Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,729,749 Members 51,151 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

How to Root the Sony Tablet S

Tip us?

rfreeman
Old
Thanks Meter 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by obicom View Post
Kernel builds > 8 currently not rootable.
Unfortunately Sony closed the leak in the latest version build#9 and build#10 and I see no progress of the developer side to find and/or publish a new root tool.
It sounds bad but this is the current status. :(
I have 2.6.36.3 integ-build@build9 #1, rooted with your "Sony Tablet all in one sony tool"

Aspire4520
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by rfreeman View Post
I have 2.6.36.3 integ-build@build9 #1, rooted with your "Sony Tablet all in one sony tool"
Nice.

it did not work with me. (build10)

Judah001
Old
Thanks Meter 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by obicom View Post
Kernel builds > 8 currently not rootable.
Unfortunately Sony closed the leak in the latest version build#9 and build#10 and I see no progress of the developer side to find and/or publish a new root tool.
It sounds bad but this is the current status. :(
Maybe we should reach out to Djrbliss asking if he can find a way. I have visited his site several times looking at the devices he roots and it seems way too easy for him. Could we possibly start a thread with info on the unrootable builds? I am not nearly smart enough to understand the technical piece of it but I can help coordinate it. I know thomas.raines has been working on a custom recovery for the tab but has been unable to reroot his devise after reflashing an unrootable build. Any thoughts?
Samsung Epic 4G Touch Rooted!

Sony Tablet S1 Rooted!

If I actually managed to help and not confuse the hell out of you donít forget to hit the thanks button

Schrammi
Old
Thanks Meter 3

DONATE TO ME
I have build 9 #1 and i have root since the first tool was published.. So how's this possible?
iPad 3 - Kindle Fire - Surface RT

thomas.raines
Old
Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 3253

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by Judah001 View Post
Maybe we should reach out to Djrbliss asking if he can find a way. I have visited his site several times looking at the devices he roots and it seems way too easy for him. Could we possibly start a thread with info on the unrootable builds? I am not nearly smart enough to understand the technical piece of it but I can help coordinate it. I know thomas.raines has been working on a custom recovery for the tab but has been unable to reroot his devise after reflashing an unrootable build. Any thoughts?
Yes, we do need someone who can figure out to exploit the krenel...
Remember, the thanks button is free, but it doesn't hurt to show a dev your appreciation by using the donate button...
My Works
SGS4G: Gummy Mutt, Original Lightning Zap, Lightning Zap Kernel, Gremlin Remover
Blaze 4G: Lightning Zap, ICS 1-Click Starter, OOPS, Quick Recovery, Lightning Zap Kernel
LG Nitro: Lightning Zap
Skyrocket: Lightning Zap! kernel
E4GT: Lightning Zap! kernel
Phone Support for the Lost

Nesquick95
Old
Thanks Meter 46
Default Mail to M. Rosenberg

I've sent a mail today to M. Rosenberg, asking for some help :

"

Hello M. Rosenberg,

As an owner of a Sony Tablet S, I've successfuly used your exploit to gain root.
Unfortunatly, I bricked the device while deleting Sony bloatware on it. The tablet went back
to life after an OTA update that lead it from a #8 kernel build to a #10, no more rootable.

I've try to understand why and discovered that the /log directory now belongs to system group
so ADB could not write in it anymore. I've noticed that /dev/log directory, writable by ADB may
have something to do with the logging process you used and try a lot of (silly) things to adapt
your script without success.

So I've take a look at your other exploits and tought that the one provided for the LG Thrill / Optimus 3D
may work for the Sony Tablet. I've modified your script to match /dev/block/mmcblk0p3 and patched your block
binary to do so but the program failed to open the block device.

We are some people at XDA forum in the same situation, waiting for something to happend about root and
the newly released #10 kernel... It will be very kind from you to find some time for working again on the
Sony Tablet S, giving us some idea, some trick or... a new fully working script !

I'll publish this mail in XDA forum and join the mounts of the Sony Tablet kernel #10...

Best regards,

Nesquick95

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
rootfs / rootfs ro,relatime 0 0
tmpfs /dev tmpfs rw,nosuid,relatime,mode=755 0 0
devpts /dev/pts devpts rw,relatime,mode=600 0 0
proc /proc proc rw,relatime 0 0
sysfs /sys sysfs rw,relatime 0 0
debugfs /sys/kernel/debug debugfs rw,relatime 0 0
/dev/block/mmcblk0p1 /configs ext2 ro,relatime 0 0
none /acct cgroup rw,relatime,cpuacct 0 0
tmpfs /mnt/asec tmpfs rw,relatime,mode=755,gid=1000 0 0
tmpfs /mnt/obb tmpfs rw,relatime,mode=755,gid=1000 0 0
none /dev/cpuctl cgroup rw,relatime,cpu 0 0
/dev/block/mmcblk0p3 /system ext4 ro,relatime,barrier=1,data=ordered 0 0
/dev/block/mmcblk0p10 /data ext4 rw,nosuid,nodev,noatime,barrier=1,data=ordered 0 0
/dev/block/mmcblk0p4 /cache ext4 rw,nosuid,nodev,noatime,barrier=1,data=ordered 0 0
/dev/block/mmcblk0p9 /log ext4 rw,nosuid,nodev,noatime,barrier=1,data=ordered 0 0
/dev/block/svold/179:17 /mnt/sdcard2 vfat rw,dirsync,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,uid=1000,g id=1015,fmask=0702,dmask=0702,allow_utime=0020,cod epage=cp437,iocharset=iso8859-1,shortname=mixed,batch_sync,utf8,comp_uni,avoid_d link,errors=remount-ro 0 0
/dev/block/vold/179:11 /mnt/sdcard vfat rw,dirsync,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,uid=1000,g id=1015,fmask=0702,dmask=0702,allow_utime=0020,cod epage=cp437,iocharset=iso8859-1,shortname=mixed,batch_sync,utf8,comp_uni,avoid_d link,errors=remount-ro 0 0
/dev/block/vold/179:11 /mnt/secure/asec vfat rw,dirsync,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,uid=1000,g id=1015,fmask=0702,dmask=0702,allow_utime=0020,cod epage=cp437,iocharset=iso8859-1,shortname=mixed,batch_sync,utf8,comp_uni,avoid_d link,errors=remount-ro 0 0
tmpfs /mnt/sdcard/.android_secure tmpfs ro,relatime,size=0k,mode=000 0 0
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Nesquick95 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

agc93
Old
Thanks Meter 82

DONATE TO ME
Hi all,

This could just be me or may have been mentioned before, but I couldn't find it with search.

I successfully rooted my Tablet S with this exploit (directly, not through condi's tool) and my last rooted device (a Galaxy Tab) allowed me to remount the system partition as r-w through adb using "adb remount". On this tablet, this command returns Operation Not Permitted.

Has my root not fully worked? Or is this tablet just a bit more finicky with adb then others?

Thanks,
--agc93----------------

~~~~~~Sony Tablet S~~~~~
~~Rooted Android 3.2.1r2~~~

"The command-line: stopping noobs dead since...forever" (CS351, 2011)

If I've helped out at all, please hit the THANKS button!!

thomas.raines
Old
Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 3253

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by agc93 View Post
Hi all,

This could just be me or may have been mentioned before, but I couldn't find it with search.

I successfully rooted my Tablet S with this exploit (directly, not through condi's tool) and my last rooted device (a Galaxy Tab) allowed me to remount the system partition as r-w through adb using "adb remount". On this tablet, this command returns Operation Not Permitted.

Has my root not fully worked? Or is this tablet just a bit more finicky with adb then others?

Thanks,
Try mounting they busybox
mount -o remount rw /system

Sent from my BAMF SGH-T959V!
Remember, the thanks button is free, but it doesn't hurt to show a dev your appreciation by using the donate button...
My Works
SGS4G: Gummy Mutt, Original Lightning Zap, Lightning Zap Kernel, Gremlin Remover
Blaze 4G: Lightning Zap, ICS 1-Click Starter, OOPS, Quick Recovery, Lightning Zap Kernel
LG Nitro: Lightning Zap
Skyrocket: Lightning Zap! kernel
E4GT: Lightning Zap! kernel
Phone Support for the Lost

condi
Old
Thanks Meter 879

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by agc93 View Post
Hi all,

Thanks,
Code:
mount -o rw,remount -t ext4 /dev/block/mmcblk0p2 /system
or if you need via adb then:
Code:
adb shell "su -c 'mount -o rw,remount -t ext4 /dev/block/mmcblk0p2 /system'"
br
condi
Sony Tablet S/P/Xperia:
S.onyXT.S v1.0 [UNBRICKER] - Xperia Tab S auto unbrick tool!
S.onyTablet.S v6.5 [ALLinONE] - root for ICS, JB!
S.onyTablet.S v3.0 [FLASHER]
[FW R5A WIFI/3G] NEW! custom preROOTed newest stock nbx03 R5A with R1A's recovery!

Files mirror - My Google Drive

If u found this post useful, click on the 'thanks' button...
Like my work? Feel free to buy a pack of pampers for my baby

sapphire88
Old
(Last edited by sapphire88; 10th March 2012 at 01:14 PM.)
Thanks Meter 22
my tablet just came back from service (no warranty problem), but it came with build#10 and it says that it is unrootable for now...

Edit: wait wait wait...today when i checked my tablet version it says build@build6 #1...how can it change??

FANTASTIC! just as i said, my tablet changed it's version from build 10 to build 6 and i can root now!! believe me, i really don't know how...