Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 10
Default [Q]Is the bootloader locked?

Same as the title.
I'm a crypto-maniac.
I may use words differently than you.
My terminology
signed: When any data, file, or message has a digital signature. Does not mean that something is checked for a digital signature.
boot ROM: Code physically etched on to a chip that loads modifiable code.
bootloader: Software that starts/loads the kernel. It is erasable.
locked bootloader: A bootloader that will only boot a kernel that has a valid digital signature.

gefagan
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Since all the instructions I have seen for installing custom ROMs refer to Safestrap, I must infer that it is. -GEF

cellzealot
Old
Thanks Meter 792
Yes, locked and encrypted, like all Motorola devices, but the way the OMAP dual core security is setup it is actually the mbmloader that contains the digital signature that is checked against the OTO bits on the OMAP SoC itself or what you defined as the boot ROM and is often referred to as an E-fuse.
There is a special bootloader that allows mbmloader flashing that is part of every firmware update and both types of mbmloader.bin HS (Hardware Secure/stock) and NS (Non Secure/engineering) are included. The updater-script checks the ro.secure status of the target board and flashes the appropriate mbmloader for the device. The mbm (bootloader) is the same for both types of hardware.
The other components of the boot chain are also signed, in particular the cdt.bin, and are incremented by upgrades with new signatures and cannot be reverted to prior versions.

If you are unfamiliar with the security on Motorola devices, as would be assumed by your question, then you are in for a major challenge and a very steep learning curve perhaps.

Have fun!
CellZealot

TeamBlackHat

Digital alchemy for the Droid and beyond.

jnc8651
Old
Thanks Meter 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by cellzealot View Post
Yes, locked and encrypted, like all Motorola devices, but the way the OMAP dual core security is setup it is actually the mbmloader that contains the digital signature that is checked against the OTO bits on the OMAP SoC itself or what you defined as the boot ROM and is often referred to as an E-fuse.
There is a special bootloader that allows mbmloader flashing that is part of every firmware update and both types of mbmloader.bin HS (Hardware Secure/stock) and NS (Non Secure/engineering) are included. The updater-script checks the ro.secure status of the target board and flashes the appropriate mbmloader for the device. The mbm (bootloader) is the same for both types of hardware.
The other components of the boot chain are also signed, in particular the cdt.bin, and are incremented by upgrades with new signatures and cannot be reverted to prior versions.

If you are unfamiliar with the security on Motorola devices, as would be assumed by your question, then you are in for a major challenge and a very steep learning curve perhaps.

Have fun!

So it sounds like the OP is new with Motorola devices. I am too as well as this is my second Motorola device. I have a droid 4 and also a xoom. Where would be a good spot to learn some info you talked about above? Also How is this different from an HTC device as i am used to having a locked bootloader but that quickly being hacked and having a new one installed that allows unsigned images to be installed/ran and in turn having non stock kernels and other cool/fun stuff like that
8125 ----> att tilt cracked screen ( i miss my tilt ) ----> att fuze (digitiser is eff'ed) -----> sh1tty samsung x427m ------> att touch pro2 { lost } ---> iphone 3g :/ ----> att touch pro 2 ---> tmo htc hd2 ---> htc thunderbolt ( sold) --> Moto Droid 4+ motorola xoom ( with lte installed) ---> moto xoom ( with LTE) and a verizon samsung galaxy s3 (blue 32gb)