Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,785,416 Members 39,230 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Note from Globatron on S-OFF OTA upgrades.

Tip us?

klaust58
Old
Thanks Meter 43
Hello,

first, i'm really new with the Flyer and all the terms like s-on/off, ruu, cwm and so on.
Previously i used a rooted Archos and now i like to use some of those apps which requiers root on the flyer too (Titanium backup,...)
I'm playing around with GingerBread for some time on the Flyer and upgraded yesterday to HoneyComb with the regular update process (OTA).

So...i *only* want to have root-access on the standard honeycomb.
I read many threads here (thanks a lot, great work!) and as i understand, i only have to do the steps 1) to 8) from the procerure described here: Downgrade from HC beta leaks or official HC OTA to Gingerbread. Am i right?

I'm already registerd at htcdev an initiated the unlock-process for the bootloader - but currently don't execute it, becaus i'm not really sure, if i get the right version(?). At htcdev i can choose between Fyler (TUR) and Flyer (WWE). I choose WWE but don't know if that was ok....is it?

Also i played a littel bit with fastboot to get some information:
D:\Java\Android>fastboot getvar all

(bootloader) version-bootloader: 1.11.0011
(bootloader) version-baseband: 3822.10.08.07_M
(bootloader) version-cpld: None
(bootloader) version-microp: 0950
(bootloader) version-main: 3.55.207.1
(bootloader) serialno: HT17DT400048
(bootloader) imei: 354672041492669
(bootloader) product: flyer
(bootloader) platform: HBOOT-7230
(bootloader) modelid: PG4110000
(bootloader) cidnum: O2___102
(bootloader) battery-status: good
(bootloader) battery-voltage: 3957mV
(bootloader) partition-layout: Generic
(bootloader) security: on
(bootloader) build-mode: SHIP
(bootloader) boot-mode: FASTBOOT
(bootloader) commitno-bootloader: f0e1145e
(bootloader) hbootpreupdate: 12
(bootloader) gencheckpt: 0

Ok. Please can anybody point me in the right direction - or is it really so easy as described with the steps 1) to 8) to get root on the Honeycomb-Flyer with HBOOT-1.11.0011?

Thanks a lot for reading.

Klaus

asero
Old
Thanks Meter 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by klaust58 View Post
So...i *only* want to have root-access on the standard honeycomb.
Your objective is the same as mine (pure stock w/ root access).
And the process is as you have concluded (steps 1-8 only).

Quote:
I'm already registerd at htcdev an initiated the unlock-process for the bootloader - but currently don't execute it, becaus i'm not really sure, if i get the right version(?). At htcdev i can choose between Fyler (TUR) and Flyer (WWE). I choose WWE but don't know if that was ok....is it?
That's right, just choose Flyer (WWE). I have an Asian Flyer and chose WWE and it works.

Quote:
Ok. Please can anybody point me in the right direction - or is it really so easy as described with the steps 1) to 8) to get root on the Honeycomb-Flyer with HBOOT-1.11.0011?
Just do steps 1 to 8, you're on the right direction.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to asero For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

globatron
Old
Recognized Developer - OP
Thanks Meter 2,047

DONATE TO ME
Yes if you want stock rooted steps 1-8 will give that to you, except that you will probably want to flash the stock recovery at the end if you want to be able to take OTA updates.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to globatron For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

klaust58
Old
Thanks Meter 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by globatron View Post
Yes if you want stock rooted steps 1-8 will give that to you, except that you will probably want to flash the stock recovery at the end if you want to be able to take OTA updates.
Thanks for your answer and sorry for my bad english...

It would be nice to get OTA updates afterwards...but i did not understand your last sentence. Have i to do something after rooting to get the updates?

Is "fastboot oem lock" at the end required?

Thanks again!

calinorg
Old
Thanks Meter 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by globatron View Post
Do we take that stock recovery image from the RUU (unpack it, extract from rom.zip), or is there more elegant way (like pulling it from a device prior to flashing new recovery, if at all possible) ?

P.S. You could do a full tutorial on this subject when You get some time; I was trying to find info on stock & root without downgrading, revolutionary etc for nearly a month now (I almost threw my flyer to garbage because I bricked it while trying to avoid htc unlock. I've managed to get it back in life thanks to Your instructions )

asero
Old
Thanks Meter 8
Following the 8 steps mentioned, you will be on custom recovery.
You will still get notifications of OTA but will not be able to apply it.
So before applying the update,you must flash the stock recovery(from rom.zip of your RUU).
There's no need to do oem lock.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to asero For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

klaust58
Old
(Last edited by klaust58; 6th February 2012 at 10:48 PM.)
Thanks Meter 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by asero View Post
Following the 8 steps mentioned, you will be on custom recovery.
You will still get notifications of OTA but will not be able to apply it.
So before applying the update,you must flash the stock recovery(from rom.zip of your RUU).
There's no need to do oem lock.
Thanks all!
I'm now "root" on the Flyer

...and i have to find out, what the "rom.zip of my RUU" is.
The Following User Says Thank You to klaust58 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

calinorg
Old
Thanks Meter 42
Quote:
...and i have to find out, what the "rom.zip of my RUU" is.
rom.zip is the file that gets extracted to a temporary directory when you execute a RUU

1. Execute a RUU that corresponds to Your rom version, and wait for it to start fully.
2. Wait till the android update windows opens. Don't click on anything in that window. don't close it either, just move it out of the way, it needs to stay open.
3. Open Windows explorer (windows key+E or start menu\my computer or windows orb\computer - don't know how it's called in german windows, so your best bet would be Win+e )
4. In the address bar type
Code:
%temp%
and hit enter.
5. You'll find many files and folders there. You need to look at a folder with many numbers and letters. There will be (at least) 2 of them, You need to select one that has a similar subfolder inside - see images:
Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	75.5 KB
ID:	891956Click image for larger version

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	73.6 KB
ID:	891957
6. Inside the second subfolder You'll find rom.zip - see image:
Click image for larger version

Name:	3.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	119.8 KB
ID:	891958
7. Copy it to a safe place.
8. Hit cancel in android installer's window.
9. Use 7-zip to extract recovery_signed.img from rom.zip
10. Copy the extracted recovery_signed.img to a folder where adb and fastboot are.
11. Flash it with
Code:
fastboot flash recovery recovery_signed.img
12. Have a beer
The Following User Says Thank You to calinorg For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Isubbie
Old
(Last edited by Isubbie; 8th February 2012 at 04:03 PM.)
Thanks Meter 5

DONATE TO ME
Edit: I'm slow, and I don't know how to properly charge a tablet.

Problem: Solved.
Samsung Galaxy Nexus

omercyprus
Old
Thanks Meter 0
hi! my friends
i have Htc flyer with hboot 1.11.0011 i didnt make downgrade .File not exist megaupload can you upload again.