging.

All subjective, of course, and YMMV. If it had been as hackable, I'd have gone with the NT.
Since the NT has been rooted, why isn't it as hackable? Has the boot loader been cracked?
 
jdpdata
Old
#9  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 205
Posts: 594
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Los Angeles
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexwick View Post
that things sounds rad !!!!
If you think that sound RAD, take a look at this...just rumor at this point, but we can dream can't we?

http://www.droid-life.com/2012/03/05...egra-3-inside/
 
bobstro
Old
#10  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 138
Posts: 479
Join Date: Jun 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by fpga_guy View Post
Since the NT has been rooted, why isn't it as hackable? Has the boot loader been cracked?
It certainly wasn't when I made my buying decision, and unless I'm mistaken, you can't load CM onto eMMC (yet). Thanks to the dedicated crew at XDA and other sites, it's getting there.

Frankly, though, the NT has lost its lustre for me. I was hoping for a faster, smoother NC, but instead B&N went the lockdown route. Now that the Samsung Galaxy Tab 7 Plus can be had for under $300, and more options are on the way, I'm just going to wait a few months for a full-on Android tablet and be done with B&N's nonsense.

It's a shame, since I really like the NT hardware. I just don't want to be arguing with B&N over who gets to control the device I've paid for if I want to keep it updated.

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes