9th March 2012, 06:44 AM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 10

284 posts
Same as the title.
9th March 2012, 07:13 AM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 0

11 posts
Since all the instructions I have seen for installing custom ROMs refer to Safestrap, I must infer that it is. -GEF
9th March 2012, 07:17 AM   |  #3  
Flag Philadelphia, PA
Thanks Meter: 880

1,340 posts
More
Yes, locked and encrypted, like all Motorola devices, but the way the OMAP dual core security is setup it is actually the mbmloader that contains the digital signature that is checked against the OTO bits on the OMAP SoC itself or what you defined as the boot ROM and is often referred to as an E-fuse.
There is a special bootloader that allows mbmloader flashing that is part of every firmware update and both types of mbmloader.bin HS (Hardware Secure/stock) and NS (Non Secure/engineering) are included. The updater-script checks the ro.secure status of the target board and flashes the appropriate mbmloader for the device. The mbm (bootloader) is the same for both types of hardware.
The other components of the boot chain are also signed, in particular the cdt.bin, and are incremented by upgrades with new signatures and cannot be reverted to prior versions.

If you are unfamiliar with the security on Motorola devices, as would be assumed by your question, then you are in for a major challenge and a very steep learning curve perhaps.

Have fun!
13th March 2012, 06:07 AM   |  #4  
Flag San Antonio
Thanks Meter: 12

106 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by cellzealot

Yes, locked and encrypted, like all Motorola devices, but the way the OMAP dual core security is setup it is actually the mbmloader that contains the digital signature that is checked against the OTO bits on the OMAP SoC itself or what you defined as the boot ROM and is often referred to as an E-fuse.
There is a special bootloader that allows mbmloader flashing that is part of every firmware update and both types of mbmloader.bin HS (Hardware Secure/stock) and NS (Non Secure/engineering) are included. The updater-script checks the ro.secure status of the target board and flashes the appropriate mbmloader for the device. The mbm (bootloader) is the same for both types of hardware.
The other components of the boot chain are also signed, in particular the cdt.bin, and are incremented by upgrades with new signatures and cannot be reverted to prior versions.

If you are unfamiliar with the security on Motorola devices, as would be assumed by your question, then you are in for a major challenge and a very steep learning curve perhaps.

Have fun!

So it sounds like the OP is new with Motorola devices. I am too as well as this is my second Motorola device. I have a droid 4 and also a xoom. Where would be a good spot to learn some info you talked about above? Also How is this different from an HTC device as i am used to having a locked bootloader but that quickly being hacked and having a new one installed that allows unsigned images to be installed/ran and in turn having non stock kernels and other cool/fun stuff like that
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread