[Q] Root from 2.3.6?

Tip us?

kenzilla
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 4
Default [Q] Root from 2.3.6?

Sup all,

I am somewhat familiar with rooting. I rooted several tmobile g2's in the past and loaded them with CM7 and what not. However, I am having some trouble with my Tmobile Vibrant.

I recently got my phone back from samsung and it has gingerbread 2.3.6 on it. I was just wondering, how i could root the phone and flash ICS roms? All the guides i have seen are for 2.2 or 2.1 and I really dont want to brick my phone again. I don't know why working with my vibrant has been so frustrating but i would really just like to know what to do step by step.

Thanks for reading and for any help you guys provide, I really appreciate it.
The Following User Says Thank You to kenzilla For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Woody
Old
Moderator & RC/RT Committees - Particle Physics Gives me a Hadron
Thanks Meter 7586
Umm, I would be very interested to know what your "About Phone" says (since you can't get a copy of the build.prop w/o being rooted). Especially the model number, ROM description and Kernel. Samsung does not have an "official" GB ROM running for the Vibrant. The GB ROMs that we have are mainly ports and kangs and have and will never come from Sammy.

I would suggest you make sure you have a T959 and not another model and also double check the above before you do anything. Once you do that, come back and let us know and we will help you further. But until then, I would say you run a risk of screwing it up if it is the wrong model number and try to flash a T959 ROM on a T959v or I-9000 phone.
<a href=http://www.whiskey103.nl/x/sigs/Woody6_15fps.gif target=_blank rel=nofollow >http://www.whiskey103.nl/x/sigs/Woody6_15fps.gif</a>
ZFFZ

I GPL I

"The work of men of genius, however wrongly directed, hardly ever fails to open the eyes of men to new possibilities."
- Dr. Victor Frankenstein (Mary Shelley)
The Following User Says Thank You to Woody For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

geoffcorey
Old
Thanks Meter 477
I'm betting you have a galaxy s 4g (aka t959v). This is now the wrong forum for you to be looking in, since we are the vibrant section.

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710e using Tapatalk
"If we amplify everything, nothing is heard."
The Following User Says Thank You to geoffcorey For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

kenzilla
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 4
hah i bought this phone used so i didn't even know there was a 3g and 4g variant...it is the t959V

firmware version

baseband
t959VUVKJ6

kernel
2.6.35.7-t959vuvkj6-cl694130

is there anyway a moderator could have this thread moved to the appropriate section?

Thanks for your quick responses guys

kenzilla
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 4
how do i "thanks" you guys?

discinplay
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Wow. I have the EXACT same scenario. Did you ever figure it out?

Woody
Old
Moderator & RC/RT Committees - Particle Physics Gives me a Hadron
Thanks Meter 7586
Quote:
Originally Posted by discinplay View Post
Wow. I have the EXACT same scenario. Did you ever figure it out?
Probably have better luck figuring it out in the Vibrant 4g forums.
<a href=http://www.whiskey103.nl/x/sigs/Woody6_15fps.gif target=_blank rel=nofollow >http://www.whiskey103.nl/x/sigs/Woody6_15fps.gif</a>
ZFFZ

I GPL I

"The work of men of genius, however wrongly directed, hardly ever fails to open the eyes of men to new possibilities."
- Dr. Victor Frankenstein (Mary Shelley)

Tags
2.3.6, gingerbread, vibrant